WTF is wrong with people?

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Why would you even want these?

Okay, yes I go to church, yes I believe in God, but I don't wear my religion on my sleeve.

I could best be described as "hedging my bets". For me, it's a win-win. If the atheists are right, I get to float around the universe. If I'm right, they'll be treading lava.

Why push it?

Lil Nas X's unofficial 'Satan' Nikes containing human blood sell out in under a minute

1617036811737.png

Rapper and singer Lil Nas X launched a controversial pair of "Satan Shoes" featuring a bronze pentagram, an inverted cross and a drop of real human blood -- and they sold out almost immediately.
The black and red sneakers, part of a collaboration between Lil Nas X and New York-based art collective MSCHF, were made using Nike Air Max 97s, though the sportswear brand has distanced itself from the design.
In an emailed statement to CNN, Nike said it was not involved in creating the modified sneakers. "We do not have a relationship with Lil Nas or MSCHF," the company said. "Nike did not design or release these shoes and we do not endorse them."

MSCHF confirmed March 29 that the limited-edition "drop" of 666 pairs sold out in less than a minute.
They were priced at $1,018 a pair, a reference to the Bible passage Luke 10:18 that reads: "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven." Each shoe's air bubble sole contains 60 cubic centimeters (2.03 fluid ounces) of red ink and "one drop" of human blood, according to MSCHF.
A MSCHF spokesperson said the blood had been provided by members of the art collective, adding: "We love to sacrifice for our art." The group also confirmed to CNN that Nike was "not involved in this in any capacity."
The 'Satan Shoes' will launch Monday as a limited-edition release.

The shoes sparked outrage online over the weekend, and attracted criticism from a number of high-profile political and religious figures, including South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem and the evangelical pastor Mark Burns. The latter described the sneakers in a tweet as "evil" and "heresy." Some fans of the "Old Town Road" rapper, meanwhile, tweeted their support and desire to own a pair.

In response, Lil Nas X (whose real name is Montero Lamar Hill), posted a video to his official YouTube account titled "Lil Nas X Apologizes for Satan Shoe," which has now been viewed over 1.8 million times. But after a few seconds, the apparent apology cuts to a scene from his new music video, "Montero (Call Me By Your Name)," showing him dancing provocatively with a devil character. The rapper is then pictured snapping the devil's neck, before removing his horned crown and assuming it himself.
The day after Lil Nas X released the music video, he responded to the backlash over its rebellious religious imagery. "I spent my entire teenage years hating myself because of the shit y'all preached would happen to me because i was gay," he wrote. "So i hope u are mad, stay mad, feel the same anger you teach us to have towards ourselves."

The collective Lil Nas X worked with on the "Satan" shoe, MSCHF, is known for its irreverent "drops," a series of tongue-in-cheek art projects unveiled once every two weeks. In 2019, the collective released limited edition "Jesus Shoes" -- also made from Nike Air Max 97 sneakers -- which featured a steel crucifix and "holy water" sourced from the Jordan River.
Other drops have seen the collective sell a laptop installed with some of the world's most dangerous computer viruses for over $1.3 million. In February, meanwhile, the group ripped apart four Hermès Birkin bags in order to create a collection of sandals priced between $34,000 and $76,000.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Just looks like a regular shoe with some pentagrams slapped on it, I'm more offended that this shit sold out that fast but celebrity worship is a weird thing.

Edit: Anyway I wouldn't wear these things but wouldn't think wearing them would send you to hell if you are really a good person. I find it weird people think they'll automatically go to heaven just for being christian or hell if they're atheist.

Last edited:

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Just looks like a regular shoe with some pentagrams slapped on it, I'm more offended that this shit sold out that fast but celebrity worship is a weird thing.

Celebrity worship? Or Satan worship?

Both are protected by the First Amendment.

Seems like there would be some legal issues though, with placing actual human blood inside them.

Last edited:
Reactions: weblooker2021

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Falls under art category so I'm not sure why I should care about people who have trouble with it or the project itself.
Its a limited run art project involving people demonized by American religious assholes.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Not for me. At least he is up front about it. All those evangelicals who pretend to be morally superior yet worship the golden calf that is Trump

Reactions: thilanliyan

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

Edit: Anyway I wouldn't wear these things but wouldn't think wearing them would send you to hell if you are really a good person. I find it weird people think they'll automatically go to heaven just for being christian or hell if they're atheist.
They only made 666 pairs so selling out isn't all that impressive.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I could best be described as "hedging my bets". For me, it's a win-win. If the atheists are right, I get to float around the universe. If I'm right, they'll be treading lava.

Why push it?

I mean I don't get this line. You're essentially saying that your God is a dumbass and that you can game his system.
If your God exists in the way you believe I don't see that going well!

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I mean I don't get this line. You're essentially saying that your God is a dumbass and that you can game his system.
Not to mention I would never serve or worship such a shit deity even if he does exist.

Reactions: soulcougher73

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I can see why this bothers people though. Kids love that Old Town Road song and he went to schools and stuff and is a figure that kids look up to because of the music. And now he's out there promoting satanic stuff. Just kind of strange and I can see why parents would be bothered by this if their kids like him and his music and now they are going to be asking for devil shoes.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

He's also ignoring the fact that there's been thousands of Gods thought up over the years. Even if there was one it's pretty unlikely that he picked the right one.

Reactions: pmv

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Why would you even want these?

Okay, yes I go to church, yes I believe in God, but I don't wear my religion on my sleeve.

Why push it?
I get the game theory idea of belief in god, but here's my issue with it: faith is supposed to be a genuine belief in something you cannot prove.
Believing in something because of game theory is not what I would consider genuine belief. You're doing it because game theory indicates that is the best course of action. Which defeats the whole idea of faith to begin with.

Not knocking you, just stating my position on the subject.

As far as the shoes go, it's essentially an art project. They can do whatever the hell they want, basically.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Not to mention I would never serve or worship such a shit deity even if he does exist.
Well yeah, but it's kinda interesting to see people who belive in a certain God try to game that God's system. I mean its not unusual to the OP, it's a pretty accepted part of a lot of religious cultures.
It just weirds me out that someone can belive in a divine all knowing being, say that they are going to be part of that beings religion and okay its laws, then kinda do the fingers crossed behind their back and wink thing and expect their all seeing God not to notice.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
He's also ignoring the fact that there's been thousands of Gods thought up over the years. Even if there was one it's pretty unlikely that he picked the right one.
Thats not really relevant to this issue though, it's one thing not to follow the rules to something you don't believe in (that's just normal), not following the rules when you do belive is the thing that confuses me.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
I get the game theory idea of belief in god, but here's my issue with it: faith is supposed to be a genuine belief in something you cannot prove.
Believing in something because of game theory is not what I would consider genuine belief. You're doing it because game theory indicates that is the best course of action. Which defeats the whole idea of faith to begin with.

As far as the shoes go, it's essentially an art project. They can do whatever the hell they want, basically.

The game theory thing doesn't even work because there's so many different iterations of a God/Gods. If you were picking a God to worship because you're afraid of the consequences then you'd probably want to pick the God with the worst hell, so you wouldn't end up there.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
LOL
Prior projects
mayonnaise - YouTube

man eating food - YouTube

MSCHF, is known for its irreverent "drops," a series of tongue-in-cheek art projects unveiled once every two weeks. In 2019, the collective released limited edition "Jesus Shoes" -- also made from Nike Air Max 97 sneakers -- which featured a steel crucifix and "holy water" sourced from the Jordan River.
Other drops have seen the collective sell a laptop installed with some of the world's most dangerous computer viruses for over $1.3 million. In February, meanwhile, the group ripped apart four Hermès Birkin bags in order to create a collection of sandals priced between $34,000 and $76,000.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Thats not really relevant to this issue though, it's one thing not to follow the rules to something you don't believe in (that's just normal), not following the rules when you do belive is the thing that confuses me.

Yea, I'm taking about his "win-win" comment. It's not a "win-win", for all he knows there's a God that's hidden himself and will only punish people that believe in false Gods, rewarding us atheists for not believing.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018

Except that it's NOT just "art project". Granted according to them, it's only a "single drop of human blood", but I seen over the years, auctions get kicked off of eBay for people wanting to sell one of their kidneys.

You can't sell human body parts in the United States, it's illegal. At least, it was.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Maybe I was being a little facetious.
Fair point!

That said I'd take the shoes less seriously as well! I get that he's making money out of being frivolous with your religion but it's gotta be less offensive than those preachers that get the gullible to buy them a private jet!

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Except that it's NOT just "art project". Granted according to them, it's only a "single drop of human blood", but I seen over the years, auctions get kicked off of eBay for people wanting to sell one of their kidneys.

You can't sell human body parts in the United States, it's illegal. At least, it was.
Well I can see a difference between a kidney and a single drop of blood!

Reactions: Pohemi