WTF! I suck at teh rice cooker

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhill

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: SunnyD
That's it, I'm fucking making rice tonight! This pain in the ass isn't going to beat me!

I've had good luck cooking rice on the stove with the following method:

1 part rice
2 parts water

Boil water and add rice, stir briefly, reduce to simmer and cover for 20 minutes on the smallest burner. Do not remove cover before 20 minutes. If rice is not done just cover for about 5 more minutes or until water is absorbed. I use a medium size sauce pan with cover.

I use Calrose rice mostly and this method makes perfect sticky rice every time for me.

Good luck! :wine:

Or he could just get a cheap rice cooker and just throw the ingredients in and forget about timing it or anything. Then when it's done it will automatically keep the rice warm for you until your ready to eat it. Perfect rice without ever looking at the clock.

tfcmasta97

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2004
Originally posted by: sdifox
Originally posted by: sonambulo
Okay, what is your make and model of rice cooker? What brand of rice are you using? What have you tried so far?

This one.

I honestly can't tell you what rices I've used. I do know that the latest one is Nature's Promise brand organic brown rice.

I think I found my problem. Other than not rinsing the rice...

What type of measurements are used with the Oster® Rice Cooker and Instruction Manual?

Measurements are in Chinese quantities, not regular ounces. One American cup is equal to 3/4 Chinese cup.

Stupid ass Chinese. It NEVER said this in the print manual.

Err, they gave you a cup no? Hint, use measuring instrument included with product.

Lmao "stupid ass chinese" from a guy who cant make rice in a rice cooker.

some people just dont appreciate irony anymore.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
That's it, I'm fucking making rice tonight! This pain in the ass isn't going to beat me!

1 part rice
2 parts water

Boil water and add rice, stir briefly, reduce to simmer and cover for 20 minutes on the smallest burner. Do not remove cover before 20 minutes. If rice is not done just cover for about 5 more minutes or until water is absorbed. I use a medium size sauce pan with cover.

I use Calrose rice mostly and this method makes perfect sticky rice every time for me.

If i bought you a $300 dollar rice cooker would you use it? ;)

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: E equals MC2
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
Originally posted by: waffleironhead
Seriously, what the hell am I doing wrong? Did I get a defective rice cooker or what? Every time I make rice in it, it sticks to the pot, the rice itself is sticky and soggy, and it just doesn't turn out right. I specifically got a rice cooker because I could never cook it on the stove top right. Is there some special secret to these things?

Why in hell do you need a rice cooker? Just fill up the pot, put the rice in there, let it boil for five minutes less than it says it should, pour out water, let it sit for five minutes with the lid on... perfect rice every time.

I swear you people love to complicate simple shit with technology you don't need.

You boil rice???!!??? Ohh teh noes... you are doing it wrong. Rice doesnt like to be boiled.

That's also wrong. As long you boil it pressurized (with lid on), rice comes out perfect. How do you think the people cooked rice in the old days?

Him pouring out water is messed up, but cooking rice on a stove top is fine - which is no different than what a cooker does minus automated timing.

You should pour it out, it's all loose starch.

Explain to me why loose starch (like floured sugar) that does absolutely nothing for the taste shouldn't be pulled out....

And of course you keep the lid on at all times, why waste time and energy? You pour out the starch and let it sit, even brown full grain rice that i eat releases starch.

Lemme guess, a bit obese?

Starch is PART of rice and what makes it chewy and tasty. I grew up in Korea and the entire nation of Koreans do this (or any Asians for that matter). Yea, we're all suffering from obesity.

Who the heck makes watery rice then drain it after it's cooked? No offense, are you white? You wash the rice when it's RAW to shed off dust and starch, not afterwards.

I am as white as any other Brit i guess, does that matter to you?

The loose starch and shit does not dissolve in cold water unless you lay it in there for a good 24h, now i do know something about cooking, i'm a captain in the SAS and rice starch is known to cause problems for some so we do it this way to get rid of the starch on our whole grain rice, it's simple, it's excellent and it's the best way to do it unless you really need to fill your belly with diabetes 2 causing simple sugars.

Rice isn't tasty any way you do it when you have full grain rice, it tastes pretty much bland no matter how you cook it unless you do what i did the other day and go by tablespoons instead of teaspoons, in my defense i had been up for 72 hours.

None of us are asian and none of us give a shit about the rice either, we eat it to fill up our bellies, the tasty part of the meal is the meat and the rice is always drained in soy on everyones plate anyway so all it tastes is soy.

Jun 26, 2007
Seriously, what the hell am I doing wrong? Did I get a defective rice cooker or what? Every time I make rice in it, it sticks to the pot, the rice itself is sticky and soggy, and it just doesn't turn out right. I specifically got a rice cooker because I could never cook it on the stove top right. Is there some special secret to these things?

Why in hell do you need a rice cooker? Just fill up the pot, put the rice in there, let it boil for five minutes less than it says it should, pour out water, let it sit for five minutes with the lid on... perfect rice every time.

I swear you people love to complicate simple shit with technology you don't need.

You boil rice???!!??? Ohh teh noes... you are doing it wrong. Rice doesnt like to be boiled.

That's also wrong. As long you boil it pressurized (with lid on), rice comes out perfect. How do you think the people cooked rice in the old days?

I've neglected the accurate term usage. What you're talking about it right. I assumed JohnOfSheffield's method of 'boiling' as without the lid on (you can't BOIL with lid on or your pot will explode). Yours and my method is correct. I have no idea what JohnOfSheffield is doing by 'pouring out' the water.

If you pour out the water then let it sit in order to be not runny, then u should've never put excess water in the first place, resulting in perfectly chewy, moist, non-watery rice.

Him pouring out water is messed up, but cooking rice on a stove top is fine - which is no different than what a cooker does minus automated timing.

I have *NEVER* boiled rice. I rasie the water to boiling point with rice in it then reduce to simmer. I simmer the rice for proper consistency and flavor. Boiling blows away all of the natural flavors and aromas. Sure you can boil the rice if you are in a hurry, but why?

Besides you not knowing how to quote, you don't know shit about food either

oh really?

A facebook link? Get back when you are all grown up and we'll talk about it son.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

1 part rice
2 parts water

If i bought you a $300 dollar rice cooker would you use it? ;)

Sure, I'd give it a try. :laugh: Why not?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Jhill

1 part rice
2 parts water

Or he could just get a cheap rice cooker and just throw the ingredients in and forget about timing it or anything. Then when it's done it will automatically keep the rice warm for you until your ready to eat it. Perfect rice without ever looking at the clock.

Let's not get into that whole debate again...:shocked:

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006

I've neglected the accurate term usage. What you're talking about it right. I assumed JohnOfSheffield's method of 'boiling' as without the lid on (you can't BOIL with lid on or your pot will explode). Yours and my method is correct. I have no idea what JohnOfSheffield is doing by 'pouring out' the water.

If you pour out the water then let it sit in order to be not runny, then u should've never put excess water in the first place, resulting in perfectly chewy, moist, non-watery rice.

I have *NEVER* boiled rice. I rasie the water to boiling point with rice in it then reduce to simmer. I simmer the rice for proper consistency and flavor. Boiling blows away all of the natural flavors and aromas. Sure you can boil the rice if you are in a hurry, but why?

Besides you not knowing how to quote, you don't know shit about food either

oh really?

A facebook link? Get back when you are all grown up and we'll talk about it son.

Son? Oh shit here comes the bad ass 40 yr old! I gave you too much credit... I show you a link proving my enthusiasm in cooking and you make fun of its site?

My 16 yr old brother act more mature than you.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Nitemare
You need a $300 rice cooker. It's the only way to make good rice, especially if you're Asian...:p

the thread is now complete...

Hey, 99 out of 100 Asians approve of my post! :laugh:;)

Que? are you calling Nitemare fat?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
oh really?

That looks delicious, what is it?

Homemade New England Snow-crab Crab Cake with angel hair pasta and chili sauteed asparagus with zesty lemon mustard sauce. Made one for my lady for Vday.

Recipe please? I've never had much luck making crab cakes.

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
oh really?

Homemade New England Snow-crab Crab Cake with angel hair pasta and chili sauteed asparagus with zesty lemon mustard sauce. Made one for my lady for Vday.

here you go.

As with any profession, it's actually incredibly easy to make it. You just have to make it look pretty (ie presentation as I've done) in order to impress ppl.

Read the comments- ppl don't like the nasty raw-egg sauce and recommend the lemon mustard sauce instead (look it up on the site as well).

The angel hair pasta and asaparagus is just standard cooking & sauteeing.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
oh really?

here you go.

As with any profession, it's actually incredibly easy to make it. You just have to make it look pretty (ie presentation as I've done) in order to impress ppl.

Read the comments- ppl don't like the nasty raw-egg sauce and recommend the lemon mustard sauce instead (look it up on the site as well).

The angel hair pasta and asaparagus is just standard cooking & sauteeing.

Thinking about it I don't think I've ever actually made crab cakes. I have had some that were to die for and others that I wouldn't feed to my dog though. I did buy some that were pre-made and I just warmed them up, those were the ones I wouldn't feed my dog. ;)

Thanks for the recipe! I'll definitely try it out. :beer::thumbsup:

BTW-If you like eggs benedict, try making crab cakes benedict! It's extremely rich but it is to die for! ;)

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
I threw my rice cooker away this weekend. The 'automatic cooking sensor' was actually an 'automatic shitty rice sensor'.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: sdifox
You need a $300 rice cooker. It's the only way to make good rice, especially if you're Asian...:p

Que? are you calling Nitemare fat?

?

Nightmare = 99 Asians. That is one lardass asian.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Safeway
I threw my rice cooker away this weekend. The 'automatic cooking sensor' was actually an 'automatic shitty rice sensor'.

should have kept it as a steamer.

Chryso

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2004

I hope you have $300 for a new one. :D

Any recommendations for a good cheap rice cooker?

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
In other words...using a rice cooker doesn't make it any easier to cook rice if you don't already know how to cook rice in a pot.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Chryso

I hope you have $300 for a new one. :D

Any recommendations for a good cheap rice cooker?

You can pick up a nice one with fuzzy logic for like $100-125 bucks.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

Nah I have a POS $50 rice cooker and the Korean rice it makes it perfectly moist, steamy and chewy. But since it's a POS $50 one, it's really bad at KEEPING the rice warm vs my parents' $300 one that can keep the rice forever without quick browning like mine.

That's the biggest difference between cheap and expensive rice cooker. Cheap ones can cook rice decent but it's horrible at keeping rice warm without drying and turning it brown. Expensive rice cookers will keep rice warm for days in edible condition.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
LOLZ @ rice cooker threads, I read so many here & on Fat Wallet I bought 3, gave them to friends as I slowly broke down & bought a Zoji.

<----White Boy that loves his Zoji :laugh: