WTF! I suck at teh rice cooker

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Seriously, what the hell am I doing wrong? Did I get a defective rice cooker or what? Every time I make rice in it, it sticks to the pot, the rice itself is sticky and soggy, and it just doesn't turn out right. I specifically got a rice cooker because I could never cook it on the stove top right. Is there some special secret to these things?

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
RTFM? Maybe you aren't adding the right amount of water or using the wrong rice or something.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Aflac
RTFM? Maybe you aren't adding the right amount of water or using the wrong rice or something.

I'm thinking the latter, but could be the former too. I've tried the cooker's recommended amounts, I've tried the rice's recommended amounts, I've used various types of rice. I fail at rice.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Wash rinse rice about 4 times.

Add clean water about 3/4th - 1inch above the rice line.

Let it cook whether it be quick cook or the long way.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Depends on the rice.

I usually do 1:1 jasmine rice:water + ~1/4-1/2 cup additional water

sniperruff

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
1) get bag of jasmine rice
2) use cup provided with ricecooker to measure rice
3) use marking inside rice cooker to measure water (1 cup of rice -> fill water up to "1" marking, with rice already inside pot)
4) press button
5) after rice is done cooking, do not open lid, let sit for 10 minutes to cool down slightly

enjoy!

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
With the rice cooker we have at home, I would put four scoops (I believe these are one cup each, not too sure) of jasmine rice, and then fill water up to the 4 1/4 line on the rice cooker pot (I have no idea what measurement this is). I never washed rice and it turned out just fine. Of course, I dont' remember the brand of the rice cooker now either...

Jhill

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Jules Maximus better stay away from this thread or I will bitch slap him.

Read the Manual.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Seriously, what the hell am I doing wrong? Did I get a defective rice cooker or what? Every time I make rice in it, it sticks to the pot, the rice itself is sticky and soggy, and it just doesn't turn out right. I specifically got a rice cooker because I could never cook it on the stove top right. Is there some special secret to these things?

You should have gotten a Zori rice cooker with [Ricardo Montalbán] Fine Corinthian Leather [/Ricardo Montalbán]

the finest you can buy..

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Jhill
Jules Maximus better stay away from this thread or I will bitch slap him.

Read the Manuel.

What does Manuel have written on him? He's dancing around a bit too much for me to read it right now.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
lulz

Proof that if one cannot cook something so simple as rice in pot then a gadget isn't necessarily going to help. Go back to cereal, do not pass toast, do not collect teh win.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Originally posted by: Aflac

I'm thinking the latter, but could be the former too. I've tried the cooker's recommended amounts, I've tried the rice's recommended amounts, I've used various types of rice. I fail at rice.
don't give up!!!!

I am sure with a little patience and practice you will succeed.

we believe in you.

hope that helps.

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
rice cooker brand? from first glance at your post, you're using too much water. try cutting the amount of water by 1/4th and see what happens.

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
Okay, what is your make and model of rice cooker? What brand of rice are you using? What have you tried so far?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: sonambulo
Okay, what is your make and model of rice cooker? What brand of rice are you using? What have you tried so far?

This one.

I honestly can't tell you what rices I've used. I do know that the latest one is Nature's Promise brand organic brown rice.

I think I found my problem. Other than not rinsing the rice...

What type of measurements are used with the Oster® Rice Cooker and Instruction Manual?

Measurements are in Chinese quantities, not regular ounces. One American cup is equal to 3/4 Chinese cup.

Stupid ass Chinese. It NEVER said this in the print manual.

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
You need to hit up a local asian supermarket and get the "Tiger" brand. They're expensive but good!

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
The cup you are using to scoop rice with... use that same container to add water. Normally, 1:1 works out fine. You could put a little less. Always let the rice sit after it's done. Don't open the rice cooker for 15 to 30 minutes.

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Take it from an asian guy - you add the rice, how many cups you need. Then fill it up with water. you measure it by sticking your index finger in there. Let the water come up to the "first line" on your finger.
So basically from the top of the rice (once it settles in the pot) to the first mark on your finger is where your water needs to be.

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
In addition to the correct amount of water (i usually eyeball it to the pot's markers, but it doesnt need to be exact in my opinion), be sure to let the rice sit there after the cooker says it is finished cooking and puts itself in the warm or off state for about 10 to 15 minutes. You wont have anything stick to the bottom.

Be sure to keep the lid on.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Just go buy Minute Rice. Doesn't sound like you're ready for real rice yet... Baby steps your grasshopper...