"Write Protect" error on Olympus digital camera... how to fix?

imported_Tomato

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2002
When I turn on my digital camera, all functions work but it won't allow me to take pictures. When I press down on the button, a "WRITE PROTECT!" error message comes up. Is there a way to fix this without having to take it into the shop?

*feeling horribly tech-illiterate*

EDIT: Apparently I can't spell, either. :(

EDIT #2: Thank you, okay for Mods to lock if necessary. :)

EDIT #3: Doh! It's actually an Olympus digital camera... my old one was a Sony, and I got confused. I've tried everything, and all functions work fine except for that damn "Write Protect!". Any more suggestions?

EDIT #4: Formatted, it works perfectly again. :) Thank you, ATOT! :heart:

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
Were you able to take pictures before? What type of memory does the camera use?

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
If it's a Sony, I know MemoryStick has a switch to turn write protection on...

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
There's probably a switch on the memory card to keep it from being written to. I'm just gueesing, but that's the case with Memory Sticks.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
regardless of what brand it is, chances are the memory card has the write protection switch on... just look for a switch of some sort....

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
Originally posted by: gopunk
regardless of what brand it is, chances are the memory card has the write protection switch on... just look for a switch of some sort....

My guess as well

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
it's an olympus that means it probably uses smart media. SM doesn't have a switch IIRC. (or possibly XD)

Do you have a card reader? Does the card read in it?

imported_Tomato

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2002
Originally posted by: fivespeed5
it's an olympus that means it probably uses smart media. SM doesn't have a switch IIRC. (or possibly XD)

I didn't see a switch when I checked the memory card... and no, I don't have a card reader...

Electric Amish, RTFM?

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
Have you checked your owner's manual? Maybe there is a suggestion in the troubleshooting section.
If it uses SmartMedia, there's a chance the card is scratched or something. Does this happen with different cards? If not, SM is super-cheap so you should just toss the bad one and get another.

imported_Tomato

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2002
Originally posted by: BigSmooth
Have you checked your owner's manual? Maybe there is a suggestion in the troubleshooting section.
If it uses SmartMedia, there's a chance the card is scratched or something. Does this happen with different cards? If not, SM is super-cheap so you should just toss the bad one and get another.

Unfortunately, I managed to lose the manual shortly after purchasing the camera... I haven't tried different cards, but it sounds like I'll be bringing it into Fry's for SM.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Dezign

I didn't see a switch when I checked the memory card... and no, I don't have a card reader...

Electric Amish, RTFM?

RTFM = Read The F*cking Manual

imported_Tomato

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2002
Originally posted by: freegeeks

Electric Amish, RTFM?

RTFM = Read The F*cking Manual

Wish I could, thx...

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
Originally posted by: BigSmooth

Unfortunately, I managed to lose the manual shortly after purchasing the camera... I haven't tried different cards, but it sounds like I'll be bringing it into Fry's for SM.
If possible, I would try formatting the card first as well.
SM is pretty cheap, though.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
The Smartmedia Memory Card is an SSFDC (Solid State Floppy Disk Card) removable memory card. With a card like this you can record and erase data from Cameras, MP3 Players, Handheld PC's and more. A Smartmedia Memory Card is very small and thin. It is about 1/64 of an inch thick, (The Thickness is an estimated guess be me.) 1-¾ inches in length and 1-½ inches wide. Actual Dimensions are 45mm x 37mm x 0.76mm and the Weight is approximately 1.8g. There is a gold metal like area on the card, this is the contact area with the device for storing and deleting your photos or data. (DO NOT TOUCH THE GOLD AREA.) You will see a little circle in the right center of the card, this is the write-protect area. To make a Smartmedia Memory Card read only place a write-protect adhesive seal over the circle.

Removing the write-protect adhesive seal will make the card like it was before so you can place data or your photos back on it. Smartmedia Memory Card come with a static-free sleeve and plastic case for storage. Usually included are index labels and write-protect adhesive seals. Use a little common sense when handling these tiny storage cards, you could damage them if misused. Storage sizes come in 8, 16, 32, 64 and 128MB. (Megabytes) Each Smartmedia Memory Card is marked on what size they are on the outside of the card. The 8MB and 16MB cards are the Olympus cards.The Olympus Camedia Smartmedia Memory Card have a Panorama function. The 2048x1536 Resolution is in the High Quality Mode and the 1280x960 & 640x480 Resolutions are in the Normal mode of camera.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
is there a little circle in the right center of the card??? if so this is the write protect area
make sure there is no seal on that circle

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
what kind of camera is it, someone here probably has an olympus. There SHOULD be a way to format the card in the camera itself. If that doesn't work just buy another like BigSmooth suggested
There should definitely be an option to format the card somewhere in the delete options... at least there has been on every camera I've used.

imported_Tomato

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Brutuskend
The Smartmedia Memory Card is an SSFDC (Solid State Floppy Disk Card) removable memory card. With a card like this you can record and erase data from Cameras, MP3 Players, Handheld PC's and more. A Smartmedia Memory Card is very small and thin. It is about 1/64 of an inch thick, (The Thickness is an estimated guess be me.) 1-¾ inches in length and 1-½ inches wide. Actual Dimensions are 45mm x 37mm x 0.76mm and the Weight is approximately 1.8g. There is a gold metal like area on the card, this is the contact area with the device for storing and deleting your photos or data. (DO NOT TOUCH THE GOLD AREA.) You will see a little circle in the right center of the card, this is the write-protect area. To make a Smartmedia Memory Card read only place a write-protect adhesive seal over the circle.

Removing the write-protect adhesive seal will make the card like it was before so you can place data or your photos back on it. Smartmedia Memory Card come with a static-free sleeve and plastic case for storage. Usually included are index labels and write-protect adhesive seals. Use a little common sense when handling these tiny storage cards, you could damage them if misused. Storage sizes come in 8, 16, 32, 64 and 128MB. (Megabytes) Each Smartmedia Memory Card is marked on what size they are on the outside of the card. The 8MB and 16MB cards are the Olympus cards.The Olympus Camedia Smartmedia Memory Card have a Panorama function. The 2048x1536 Resolution is in the High Quality Mode and the 1280x960 & 640x480 Resolutions are in the Normal mode of camera.

Phew, sounds like that should work... thank you so much, I'll check and see if there's a write-protect adhesive seal on the card when I go home for lunch today. Will be back in ~3 hours with Model # and verdict.

You guys are the best, thank you so much. :)

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
if there's not an option in the cam to format, winxp should allow you to do it when you hook it up to the computer.