wowowow Surface Pro review

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chrono

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2001
Was going to get one but got the zenbook prime with touchscreen instead. Too awesome of an ultrabook.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Microsoft shipped all of my accessories (type cover, wedge mouse and office 365) in different shipments. Disappointing that none of them were the actual Surface Pro. The Wedge Mouse seems... weird..

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
if you order from microsoftstore.com, you'll get it by 3/1... after messing around with it, I realized that I shouldn't buy this one... I need better battery life, and last but not least, I need a data plan. Plus there are way too many bugs in windows 8 as of right now... even fully updated, I'm having weird shutdown/wake up issues, and lag issues with the pen.

I had to fully shut the system down 'cause my pen started lagging like crazy.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I got one. It is perfect for what I wanted it for. It fits easily in my backpack, with full cover, and I'll mostly be using it to take notes and give powerpoint presentations and general school related activities. The power issue hasn't been a problem yet as it has lasted through all of my classes, and most of my classrooms have plugs on the desk anyway.

Haven't run into any bugs either.

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
No bugs here either. Runs smooth and not once has it had any shutdown or wake up issues. Pen works very well too. Battery life is my only concern so far. Other than that, I really like the surface pro. Way better than my ol' lappy. :)

Oct 19, 2000
if you order from microsoftstore.com, you'll get it by 3/1... after messing around with it, I realized that I shouldn't buy this one... I need better battery life, and last but not least, I need a data plan. Plus there are way too many bugs in windows 8 as of right now... even fully updated, I'm having weird shutdown/wake up issues, and lag issues with the pen.

I had to fully shut the system down 'cause my pen started lagging like crazy.

I'm curious about your need for a data plan...why not tether to your cell phone data plan? I've seen some comments about Surface not having a 3g/4g/lte option, but I think anybody who would buy one of these would already have a cell data plan they could piggy-back off of. I know with AT&T's new mobile-share plans, tethering is included, so it's really pointless to even pay the extra $10 to add a tablet. I'm assuming it's similar with Verizon but I don't know if tethering is included there. If not, that probably answers my question to you, if you have Verizon. :)

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
One thing I will say about this guy is it runs Star Craft 2 and Diablo 3 like a champ. Have to turn down the pretties a bit, but still enjoyable.

Edit: Sim City would probably be a hoot on this thing.... May have to pick that up when it comes out.

Last edited:

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
because I'm on sprint. Voice/data go over the same channel. Plus I hate to piggy back off of things. I want things to be integrated. I mean, i CAN purchase a verizon USB 4g lte modem, but I would rather have that be built in.

Plus exchange active sync requires ssl :( my iphone, adroid, wp7/8 requires no such thing!!! :mad:

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
Agreed, SimCity would be a killer program for the Pro.

just get the older sim city.. it'll work... There's a flash based sim city also...

Oh yeah, Phone as a modem will KILL my phone battery on my 4s... and that's on 3G data...

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I tried the beta on my surface pro. It doesn't run. It thinks that it's running in a virtual machine for some reason. It's really annoying.

Weird.

I had heard someone suffer the same thing with a different game. I think it was BF3, or Origin itself. Could have been Diablo 3 but I'm pretty sure it was BF3.

I haven't tried installing any games - I haven't even left the house with this thing, and why would I play on something inferior in every way to my desktop (save for the touch and extremely portable factor).

That said, I'll eventually get around to installing some kind of game. I don't even know what I'd prefer in this form factor, or to have portable.

Canbacon

Dec 24, 2007
Yes, it was BF3 that people were trying to play on the Surface Pro.

I can definitely say it is Origin and the authenticator. However, I can't say much more than they are working on a fix very quickly.

I just got mine and I'm really liking it so far. I would definitely recommend people do the 100 point calibration.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
What's everyone using for protection/storage?

I'm looking at the Incipio Nylon Sleeve , and it looks pretty nice - but I imagine people might be using other things out there?

I really like the look of that, I just want to make sure I'm not wasting money and/or screwing myself by not getting something that could work even better.

Ultimately, it would just store the Pro w/Type cover, power brick, and maybe something else small but likely not needing anything else (the option to store anything else would be welcome).
The Incipio sleeve seems to have limited additional storage. But again, I like how it looks. But if something is just as good for $20 or $30 elsewhere (especially available locally), I'd take a look.

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
I bought the nylon sleeve and it works great if you were only to carry the pro itself w/ type pad. The brick can go into it but its tight. They do have another version that can carry the brick but they were out of stock at the time. (Microsoft store). Anyway its nice and easy to carry and keeps the pro clean. Has a pouch to carry small items in front too.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I bought the nylon sleeve and it works great if you were only to carry the pro itself w/ type pad. The brick can go into it but its tight. They do have another version that can carry the brick but they were out of stock at the time. (Microsoft store). Anyway its nice and easy to carry and keeps the pro clean. Has a pouch to carry small items in front too.

So, you have the sleeve by Incipio?

You mean you can fit the power brick in some other spot, as opposed to the pouch in front? And speaking of the pouch, that is the zipped pocket/pouch, yes?

Can you point me to the other one you are talking about? It should be on microsoftstore.com

Looks like some one is making a swype style keyboard for Win8. A teaser video has been posted today.

http://www.touchpal.com/en/downloadswin8.html

Gah! I read "looks like someone is making" ... "keyboard"
and I got all excited that a battery-toting keyboard dock was officially on the way.

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
So, you have the sleeve by Incipio?

You mean you can fit the power brick in some other spot, as opposed to the pouch in front? And speaking of the pouch, that is the zipped pocket/pouch, yes?

Can you point me to the other one you are talking about? It should be on microsoftstore.com

Yes, I do have the Incipio, red one, with the zipped pouch in front. I tried putting the brick into the front but its way to tight. So, I have put it behind the pro when carrying. I don't do it all the time but it can fit, with a bit of a bulge though. The front zipper pouch is used for flash drives and other small items along with the stylus.

As for the other pouch that first interested me, was out of stock. When I was in the Microsoft store, the guy that was helping me out made the comment about it. Said it had a spot for the brick. I really wanted to take a look at it too. Bummer.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
Okay, so I decided NOT to purchase type-cover nor touch cover. Instead, I opted for Logitech's illuminated Bluetooth keyboard, and HP's Bluetooth laser mouse. Cost me about the same :)

Though carrying these devices makes it such a pain, but playing games it's perfect. Problem with the current touch covers is the fact that I want a stiffer hinge, or at least something that has a built in battery. that'll be awesome!

After using the surface for about a week, I can say that the screen size does bother me. Using it like an actual computer, it's really hard to see. I currently have everything set to 125%. I really want like a 13" surface, or maybe even 15".

I installed Office 2010 Pro Plus on this device and the inking really works on OneNote. It works through the suite, but the eraser doesn't work (the one in the rear - you'd have to manually select the eraser)!! Office 365 works like a charm, and it looks a little better. But with Microsoft's new policy for office 2013... I don't know if I want to jump on that band wagon.

Sending hand written emails is fun too. Fresh paint has a problem with the eraser: it's so insanely slow! I have experienced the bug when the system goes into hibernation, and when you wake it up, it looses it's wireless connection for no reason at all. I have to just connect to it again. Also, on my VPN account, once I connect to the workplace, I don't know how to change the credentials what so ever...

Mail/Calendar/People app will NOT work with EAS without SSL. So what does that mean? I can't use my unsigned exchange server, granted it works with my Palm Pre, iPhone 4, Windows Phone 7, Android Phone, Nexus 7, etc... So I don't have the tile to alert me of my calendar events :(

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I installed Office 2010 Pro Plus on this device and the inking really works on OneNote. It works through the suite, but the eraser doesn't work (the one in the rear - you'd have to manually select the eraser)!! Office 365 works like a charm, and it looks a little better. But with Microsoft's new policy for office 2013... I don't know if I want to jump on that band wagon.

thanks for the report.

After thinking about it long and hard, I think I'll wait for the 2nd gen.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Okay, so I decided NOT to purchase type-cover nor touch cover. Instead, I opted for Logitech's illuminated Bluetooth keyboard, and HP's Bluetooth laser mouse. Cost me about the same :)

Though carrying these devices makes it such a pain, but playing games it's perfect. Problem with the current touch covers is the fact that I want a stiffer hinge, or at least something that has a built in battery. that'll be awesome!

After using the surface for about a week, I can say that the screen size does bother me. Using it like an actual computer, it's really hard to see. I currently have everything set to 125%. I really want like a 13" surface, or maybe even 15".

Sending hand written emails is fun too. Fresh paint has a problem with the eraser: it's so insanely slow! I have experienced the bug when the system goes into hibernation, and when you wake it up, it looses it's wireless connection for no reason at all. I have to just connect to it again. Also, on my VPN account, once I connect to the workplace, I don't know how to change the credentials what so ever...

Mail/Calendar/People app will NOT work with EAS without SSL. So what does that mean? I can't use my unsigned exchange server, granted it works with my Palm Pre, iPhone 4, Windows Phone 7, Android Phone, Nexus 7, etc... So I don't have the tile to alert me of my calendar events :(

Regarding Office 2013:

When in Inking mode, it appears the eraser works on demand (flip pen and erase). But if you've left Inking mode (thus, you cannot draw with the pen), then the eraser won't work.
Reference: signed a cover letter in Word 2013. :)

I think the eraser in Fresh Paint might be by design. It might be flawed code too, not sure. It kind of makes sense, since erasing anything other than pencil (or fancy pseudo-pen) in real life is usually frustrating. Especially on canvas or textured paper.

Oh, wait, this is what I wanted to say about 2013:

If you have access, it's much better if you can buy it through HUP (Home Use Program). It's $10, cheap for us - I think hella expensive for corporations that get in on the Software Assurance act - but that's Microsoft's big money maker: milking the Enterprise world.

Since it's through HUP, and I've confirmed this, you can activate 2013 Pro Plus on TWO systems. I had it on my desktop and older laptop (got it through HUP late January). At the time I was fairly set on not buying Surface Pro, then discovered I did indeed want it, and despised my old laptop (well, I have since the day I bought it, slow and bulky, but it was great for class!).

I was happy to find out I could have two activated installations. But then I tried to install on the Surface Pro, and the Activation prompt said UNPOSSIBLE! And I was sad. I dig around the net for awhile, trying to figure out what to do. There had to be a way! And, lo and behold, a few places said, "use Activation by Phone!" and thus I made that call the next item on my agenda. I get the robo prompt, enter in about a thousand digits that were in the activation window, it asked me how many activated installs I had, I told that robo voice "two", it said, "I'm sorry, I didn't understand", I paused, then said "two!" and it replied, "Let me add this new information"... then came a long pause. Then it finally replied, eons later, "the answer... is 42"... and then spat out a new series of a thousand digits.
I typed that in, slowly, into the Activation prompt - and all was good!

Granted, I haven't checked out my laptop. What I figured would happen is I'd have to speak to a human to get the laptop's activation expunged, and that freed up for the lappytab.
I did completely and thoroughly uninstall Office (using Microsoft FixIt :)) from said laptop before I even tried any of this (after first getting the "you can't activate this, you moron!" result).

short version: if you can get Office 2013 Pro Plus through Microsoft HUP - do it. It's basically the same type of license we've always known for Office. And the individual apps in the suite are able to play a little more nice with the Surface and touchscreen. And supposedly they are working on true Metro versions, but couldn't get them finalized/stable in time (this may have been one ugly and false rumor, however).

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
I'm on the fence about the Pro. I've got the Surface RT, and it works well enough but a lot of the time I'm just using it to remote into my home desktop. The Pro would fix that but my battery life would plummet. I'm tempted towards sticking with this setup and waiting for either Surface 2 or a similar device with better battery life.

I'm also considering upgrading to the type cover since I think the touch cover is OK at best.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
photoshop and pro has some major issues lol.. also experienced another bug: after restarting when photoshop went haywire, My wifi cannot detect ANY wireless networks. what a PIA... had to disable and enable through the network and sharing center... Wow it's like work to find all these items that belong to the control panel. If you dont' know what to look for, then you would never know it existed!

Last edited:

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
Regarding Office 2013:

When in Inking mode, it appears the eraser works on demand (flip pen and erase). But if you've left Inking mode (thus, you cannot draw with the pen), then the eraser won't work.
Reference: signed a cover letter in Word 2013. :)

I think the eraser in Fresh Paint might be by design. It might be flawed code too, not sure. It kind of makes sense, since erasing anything other than pencil (or fancy pseudo-pen) in real life is usually frustrating. Especially on canvas or textured paper.

Oh, wait, this is what I wanted to say about 2013:

If you have access, it's much better if you can buy it through HUP (Home Use Program). It's $10, cheap for us - I think hella expensive for corporations that get in on the Software Assurance act - but that's Microsoft's big money maker: milking the Enterprise world.

Since it's through HUP, and I've confirmed this, you can activate 2013 Pro Plus on TWO systems. I had it on my desktop and older laptop (got it through HUP late January). At the time I was fairly set on not buying Surface Pro, then discovered I did indeed want it, and despised my old laptop (well, I have since the day I bought it, slow and bulky, but it was great for class!).

I was happy to find out I could have two activated installations. But then I tried to install on the Surface Pro, and the Activation prompt said UNPOSSIBLE! And I was sad. I dig around the net for awhile, trying to figure out what to do. There had to be a way! And, lo and behold, a few places said, "use Activation by Phone!" and thus I made that call the next item on my agenda. I get the robo prompt, enter in about a thousand digits that were in the activation window, it asked me how many activated installs I had, I told that robo voice "two", it said, "I'm sorry, I didn't understand", I paused, then said "two!" and it replied, "Let me add this new information"... then came a long pause. Then it finally replied, eons later, "the answer... is 42"... and then spat out a new series of a thousand digits.
I typed that in, slowly, into the Activation prompt - and all was good!

Granted, I haven't checked out my laptop. What I figured would happen is I'd have to speak to a human to get the laptop's activation expunged, and that freed up for the lappytab.
I did completely and thoroughly uninstall Office (using Microsoft FixIt :)) from said laptop before I even tried any of this (after first getting the "you can't activate this, you moron!" result).

short version: if you can get Office 2013 Pro Plus through Microsoft HUP - do it. It's basically the same type of license we've always known for Office. And the individual apps in the suite are able to play a little more nice with the Surface and touchscreen. And supposedly they are working on true Metro versions, but couldn't get them finalized/stable in time (this may have been one ugly and false rumor, however).

oh and on fresh paint: When selecting the "eraser tool" it works perfectly! Why can't the back of the pen work like that?