WoW Open Beta

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: magomago
argh i d/led from fileplanet and it came out corrupt >< stupid zip that won't unzip!

Your download may not be corrupt. Check some of the earlier posts, but I think Winzip 9.0 is required to uncompress the file. Apparently, older version of Winzip won't work.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Lvl 5 Human Paladin.

I haven't trained yet. Is this one of those games where you want to save points to put into more advanced skills as they open up, or can I spend them on what's available now?
Buy skills as soon as you can get them., they will help a ton in the game. By "skills", I mean things from your trainer, new spells and whatnot.

There's no disadvantage to buying them early.

The exception is Talen points, you get one point per level starting at level 10. Those work like Diablo's skill system, wherein you need to have X number of points in one talent before you can learn a higher level one. This doesn't apply to all talents, but it's pretty obvious when you see your talent tree.

As far as training new weapons, no disadvantage there either, except it costs 10 silver per type.

SoldatRU

May 11, 2002
How about the professions, like I just made it to the 2nd town as a warrior, and there is an option to be a blacksmith! I was about to sign up because its the first thing of the kind that I've encountered in WoW, but I saw how you can only have 2 jobs. So I'm now wary, wondering if there are better things out there.

Also, how do I acquire the 2 hand sword skill? The trainer at the starting town couldn't teach me so I can't use bastard swords.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Zysoclaplem
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Lvl 5 Human Paladin.

I haven't trained yet. Is this one of those games where you want to save points to put into more advanced skills as they open up, or can I spend them on what's available now?

So how is the game so far?

In all honesty, so far, it's basically like every other MMO....most specifically DAoC. So far I've killed maybe a hundred kobold-whatevers for quests.

Character creation took about 0.75 minutes because there are basically no discernable differences except hair style and length.

The game is lag free, is super easy to get into, and has well done and consistent art work. Soloing, I can tell, will be quicker leveling than it was in DAoC.

We'll see what I see as I get a few more levels.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: trmnlprep
i know about the instances and i'm damn happy for those...

but from an old time D&amp;Der... going into a dungeon means caves... means killing things for quests...

naw those aint dungeons those are just caves =p they rarely go very deep

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Just in case some of you hadn't realized this, as BlueWeasel said you do need winzip 9.0 to unzip the download file. WinRAR (and probably older versions of winzip) will not work.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Originally posted by: SoldatRU
How about the professions, like I just made it to the 2nd town as a warrior, and there is an option to be a blacksmith! I was about to sign up because its the first thing of the kind that I've encountered in WoW, but I saw how you can only have 2 jobs. So I'm now wary, wondering if there are better things out there.

Also, how do I acquire the 2 hand sword skill? The trainer at the starting town couldn't teach me so I can't use bastard swords.
Primary professions include the following:

Blacksmithing
Alchemy
Enchanting
Engineering
Leatherworking
Tailoring

Herbalism
Mining
Skinning

The last three are "gathering" professions and require you find things in the game world (you may have seen copper veins or herbs around the world, skinning comes from slain beasts. Everything else is a "production" profession, where you make stuff.

As a warrior, you probably want to go with Mining and Blacksmithing. You can use these to make your own armor and stuff.

You could also go with Herbalism and Alchemy, Alchemy requires herbs (that you get with herbalism), so they go nicely together.

Skinning and leatherworking also pair nicely, but you'll be making mostly leather armor, and you can equip higher than that as a warrior, so I'd stick with mining/blacksmithing.

Engineering is also pretty cool I hear, but I've never done it personally.

Enchanting is expensive for people who are just starting out and it's one of the most expensive tradeskills to level (you have to extract magic essences from green items, and the item is destroyed). Tailoring is good for making cloth armor and bags, which is why mages tend to go with it.

As far as a two handed sword trainer, head to Stormwind city and ask a guard (right click on them). There's a trainer named Master Woo that will teach you two-handed swords. When you ask a guard where to find a trainer, they'll flag it for you on your minimap.

Almost forgot, Cooking, First Aid, and Fishing have no limit, you can learn all three of them if you want. You can also unlearn professions, but if you relearn it later, you revert back to level 1.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Downloaded the client from BT, and I have the full 2.5 gigs.
But I double click the installer and nothing happens.
I'm probably an idiot, but am I doing it incorrectly?

SoldatRU

May 11, 2002
Thanks MrBond, great explanations too, can't wait to start playing again and checking out the stuff when I get home from work.

ath50

May 2, 2004
Started the BT last night at 11:00 and now 19 hours later I've got about 58%, which isn't too bad, though I guess I won't be playing tonight :(

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
It took a while for me. Probably around 15 minutes, but I was copying from different partitions on the same drive. If you had the setup files on a separate physical drive, then I would expect the install to go a little faster.

13rian

Feb 26, 2004
Interesting, I successfully installed the game WITHOUT Winzip 9.0. I didn't use WinRAR though either. I guess it opened with some Windows default extractor. It basically opened up like a folder and I just copied the installation files into a folder. Kudos to me!:beer:

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
hey thanks~ winzip 9 did the trick!

and if anyone wants me to aim it, i can provide a constant 50-75k a second (first come basis tho)

too bad the install takes a lifetime ;)

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Zysoclaplem
Downloaded the client from BT, and I have the full 2.5 gigs.
But I double click the installer and nothing happens.
I'm probably an idiot, but am I doing it incorrectly?

Yeah, that's all I had to do. I DL'ed the same intaller from BT and just ran installer.exe.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
nooo there is a patch and it uses the torrent system also ><

can anyone send me the patch via AIM? my aim is ammar85

Please if anyone can do that (because my network blocks bitorrent...i paid fileplanet so i could download the thing) and send me the ~20 megabyte download i would LOVE that because there is no way for me to get it. I might not be there if you try to send it, but i'll turn on auto accept...if you can do that i'd appreciate it. thanks

gsaldivar

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2001
Originally posted by: magomago
nooo there is a patch and it uses the torrent system also ><

can anyone send me the patch via AIM? my aim is ammar85

Please if anyone can do that (because my network blocks bitorrent...i paid fileplanet so i could download the thing) and send me the ~20 megabyte download i would LOVE that because there is no way for me to get it. I might not be there if you try to send it, but i'll turn on auto accept...if you can do that i'd appreciate it. thanks

Originally posted by: gsaldivar
I'll host it for a short time:

http://s91037920.onlinehome.us...o-1.1.0-enUS-patch.exe

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
bah i cant use the bittorrent d/ler cuz it uploads faster than im d/ling and i have a 3GB limit up or down so im gunna get screwed.!!!

MIKE

Storm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 1999
Heh so Im a tad late to the party...

I keep getting "Download has expired"

Is it because there are too many ppl still downloading?