wow, DJIA down 300 points and its only 1pm *update* all losses erased! wow

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
i was complaining that i've lost $40 over the past week in my newly created 401k, then the guy i'm working with says he's lost $100k in 2 weeks, i don't feel so bad.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: JohnCU
i was complaining that i've lost $40 over the past week in my newly created 401k, then the guy i'm working with says he's lost $100k in 2 weeks, i don't feel so bad.

Well, it's probably a failrly low percentage of his net wealth if he's investing it like that, so he's likely not hurting. I could be wrong though. I just checked, I'm not doing well myself. I was up 17% this year, now I'm up 4.2%.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
I'm down around 6-7k. damn housing market, gotta blame it on something.

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Chaotic42

Well, it's probably a failrly low percentage of his net wealth if he's investing it like that, so he's likely not hurting. I could be wrong though. I just checked, I'm not doing well myself. I was up 17% this year, now I'm up 4.2%.

yeah, i started my 401k in may and i'm at -5.4% so far haha.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004

I don't feel all that bad for some one that had 100k to lose, really.

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
i lost all my gains this year...well cept for my fixed income in my retirements. But then I'm young so its better to start this at the beginning and hope you retire near the top of the cycles.

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
i lost so much money its not even funny. the past week has been brutal. i think its oversold and once its settled down, there should be lots of bargains to pick up

thank god i put half in savings and half in stocks. i thought i was stupid when it was going up like crazy the previous months

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
My question is, when the heck will the fed step in and reduce the interest rate? I know several members of the fed have indicated that there is no real reason to do it now, but I personally think they're going to have to do something in a hurry before this snowballs into something they can't control.......

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Originally posted by: tagej
My question is, when the heck will the fed step in and reduce the interest rate? I know several members of the fed have indicated that there is no real reason to do it now, but I personally think they're going to have to do something in a hurry before this snowballs into something they can't control.......

In theory, the Fed's main job is NOT to save stock markets or jump start economies, it's to ensure a strong US dollar and ward off inflation. The dollar has largely been tanking while inflation is semi-"controlled" if you believe the government numbers. Does the general economy care if the market dives 10%? Not really, the fundamentals are still decent.

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
i think credit companies who lend money to people who can never afford to pay the mortgage payments with a non-fixed rate deserves to go bankrupt

i thought this whole subprime thing is a joke, but i didnt think it would affect it the market this bad.

Ctrackstar126

Jul 14, 2005
Yea its not the end of America or the world. Simply put its going to be a good opportunity to buy. What to buy is up to the investor.

Ctrackstar126

Jul 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
Just bought:

$70k in BRK.B :)

If I had more $ settled, I'd have bought more :D

Just bought as in just now or just recently as in the past days.

Oh and :beer: for your gains ;)

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Ctrackstar126
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
Just bought:

$70k in BRK.B :)

If I had more $ settled, I'd have bought more :D

Just bought as in just now or just recently as in the past days.

Oh and :beer: for your gains ;)

About 1/2 hour ago

And at this point I'm really glad I bought those corporate bonds in July... :D