Wow. Crysis full version runs much smoother than the demo

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Got my copy of Crysis from EB in the mail yesterday. In DX9 I get roughly 30fps on avg with all settings to high, no AA, at 1920x1080. It drops down to around 20 when things get heavy, so I dropped shadows to medium, and I get about 35 now. I am going to install vista 64 and vista 32bit when I buy another HDD this week, so I can compare across all 3. I had 64bit Vista installed for the demo, but the drivers for the 8800gt in 64 bit vista are a nightmare.

Anyway here is my system for comparison.

E6600@3GHz
4Gb DDR2 800
EVGA 8800gt SC

There are hitches at certain points, one of the most prominent hitch I get is when i switch to aim down the assault scope. On a side note, what is the command for the in game FPS counter? I've been using fraps so far, but I'd rather use the in game one.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
Guys, I probably bought a GTS at the wrong time, but I had missed out on the infamous Best Buy $316 8800 deal, and I am fairly certain I was within a day or two of getting confirmation of purchase on the card when my credit card company canceled the order after no charge within the 30 day window. So I went way overboard and bought the eVGA 8800GTS ACS card, which I paid around a $100 premium for over a standard GTS card. I never intended to go SLI, especially with an 8800 card, but yet another hot deal, the Soyo 24" LCD, has changed my thinking. Not sure how well it scales, as all I have played lately is TF2 (which I didn't have set to native res until just last week ... forgot to set aspect ration at 16:10 .. I had it at 16:9) so the second GTS decision is simply a simplest solution to running Crysis at native res on that panel.
I honestly like having a non-reference video card, and the ACS card fit the bill. If I do buy a second one, its only after trying and loving Crysis, and finding that either my panel doesn't scale well enough or I want to run it at higher than expected resolution. I have no interest in ditching my existing GTS just for this game, so there are a lot of things that would need to fall into place to have me go SLI, but the idea does intrigue me, whether it be my 8800 main rig card or my 7900GS spare gamer card (Woot.com deal .. I really do want to run an SLI 7900GS setup.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Been playing Crysis today got it for $39.99 + a 10 gift card from Circuit city. The retail game is a bit smoother for me it is def using multi CPU now.

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Originally posted by: VashHT
There are hitches at certain points, one of the most prominent hitch I get is when i switch to aim down the assault scope. On a side note, what is the command for the in game FPS counter? I've been using fraps so far, but I'd rather use the in game one.

I think it is something like r_DisplayInfo 1

pm

Elite Member Mobile Devices
Jan 25, 2000
I bought it at CC for $30 + $10GC - seemed like a great price. I'm getting 21-26 fps (using "r_displayinfo 1") with everything to high at 1920x1200 (default for my 24" LCD). It looks great but my framerate is a bit lower than I'd like with everything max'd... and, no, I'm not planning on overclocking my CPU. :)

E6700 (stock @ 2.67GHz)
BFG 8800GT OC
2GB ECC DDR2 533MHz
Windows XP 32-bit DX9, stock game configs

At 1920x1200, playing in the intro section in the forest at night.
All settings to high: 21-26fps
All settings to high, shader to medium: 28-34fps
All settings to high, shader to medium, shadows to medium: 33-38fps

The framerate seems to be a fair bit higher than the demo, but I didn't spend much time messing with it when I played the demo and I didn't know the displayinfo command. Just seemed slower.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
You guys are right as usual, and after a day of thinking about it, the smartest way to go about this is to wait until the 8800GT cards drop to around $235 (512mb card that is, I'd never buy anything less - $235x2 is just a bit over what the single 8800GTS ACS card would cost) and buy 2 of them, then move the 8800GTS into my spare gamer with the 7900GS. I just downloaded the Crysis demo last night, but I've been playing TF2 with every free moment, so Crysis will have to wait until this weekend.

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
After a week of playing, in moderate times, I'm at the part where you finally get into Tanks and make an assault on an open field. I believe the stage is "Onslaught"

The game is just amazing. I've had my computer freeze twice. One was recoverable, one wasn't. At the start of my gaming, I was getting strange checker-like designs all over my screen and it corrected itself.

All in all, this game is just great. I haven't fought any "aliens" yet. Its been crazy, especially when you have a chopper riding your ass, cloak can only get you so far ^_^

danny~!

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: DannyLove
After a week of playing, in moderate times, I'm at the part where you finally get into Tanks and make an assault on an open field. I believe the stage is "Onslaught"

The game is just amazing. I've had my computer freeze twice. One was recoverable, one wasn't. At the start of my gaming, I was getting strange checker-like designs all over my screen and it corrected itself.

All in all, this game is just great. I haven't fought any "aliens" yet. Its been crazy, especially when you have a chopper riding your ass, cloak can only get you so far ^_^

danny~!

Spoiler man...

spunkz

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2003
Originally posted by: WT
I picked a helluva time to upgrade to a 24" LCD !! I could see Crysis running OK at 1280x1024 on my old 19" panel, but now that I'm at 1920x1200 I am thinking of adding a second 8800GTS to my rig just for this game, which is a ridiculous $400 investment (eVGA ACS edition) ... for a game ... so, I seriously doubt the financial investment will be even remotely worth it.

just use 1280x768 or a similar res. it still looks great with a little AA. don't buy another card for one game :-(

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: WT
You guys are right as usual, and after a day of thinking about it, the smartest way to go about this is to wait until the 8800GT cards drop to around $235 (512mb card that is, I'd never buy anything less - $235x2 is just a bit over what the single 8800GTS ACS card would cost) and buy 2 of them, then move the 8800GTS into my spare gamer with the 7900GS. I just downloaded the Crysis demo last night, but I've been playing TF2 with every free moment, so Crysis will have to wait until this weekend.

The problem is actually FINDING a 8800GT. Nobody has them, and when they do come in, prices will be gouged sky-high for weeks to come. I should've bought a few myself...and made some money. ;)

RZaakir

Sep 19, 2003
I hear the new AMD mid-range card is close enough to the GT and will ship in volume at a lower price point.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
YOU GUYS YOU GUYS!

Can you use the "very high" trick in XP in the full version of Crysis, or did they "fix" it?

badnewcastle

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004
New article out on @ Tom's... As of today.

Here.

Doesn't look like from their test that the full version runs smoother or better...

badnewcastle

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004
Originally posted by: manowar821
YOU GUYS YOU GUYS!

Can you use the "very high" trick in XP in the full version of Crysis, or did they "fix" it?

Yes, it still works. Why would they want to fix it?

Hadsus

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2003
Originally posted by: badnewcastle
New article out on @ Tom's... As of today.

Here.

Doesn't look like from their test that the full version runs smoother or better...

Thanks for that link! I was playing the demo just yesterday trying to decide whether or not to get it. I've already got CoD4 but you can't have too many good shooters on the HD. Anyway I ran FRAPS and along the beach I'm generally in the high 20's on my WS LCD with everything set to medium. Definitely playable but I'm an FPS freak so I'm going to pass. BTW, CoD4 runs about 10fps faster, again using FRAPS.

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Imp
Originally posted by: DannyLove

danny~!

Spoiler man...

:confused: trust me, its not a spoiler at all....

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: coloumb
Originally posted by: jaredpace
wow, try putting the texture quality, sound & shadows on low.

And, put everything else on 'very high'

Super good framerates, all the special effects still work, the textures dont even look that bad(at my res of 1024x768)!!!!

Note: by putting texture shadows and sound to low i go from 17 fps to 37 fps. And the image quality is not that noticable.

Thanks! Another feature that helped me was to turn shadow quality to low [DX10] - that alone helped speed up any areas with ice/snow...

Or run the game in DX9 mode...

I tried that just for the hell of it. Looked like shit AND ran at 10fps :p I guess it depends on system setup and resolution. I'm looking at one of the better tweaking guides out there and it's helping a lot, although there's only so much I can do with my system :\