Wow. Crysis full version runs much smoother than the demo

raystorm

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
aarrrggg matey..ye be a scurvy dog for taking the illegal booty over the seven seas...but its nice to know the full version runs better. :p

I still think my X1800XT will cry if I attempt to play the game as the demo ran like crapola. I'm still waiting for my 8800GT order to be fulfilled (backordered to hell) and I'll buy Crysis when I get the card. To hell with less than high settings.

Are you playing it in DX10 mode?? What settings and res?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: raystorm
aarrrggg matey..ye be a scurvy dog for taking the illegal booty over the seven seas...but its nice to know the full version runs better. :p

I still think X1800XT will cry if I attempt to play the game as the demo ran like crapola. I'm still waiting for my 8800GT order to be fulfilled (backordered to hell) and I'll buy Crysis when I get the card. To hell with less than high settings.

Are you playing it in DX10 mode?? What settings and res?

so how much is your x1800 going for? :laugh:

Cabages

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
Ha, still rockin the x1800 eh? Same here, also been lookin for a GT.

So what settings and res are you using rash? And FPS?

RZaakir

Sep 19, 2003
I read somewhere that there was like a 20% FPS increase between single and dual core in Crysis.

raystorm

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
by the way..for those in the US, Circuit City will sell Crysis (standard version) for 39.99 and you'll get a $10 gift card too! That info is from this week's circular. I'll get the game there so check your local CC when Crysis is released.

Zahriya

Oct 20, 2004
Originally posted by: RZaakir
I read somewhere that there was like a 20% FPS increase between single and dual core in Crysis.

Is this a good thing? So if you're getting 20-25 FPS, the full version will get 4-5 FPS better? I really hope the game is smoother in DX10 more than anything. I was highly disappointed when I was getting 10FPS in DX10 mode with my rig. How'd you get the full version anyways?

RZaakir

Sep 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Zahriya
Originally posted by: RZaakir

Is this a good thing? So if you're getting 20-25 FPS, the full version will get 4-5 FPS better? I really hope the game is smoother in DX10 more than anything. I was highly disappointed when I was getting 10FPS in DX10 mode with my rig. How'd you get the full version anyways?

Obviously 21-100% would be better, but given how CPUs have meant little to games over the last few years at high resolutions - as opposed to GPUs - I think this is unquestionably a good thing.

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Crytek basically said they handicapped the demo code... I think I read it on their modding forum crymod.com.

From what I gathered it wasn't just the CPU core usage either.

Zahriya

Oct 20, 2004
Originally posted by: miniMUNCH
Crytek basically said they handicapped the demo code... I think I read it on their modding forum crymod.com.

For what purpose? I dont understand the logic behind this. For me personally, I was so turned away from the way my system handled Crysis, I decided not to purchase the game. The funny thing is, I upgraded my system a few months ago for Crysis. Ill wait a couple months before purchasing, that's if I decide to purchase it.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Hey, at least it wasn't as craptastic as the Hellgate London demo. That DEFINITELY turns off players.

magnumty

Dec 25, 2004
that does not make sense, why would they not enable multi core support?? folks with dual core and quad core have a bad taste in there mouth because the game runs crappy and decide not to buy the full version..

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: magnumty
that does not make sense, why would they not enable multi core support?? folks with dual core and quad core have a bad taste in there mouth because the game runs crappy and decide not to buy the full version..

eh its not really that big a deal... Anyone who has a core 2 d or q and games is still probably going to get it. It ran fine enough for me with out the xtra cores now that it will perform even better then great!.

Cutthroat

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2002
I managed to get the x64 version working, I can confirm it's much better than the demo. At 1680x1050 it is actually almost playable at all very high settings, no AA at ~15fps average. I set Volumetric effects, sound quality, post-processing to high, and shadows to medium, no AA and I get ~25fps average, very smooth and playable, looks fantastic. I will buy the now that I know it runs OK, I was a little put off after the poor performance of the demo, I wasn't going to buy right away, but now I will.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Cutthroat
I managed to get the x64 version working, I can confirm it's much better than the demo. At 1680x1050 it is actually almost playable at all very high settings, no AA at ~15fps average. I set Volumetric effects, sound quality, post-processing to high, and shadows to medium, no AA and I get ~25fps average, very smooth and playable, looks fantastic. I will buy the now that I know it runs OK, I was a little put off after the poor performance of the demo, I wasn't going to buy right away, but now I will.

DX 9 or 10?

Cutthroat

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2002
Originally posted by: bamacre

DX 9 or 10?

DX10, on Vista x64 it automatically runs the x64 exe in DX10 if available. Confirmed when I minimized the game, the button in the taskbar said "Crysis x64 DX10".

I tried enabling AA with horrible results, although it looked really good I would max out at 5fps no matter the AA level, it just doesn't seem to work properly.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
DX10, on Vista x64 it automatically runs the x64 exe in DX10 if available. Confirmed when I minimized the game, the button in the taskbar said "Crysis x64 DX10".

I tried enabling AA with horrible results, although it looked really good I would max out at 5fps no matter the AA level, it just doesn't seem to work properly.

Interestingly enough, in the demo, the installer chose the 32-bit Program Files directory so the game wouldn't load in 64-bit :(. I wondered why my game kept sitting there at a black screen for awhile :p. I played it in 32-bit with all settings maxed but AA was set to 4x I think. I don't know what my FPS was (no fraps running), but the game was playable. It felt a little slow though.

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Zahriya
Originally posted by: miniMUNCH

For what purpose? I dont understand the logic behind this. For me personally, I was so turned away from the way my system handled Crysis, I decided not to purchase the game. The funny thing is, I upgraded my system a few months ago for Crysis. Ill wait a couple months before purchasing, that's if I decide to purchase it.

Well... for one, the demo will run any level called 'island' so there is not a whole to stop people from running all kinds of content (including the other game levels when they are released) on the demo version. I have run several custom maps on the demo version... very fun.

Also... all the bugs wrt to multicore use may not have been quite squashed when they prepped the demo for release.

Folks will see benchie's of Crysis on rigs that are close to theirs and they'll see that their rig will run the full version pretty well and then they'll buy it.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Well Eb just rang me and said that it's coming in early tomorrow afternoon, (afternoon of the 13th here in Australia) special edition for me too, cant wait :)

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: bamacre
It should, as the demo was not making use of multiple cpu cores.

I will wait for retail benchmarks or an updated demo then before buying. I may just wait and see what kind of performance the new nVidia and AMD cards bring to the table too.