Wow. Bitcoin is almost $1,500

Page 73 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I don't think that you can "mine" an Ethereum smart contract coin. The creator of it (me, I guess) can issue additional coins, though. I set up a Metamask wallet for this, but I'd imagine that most Ethereum wallets would work.

I think there are some Eth wallets out there that you can't do much with (you won't lose any Eth-based coins if sent to a non-compatible Eth wallet, but they may not show up either). I do know the official Eth wallet works too.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Interesting about the ATOT "coin". Someday, I'll get my head wrapped around all of this.

I've been toying with the idea of converting what are really multiple multi-GPU "gaming rigs", into one honking bigger multi-GPU open-air mining rig, and running something like EthOS (which I know nothing about), and just pool-mining ETH, instead of using NiceHash on Windows 10.

Good idea / bad idea? Is ETH mining directly (using a pool), more profitable than using NiceHash? (Which has seen its profitability tank by like 4x since Jan.)

Edit: Another thought, was to give up on mining altogether, and sell off my cards, or at least my GTX 1070 ti Titanium, for more than I paid for it. (They're selling for around $780 right now, new.)

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
Interesting about the ATOT "coin". Someday, I'll get my head wrapped around all of this.

I've been toying with the idea of converting what are really multiple multi-GPU "gaming rigs", into one honking bigger multi-GPU open-air mining rig, and running something like EthOS (which I know nothing about), and just pool-mining ETH, instead of using NiceHash on Windows 10.

Good idea / bad idea? Is ETH mining directly (using a pool), more profitable than using NiceHash? (Which has seen its profitability tank by like 4x since Jan.)

Edit: Another thought, was to give up on mining altogether, and sell off my cards, or at least my GTX 1070 ti Titanium, for more than I paid for it. (They're selling for around $780 right now, new.)
I'm mining on miningpoolhub (you set it up so they mine the most profitable coin, and you can set it to autoconvert to the coin of your liking)

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Lol ya it's so bad. I got into mining knowing it was a risk, but deep down I was still hoping I could at very least hit ROI. Not even close at this point. Got about $115.4 worth right now.

Going to keep on going though, who knows it might make a come back. Failing that, I will just convert the rig into a gaming machine. I would need to look at benchmarks but pretty sure the mining machine is better than my existing gaming machine, so just need to throw in more ram, keep one of the 1070 TI GPUs and it will make a pretty decent gaming machine.

I built a pretty serious case though with intention of filling it with GPUs, guess I'll just find another purpose for that case. Maybe some kind of mass storage pod of sorts, where downtime is not important. (not really going to be hot swap) Or when I get better at electronics, I could convert it into a big ass power supply.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
As long as it's at least covering the cost of hydro it's basically free heat. Now if I could get more rigs going I could power a Stirling engine and then generate electricity. :D

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Despite the carnage, keep an eye on Stellar Lumens (XLM). Stellar is the linch pin for many if not all of IBM's blockchain projects. Besides that, they are currently using XLM as their primary bridge asset. They could bork that overnight by issuing their own token, but IBM has learned the hard way about fighting open source.

You need some kind of bridge asset for the clearinghouse function - a common currency which creates the links between all of the other currencies. That means it has to have actual value. If IBM does the smart thing and uses XLM across all it's apps, THAT is going to be the standard. Maybe not next year, but in 5 or 10 years.

https://themerkle.com/ibm-vp-confirms-stellar-technology-will-be-used-to-compete-with-ripple/

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yeah, I stopped mining Ethereum now that the weather is warmer. My desktop gaming PC was basically acting like a nice little space heater all winter long, but now that spring is here I just don't want to deal with that anymore. The 50 cents a day I was making after factoring in electricity costs just really wasn't worth my time.

The currency that I did generate came in handy to jump start my little cryptocurrency side project, though. It's too bad that one of the moderators here took offense to what I named it, and asked me to stop promoting it here until they get approval from Purch.

Whoever told me to call my newly minted crypto Nefcoin instead probably had the right idea, although that name is also taken. :)

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Yeah, I stopped mining Ethereum now that the weather is warmer. My desktop gaming PC was basically acting like a nice little space heater all winter long, but now that spring is here I just don't want to deal with that anymore. The 50 cents a day I was making after factoring in electricity costs just really wasn't worth my time.

Years ago my R9 280x and then R9 290 were great space heaters. These days my Ryzen and 1070 were useless .. too damn efficient! :(

All in all I've made like $500 total mining over the past ~5 years. I must really suck at it. Never bought anything specifically for mining though, just used my one main PC which always has a decent video card.

I'm glad it seems to be dying out for now ... frickin waste of electricity and maybe normal people will be able to buy a GPU now. I think I paid $360 for this 1070 a year ago.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003

The currency that I did generate came in handy to jump start my little cryptocurrency side project, though. It's too bad that one of the moderators here took offense to what I named it, and asked me to stop promoting it here until they get approval from Purch.

Whoever told me to call my newly minted crypto Nefcoin instead probably had the right idea, although that name is also taken. :)

What about fapcoin?

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Lol ya it's so bad. I got into mining knowing it was a risk, but deep down I was still hoping I could at very least hit ROI. Not even close at this point. Got about $115.4 worth right now.

Going to keep on going though, who knows it might make a come back. Failing that, I will just convert the rig into a gaming machine. I would need to look at benchmarks but pretty sure the mining machine is better than my existing gaming machine, so just need to throw in more ram, keep one of the 1070 TI GPUs and it will make a pretty decent gaming machine.

I built a pretty serious case though with intention of filling it with GPUs, guess I'll just find another purpose for that case. Maybe some kind of mass storage pod of sorts, where downtime is not important. (not really going to be hot swap) Or when I get better at electronics, I could convert it into a big ass power supply.

This is where I'm supposed to sarcastically say "I didn't see that coming." I won't do that though. I'm a better member than that.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
What about fapcoin?

Already taken, not suprisingly.

Actually, I was thinking that the "ATOT" in ATOTCoin needs to mean something that has nothing to do with Anandtech. How about the "Arrogant Trolls Of Technology"? It seems somehow fitting :)

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
ETH has always been an object lesson on not reading the fine print. between POS and the DAG approaching 2.5gb there were tons of people who were going to get left out in the cold when one of the big changes hit. the rumored asic miner for ETH looks like dead money by the time it might be available for sale.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Well, look at that. Higher end video cards are suddenly back in stock at Newegg again :)

I'd imagine that a price drop will come in next, followed by a ton of stock showing up on eBay.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Well, look at that. Higher end video cards are suddenly back in stock at Newegg again :)

I'd imagine that a price drop will come in next, followed by a ton of stock showing up on eBay.

It would be awesome to see $100 1080Ti's due to a glut :D

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

Hm, I didn't realize that the main sellers were also marking up the cards like crazy -- in other words, it's not just third-party scalpers. I looked at EVGA and cards are marked up about $200-250 over their MSRP. It's kind of hard to say that you're "for the gamers" when you're charging them (in addition to miners) 30% more for your product for no reason other than greed.