Wow. Bitcoin is almost $1,500

Page 58 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Elon Musk was actually saying he would give give everyone like 2 eth if you send him 0.2 during the launch. (I don't recall the exact amounts) Unfortunately I have not mined that much yet.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Buy stocks in HydroOne, my first Ethereum rig just went online last night. :p

Totally late to the party though. Only have 2 cards mining. They're too hard to get and too expensive right now. I figure at least a year ROI. If all fails, at least I have a rig I can re purpose for something else.

Bah, rooky!

71249YrwK0L._SL1000_.jpg

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Bah, rooky!

71249YrwK0L._SL1000_.jpg

Wish I could even buy that many GPUs lol. Well Newegg is selling 6 packs (so much for them being told not to sell to miners lol) but they are like 1k+ per card.

My original goal was actually to go industrial scale and buy land, but it's just not viable. I'd have to learn how to roll my own silicon at the very least then get some PCBs made. I've considered FPGAs but don't think those are really that viable or it would already have been done.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

Hmm I knew it sounded fishy, but given it was coming from his account (it was actually right on his feed) I could not really figure out how a scam like that would work unless his account was hacked which was not the case as he was also posting updates on the launch. But yeah I don't do twitter enough so must be some kind of weird trick that is easy to miss if you're not familiar with Twitter. I also had figured that people would be calling it out as a scam, or Elon himself would delete the tweet. But it just stayed there.

Looks like lot of people fell for it too: https://www.etherchain.org/account/44bd8348a45ac183c358a9b59dea0f8ba1721129

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Never send your coins anywhere promising airdrop or bonuses.

Common sense 101

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Hmm I knew it sounded fishy, but given it was coming from his account (it was actually right on his feed) I could not really figure out how a scam like that would work unless his account was hacked which was not the case as he was also posting updates on the launch. But yeah I don't do twitter enough so must be some kind of weird trick that is easy to miss if you're not familiar with Twitter. I also had figured that people would be calling it out as a scam, or Elon himself would delete the tweet. But it just stayed there.

Looks like lot of people fell for it too: https://www.etherchain.org/account/44bd8348a45ac183c358a9b59dea0f8ba1721129

It wasn't his account.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005

Yeah it wasn't his account. These scammers use the same name and picture, but the actual Twitter handle is different. As someone who played Eve online for years, it was super easy to spot these scams.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004

It's *not* from his account. It was from an account that ripped his profile pic and display name but was actually "elonn muusk" or something like that. They reply to the legitimate twitter account as one of the first replies in order to fool people who don't notice it's a different account.

It's a very common scam:
https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q="i'm giving away" "to my followers"&src=typd

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It's *not* from his account. It was from an account that ripped his profile pic and display name but was actually "elonn muusk" or something like that. They reply to the legitimate twitter account as one of the first replies in order to fool people who don't notice it's a different account.

It's a very common scam:
https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q="i'm giving away" "to my followers"&src=typd

Oh is this some weird unicode thing where they use letters that LOOK like letters but arn't the same ones? Because that's the first thing I checked when I saw it, that the name matched, and it did. Kinda wish I had taken a screenshot now. It looked very legit, but I also had some slight doubts. I do admit if I had 0.2 eth I probably would have tried it though.... I would not have bought eth to do it, but if I had some from mining or whatever I probably would have used it. Glad I didn't. Seems it's a rather well crafted scam. I usually don't fall for crap like that.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Oh is this some weird unicode thing where they use letters that LOOK like letters but arn't the same ones? Because that's the first thing I checked when I saw it, that the name matched, and it did. Kinda wish I had taken a screenshot now. It looked very legit, but I also had some slight doubts. I do admit if I had 0.2 eth I probably would have tried it though.... I would not have bought eth to do it, but if I had some from mining or whatever I probably would have used it. Glad I didn't. Seems it's a rather well crafted scam. I usually don't fall for crap like that.

Most of them are just a single normal latin character away - look at those examples, like the fake Vitalik Buterin profile is actually spelled @VitalikBeturin. Easy to miss if just reading real quick, natural quirk of the brain when just reading through something seemingly trivial, as we often know what is *meant* to be said when the first and last letters match the correct spelling, and because of that, the brain just fills it in. Especially easier with foreign names.

Reactions: IEC

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
CryptoNick, Ryan Hildreth and the rest of the Bitconnect losers are in for a world of hurt. Maybe Ryans Porsche will be repossessed.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
Meh, still worth it to run NiceHash on my rigs when it gets cold enough outside.
Electric heat is electric heat :)

That said, the world might be close to ending when Dallas gets below freezing :eek:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
There will be a thread titled "Wow Bitcoin is almost $1,500" again soon, except this time it will be coming from the other direction.

That day can't come soon enough.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
There will be a thread titled "Wow Bitcoin is almost $1,500" again soon, except this time it will be coming from the other direction.

That day can't come soon enough.

Everyone laughed at this shit until people started getting rich, then everybody got in on it at the last minute - at $20,000 each coin - then lost their asses on the way back down.

I think there is a lesson to be learned here....buy low....sell high!!

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
The best thing about this thread is all the jealous people. Here's something free. :p
52012_640x428.jpg

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Meh, still worth it to run NiceHash on my rigs when it gets cold enough outside.
Electric heat is electric heat :)

That said, the world might be close to ending when Dallas gets below freezing :eek:

If you run electric heat may as well just keep it running either way. wattage is wattage, it all converts to heat. Heck if crypto dies out I would just do folding@home or something on those rigs.

I heat with gas but as long as the rigs are making money then I also see it as slightly offsetting the gas bill. It's basically free heat.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
If you run electric heat may as well just keep it running either way. wattage is wattage, it all converts to heat. Heck if crypto dies out I would just do folding@home or something on those rigs.

I heat with gas but as long as the rigs are making money then I also see it as slightly offsetting the gas bill. It's basically free heat.

Very true. I use electric heat, eventually I'll be converting to a heat pump so I'll get more efficient heating, but for now an electric toaster isn't really that much more efficient at heat generation than PC components running hard. It'll take more wattage to drive the PC components to get the same heat so it is in fact less efficient, but you are already getting use out of those PC components anyway, they were already a factor in your power usage. So when you amp them up, you generally get the same usage but far more heat is produced. I definitely saved on electric heating last winter when I was running my gaming desktop 24/7 mining. But as that is on the second floor of my home, the heat it produced stuck around upstairs and required a lot of fans to assist. lol
I had to kill it in the summer, it was uncomfortable and expensive as it drove the AC to run non-stop. Old ass AC though thus why I'm priming for a good heat pump instead, one that's more efficient/effective across the board. I still want to build a dedicated mining rig in the basement, to go along with the rest of my homelab. May need to invest in a portable AC unit to help cool the total rack but eh, no biggie there.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
Exactly! I use NiceHash to run (what I think it is / selects) XMR on a bunch of dual Westmere rigs.
It's either about breaking even or a slight profit with electricity costs, but the way I figure it, it's discounted heating :)