Wow. Bitcoin is almost $1,500

Page 56 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
9d890dab-f1fc-4bda-b347-a47dd61020e3.png

https://www.investing.com/charts/cryptocurrency-charts
So in 1 month, from Jan 6 ($16,675.3) to today Feb 6th (6386.3) Bitcoin hast lost about 61.7% it's value.
Has this ever happened before?
Are you asking about Bitcoin? or about any other stocks or commodities? It's happened to all three many times. Rhodium went to above $10,000 per ounce to below $1,000 in 2008. Yesterday, while everyone was focusing on Bitcoin and the Dow drop, XIV dropped from $115.55 to closing value of $4.22. Credit Suisse is terminating the ETN so XIV holders are left holding the bag and their losses locked in. In a single day XIV holders got virtually wiped out.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Research suicide methods and decided to go with jumping out of a building? Why even bother researching if thats what you end up doing. Ridiculous!

Carbon monoxide or raw caffeine. Leaves the body nice for cremation.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'd like to think I know a thing or two about this crytocurrency market. What you guys should do is buy as many coins (in the flavor of your choosing) as possible in the earliest of the AM.

You guys can trust me on this.

Who are the winners here that took my solid advice?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
... or about any other stocks or commodities? It's happened to all three many times. Rhodium went to above $10,000 per ounce ...

Which is why I have 0 stock shares and no commodities in my brokerage account, just index funds. Another Enron could only take out a tiny sliver of an S&P 500 fund.

Beer4Me

Mar 16, 2011
Who are the winners here that took my solid advice?
Sarcasm much? All cryptos are continuing to drop, so that's a solid NO. I speculate that they'll continue their slide as ppl continue to sell off their assets. I'm waiting for BTC to hit 2k, and if it does, I'm buying more.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Sarcasm much? All cryptos are continuing to drop, so that's a solid NO. I speculate that they'll continue their slide as ppl continue to sell off their assets. I'm waiting for BTC to hit 2k, and if it does, I'm buying more.

I don't use sarcasm.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
There was a little bit of a rebound. What I'd really like to see is some sort of decoupling though. If you look at the front page on coin marketcap, all of the charts are virtually identical. The only exception is Tether which is just an exaggerated version of the others. I'm not going to be convinced any of these are the real deal until I see some of them moving on their own.

Reactions: Zeze

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
LOL saw a whole lot of video cards available today from newegg.

3 1070's and 2 570's as of this writing.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
LOL saw a whole lot of video cards available today from newegg.

3 1070's and 2 570's as of this writing.

I haven't been paying much attention lately, but this is the first time I have seen them list "6 packs" for various manufacturer cards
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...J5430&cm_re=rx_580-_-9SIA6V66RJ5430-_-Product

lol.

doesn't say used or new, so I am guessing "lightly ....uh, used!" OEM shipped in bubble wrap, still at >$500 each for a ~$250 card. I think the re-sellers are now taking in massive used stock of these cards.

And yeah, plenty of these 6 packs and individual cards are now in stock...prices are still ridiculous, though.

EDIT: LOL

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
for the first time in eons, Newegg has 5 different RX570's in stock.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
There was a little bit of a rebound. What I'd really like to see is some sort of decoupling though. If you look at the front page on coin marketcap, all of the charts are virtually identical. The only exception is Tether which is just an exaggerated version of the others. I'm not going to be convinced any of these are the real deal until I see some of them moving on their own.
Ripple is moving on its own indeindepen of bitcoin, in the wrong direction much more severely than bitcoin.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
From my experience with dotcom, raising margin requirements really put a damper on internet stocks momentum. Same thing with COMEX raising the margin requirement to ridiculous level first with Hunt brothers in the 80s and later in 2011 for silver & gold. I expected bigger bounce with bitcoin and crypto than the current $7,500 level. I think the credit card purchase ban is really hurting retail buyers and momentum. Maybe we'll get a bigger bounce later this week once people's fund transfers become available to purchase.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Ripple is moving on its own indeindepen of bitcoin, in the wrong direction much more severely than bitcoin.

-Bitcoin down 60% from ATH
-Ripple down 80% from ATH
-Eth is doing great only down like 45%
-VeChain down 55%

Frankly these are great indicators for which coin will succeed in the future. Eth and Ven are looking great as they always were.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Carbon monoxide or raw caffeine. Leaves the body nice for cremation.

Best would be pure nitrogen. Carbon monoxide is similar but nitrogen is a bit more humane as it's not toxic like CO, it just quickly and painlessly suffocates instead (no oxygen whatsoever is lights out quick at normal respiration, and when it doesn't hurt because you are still getting rid of the CO2 during exhalation, it means it happens before your body realizes this whole breathing thing isn't work like it should)

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Best would be pure nitrogen. Carbon monoxide is similar but nitrogen is a bit more humane as it's not toxic like CO, it just quickly and painlessly suffocates instead (no oxygen whatsoever is lights out quick at normal respiration, and when it doesn't hurt because you are still getting rid of the CO2 during exhalation, it means it happens before your body realizes this whole breathing thing isn't work like it should)

wat

Reactions: destrekor

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Just sayin. lol

edit:
But for real though, that's becoming a preferred method for euthanasia for those very reasons. I kept the description brief so as to not totally derail the thread. I know I can be a bit... wordy.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Ripple is moving on its own independent of bitcoin, in the wrong direction much more severely than bitcoin.
Well, it's now 8 hours later or rather an eon in compressed crypto-time so the charts look similar again.

As much as I don't like Ripple and think it's flawed, if you don't mind the centralized system and basically having a more secure version of SWIFT, then I think it has potential. Even though Ripple Labs is optimizing the system for bank transfers, there's no reason it couldn't be open to the public. And it seems that's the intention with the Moneygram deal.

Stellar, which is a fork of Ripple is a better system but doesn't have nearly the support that Ripple does. However they're optimized for a public facing system. So I think ultimately their currency will generate more demand. I know it's possible for that to happen very quickly but it's hard to judge if the demand, access and infrastructure is there for it to happen.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
hoping my beanie babies will push up now that crypto is dropping. People may want solid speculative currencies like beanie babies in the future.