Would you resuscitate if your pet was critically injured?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
It sounds like the poor thing would be suffering even after surgery. I would, personally, euthanize it...

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
Thank you for all your responses. I do not know the extent of his injuries. But the vet told us he would be able to fix him. I just keep getting flashbacks of holding him as he breathed heavily as he coughed blood and mucous onto my shirt. I normally wouldn't even post this sort of event but I've had a string of bad luck (to put it lightly) and this just put it over the top. It's too surreal, having so much occur within the last week I feel like I'm cursed.

I can't even think straight since I couldn't sleep when I get the chance I'll ask the vet if he could make a full recovery or what the process to recovery entails.

Thanks once again, I appreciate all your advice and support.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
OP: If you can afford it, and if the cat will be alright after (without painful complications), then go for it..
I lost my cat to feline leukemia two or three years ago..it sucked. :(

Originally posted by: bapace
From now on, I'm swerving towards cats I see on the road. Just because you @ssholes won't take responsibility for your pets. FOAD.

*looks for a steel cat statue*

:D

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Mainly because of Money, I'd have him/her put down if the injuries are as serious as you say they are. It would be the most difficult decision I ever had to make in my life, but would probably have to make it. It's too bad that vet places have to rape their customers with the insane fees they all charge. I'm sure that's one of the biggest factors in why lots of people choose to have their pets put to sleep every year. Evil, mean, nasty vets...

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
update: just receieved a call and the vet said he had multiple fractures and it seemed he fell from a 2nd story height instead of being hit by a car.

I guess it's best to just end his misery. :(...........

I'll going to visit him one last time after work.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Anonemous
update: just receieved a call and the vet said he had multiple fractures and it seemed he fell from a 2nd story height instead of being hit by a car.

So sorry for your lost. :(
rose.gif

I think it's best to put him to sleep.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001

Enjoy your last moments with him..take pictures..smile...meow:)..purr...He'll love that:)

Don't listen to these orators of subjective truth. This cat has been, is, and will have been a very good friend of yours. Enjoy your last moments as best you can.

EDIT: as for Jules Max. and you other twits, please step outside:|

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Oh no. :(

What did the doc say his chances of making a recovery were?

Go with that. If he has a reasonable chance, take it. If not, end his pain.

I really feel for you. :(

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003

:(

rose.gif
R.I.P.
rose.gif

InlineFive

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2003
From now on, I'm swerving towards cats I see on the road. Just because you @ssholes won't take responsibility for your pets. FOAD.

Assclown + Attention Whore + Extremely Slow Learner = All expenses paid two week vacation.

AnandTech "Cat Loving" Moderator

How are we supposed to keep tabs on cats? They practically have as much freedom as we do! :|

Good job Mod.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: PorBleemo
How are we supposed to keep tabs on cats? They practically have as much freedom as we do! :|

Good job Mod.

...except they don't have to go to work, or pay taxes :(

Schrodinger

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2004
It is just too much to put a pet through for our (humans) sake. Same reason we wouldn't get my dog chemo and had him put down the day after finding out he had cancer (that spread all over).

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003

Assclown + Attention Whore + Extremely Slow Learner = All expenses paid two week vacation.

AnandTech "Cat Loving" Moderator

Won't be missed, thanks Moderator!

Schrodinger

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2004
Damn just read the update post :(

Sorry to hear that, Anonemous.

Just FYI I wouldn't be there when they put it down. Say goodbye and see your cat, but the vet will take care of it humanely when you leave. Its pretty tough watching :( (and I worked in the ER)

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Schrodinger
Its pretty tough watching :(

besides, if you're not there to observe, the cat exists in a "quasi-alive" state anyway and isn't really "dead".

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001

Just FYI I wouldn't be there when they put it down. Say goodbye and see your cat, but the vet will take care of it humanely when you leave. Its pretty tough watching :( (and I worked in the ER)

I handled it that way with the first 2 cats that we had to make that decision with but have been with the rest when it came to that. It is some of the worst emotional pain I have had to deal with but I am glad I was there with them for the end. However it turns out I feel for you. :(

Schrodinger

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Linflas

I handled it that way with the first 2 cats that we had to make that decision with but have been with the rest when it came to that. It is some of the worst emotional pain I have had to deal with but I am glad I was there with them for the end. However it turns out I feel for you. :(

Thats why I suggest not being around when it happens (to the OP). I've seen tons of people that I don't know die in the ER. Teenagers in car accidents and babies burned to death. For me, watching a dog (or cat), which you've had beside/around you everyday for years--watching them suffer takes the cake.

Anyhow thats too off topic. Anonemous: I hope it is fast and your pet doesn't have to suffer. Just remember that it is the best decision.

anox3

Sep 23, 2004
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

So sorry for your loss.

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
I was there as they put him to sleep. He went gently as his heavy clogged breathing subsided. The doctor said he fell from a 2nd story height which is odd since my house is only one story and he knows how to get on and off the roof. I don't want to think about how he could've been injured. I'm tired and it's been a long week. Thank you all for your concerns I know he's in a better place now.

Stal

Jan 17, 2005

:(

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Insane3D
kiss my @ss. This is like someone being upset that their girlfriend died in a drunk driving accident when they were the drunk driver...nobody to blame but themselves. Besides, cats are the most worthless thing on the planet.

It's hard to believe anything is more worthless than your dumba$$ self. I hope you get hit by a car and no one sees you so you get repeatedly run over....at least then you would be somewhat useful as fertilizer.

You don't keep cats on leashes fvcktard...but someone should probably have kept your mom on one.

<clicky>

Gulzakar

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
useless>?

Ever heard of the Black Plague?

anyways...

:)

I hope your cat makes it...but to be honest, if it can't live in relative comfort, you might want to put it down.