Would you resuscitate if your pet was critically injured?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Not where I live there isn't fvcktard. How many cats do you see on leashes? Like I said, leashes are for dogs and your mom.

xcript

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Insane3D
Not where I live there isn't fvcktard. How many cats do you see on leashes? Like I said, leashes are for dogs and your mom.
:laugh:

bapace

Jul 7, 2004
Wow, intelligent. There are Cat-Leash laws all over the US. Parts of New York, Nebraska, San Francisco. Think about it....leash law means no cats getting hit by cars, which means no one having to put their cat down for serious injuries. Lets face it, serious injuries to a cat are pretty much only going to happen by getting hit by a car, or hopefully a lawnmower. Leash laws solve this problem.

Aug 26, 2004
Originally posted by: bapace
Wow, intelligent. There are Cat-Leash laws all over the US. Parts of New York, Nebraska, San Francisco. Think about it....leash law means no cats getting hit by cars, which means no one having to put their cat down for serious injuries. Lets face it, serious injuries to a cat are pretty much only going to happen by getting hit by a car, or hopefully a lawnmower. Leash laws solve this problem.

1. You are an idiot.
2. D!AF
3. ?
4. profit...(in the way of, noone has to listen to you anymore)

:disgust:

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: Anonemous

Just came back from the ER of a vet hospital. Still in shock as I type this. Having the worst week in my life. My cat was stabilized but the extent of his internal injuries are unknown. If he survives the next 24 hours, he will need extensive surgery to reconstruct his lower jaw and eye (if it's still functional). Filling out all the medical forms, one question stuck out that was too tough for me to answer.

Resuscitate?

My cat obviously is in a lot of pain right now with a broken jaw and massive blood loss (actually coughed blood as I held him in my arms) and various uknown injuries. So if you ever had to decide for a loved pet what would you choose?

I'd ask the doctor what quality of life the cat would be likely to have. Don't think I would resuscitate if cat was going to have great pain. :(

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i didn't even know they could/would do that
i thought if an animal was hurt bad they just put them to sleep

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
That's horrible but I'd say to be fair to the poor animal I would not resuscitate. I had a cat a few years ago who's liver failed (not to mention a cat I just lost last week) but the vet wanted to operate on him and put in a feeding tube, feed him through the tube for months at great expense and even after putting him and us through all that she only gave him a 10% chance of living. I said no. Couldn't do that to the poor guy. :(

Sorry about your cat.
rose.gif

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
kiss my @ss. This is like someone being upset that their girlfriend died in a drunk driving accident when they were the drunk driver...nobody to blame but themselves. Besides, I'm the most worthless thing on the planet.

Fixed.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000

Too bad we can't leash humans - if we could, hopefully you won't be posting stupid sh!t t like this. Fscking troll.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
no. Death of pets are sad, but it happens. No need to extend its pain and your wallet. Rather get a new one and in a year you will just as happy for the new kitten as you were of your current.

Bassyhead

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2001
If it meant my pet would have to undergo expensive and painful surgery following a long recovery and it would never be the same, it would probably mean it's their time. I'm sure you're faced with a very tough decision, but try to think of what your cat would want if it could tell you.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
unfortunately their short lifespan would not be worth it... I am a huge dog-lover and I don't think I can even say yes to him.

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
i wouldn't resuscitate a lost pet.

i am truly sorry to hear what happened to your cat and i hope for the best.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
When my cat died, the vet tried to resuscitate him to no avail. My utmost respect goes to him, it's amazing to see the kind of care someone can have for an animal that isn't theirs. That said, in this situation, I would definitly ask the doctor if he would be able to recover, and live a somewhat functional life before making a decision. :brokenheart:

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: biostud
no. Death of pets are sad, but it happens. No need to extend its pain and your wallet. Rather get a new one and in a year you will just as happy for the new kitten as you were of your current.

I can say this certainly isn't true.

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
if its going to be in pain for the rest of its life and live in misery, don't be selfish and try to keep it alive. let it be put to sleep peacefully.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
The problem with injuries this bad in a pet is that the animal cannot understand, or take an active part in their recovery. This limits the options available and makes their chances of recovery much slimmer and far more painful.

As much as I love my Buddy, if he was in that condition I would kiss him goodbye and have the dr put him to sleep as I pet him.

I feel for you, Anonemous and hope for the best in whatever you choose to do.

I hope I am never in your situation.

His Lord Uberdude

Nov 15, 2004
A cat is not worth that much. Just adopt one of those poor abonded one's you hear about on Animal Planet all the time, and let this one go.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: His Lord Uberdude
A cat is not worth that much. Just adopt one of those poor abonded one's you hear about ob Animal Planet a;; the time, and let this one go.

I'll never understand this ignorance.

A cat is worth what ever you feel for it. My cat is very close and dear to me. Losing it would be like losing a family member or close friend.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Chadder007
Hell no. Gods way of telling you it's their time.

Would you say that about a Child?

A CAT is NOT a CHILD. THERE IS NO CAMPARING THE TWO.

It is to the person who loves their cat as much as they would a child.

Again, your emotional myopia is making it impossible to understand the feelings of others.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Chadder007
Hell no. Gods way of telling you it's their time.

Would you say that about a Child?

A CAT is NOT a CHILD. THERE IS NO CAMPARING THE TWO.

:thumbsup:

sorry about the cat, I've got one of my own.

I can't really say, just from what you say, that I'd pick.

If he had surgery and he'd recover almost fully then I'd say yes.
If he would not recover very well, no.

Very relative to the situation.