Would you rather have a Tesla Model S or a Porsche 911?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JCH13

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2010
If you're worried about cost of driving, even if you get the charge free, buying a tesla is completely the wrong thing to do... Wow.

I doubt he's worried about the cost. It's just a nice perk.

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
If you're worried about cost of driving, even if you get the charge free, buying a tesla is completely the wrong thing to do... Wow.

You got me. So, besides the "cool" factor of driving for free, here are my reasons.

1. DD driver. With 0RPM torque and tons of interior room and quiet ride, the Tesla makes a DD driver in my opinion.

2. Track. I just think it is sick to have a 4 door sedan being able to track. The same reason why I love the M5 so much. It is just so wrong, lol.

3. Looks. People might find it blasphemous but I've never liked the look of the 911, which looks like an aerodynamic beetle, it is unique but never my cup of tea. I love the look of the Model S.

4. Electric. It would be great to try something different after driving an ICS all these years, a change feels exciting.

5. Exclusitivity. Need I say further?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Tesla because I live right next to couple of their superchargers which charge my car for free.

0 cost driving, mmmmmmmmmm.

Mileage tax...mmmmmmm

You wouldn't use the roads without paying your fair share, would you? :D

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
Another 'pick a car from these random unrelated choices' thread, eh?

I would definitely have to vote 'neither' in this case. Don't give a shit about EV's, and since I do my own work and am not a masochist, I wouldn't own a Porsche unless it was free.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Tesla, yes EV range is limited but it is fast for a EV and has nice lines.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I think I'd rather drive the 911. I think the 911 would work better for a nice 1000 mile road trip through the countryside or through the mountains...

Tesla would be more "practical" for day to day use, but, Honestly, if I had a 911 or a Model S, I'd probably use my Subaru for day to day commuting.

I go on 1000ish mile (one way distance) road trips twice per year.... I go on 200-300 mile (one way distance) road trips maybe 4 or 5 times per year....

It's for these long streteches of open road where having something like a Porsche or a Tesla Model S would be the most beneficial. Only, the Tesla Model S would run out of "go", and well, it's easy to find a gas station, and it only takes like 5 minutes to put 20 gallons in. Finding a "charging station" that takes less than a day might be a challenge.

Last edited:

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
Tesla because I live right next to couple of their superchargers which charge my car for free.

0 cost driving, mmmmmmmmmm.

You'd kill the battery if you used the supercharger all the time, also if you were worried about costs the supercharger option is a minimum $12K option (60kwh battery + $2k supercharger option).

A better option if you had a EV and a single family home is just to do a residential solar lease: see solarcity.com and sungevity.com

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Shouldn't this be between Panamera and Model S? The 911 is a completely different kind of car that satisfies different needs. With my current needs, I'd buy a 911 everyday of the week. If I needed a 4 door though, I would very likely get the Model S.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
I think I'd rather drive the 911.

Well, if it's 'drive' rather than 'have'...911, hands-down.

Does the Tesla still have a single speed trans? I just could not derive any pleasure from driving a fixed gear electric car. It's hard for me to grasp how anyone who likes driving would.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Does the Tesla still have a single speed trans? I just could not derive any pleasure from driving a fixed gear electric car. It's hard for me to grasp how anyone who likes driving would.

The only reason I would "have" any car is to drive it.

The Tesla would clearly make more sense for my commuter/daily driver, but, my Forester is fine for that. It's not terribly bad for a long distance road trip vehicle, but, a 911 would be fvckin awesome for that... especially driving through the mountains :)

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
driven it at the track, I don't think I'd enjoy driving it on the weekend that much on public roads. I also don't have the skill to utilize it properly on the track, I don't want to be "that guy." I've passed a few GT3s on the track in my boxster, must be embarrassing.

admittedly the 911 is a poor value power wise, but cars are about the way they drive and make you feel - M5/S6 doesn't do it for me.

Doesn't really seem to lack for power...

911 Carrera
350 hp @ 7,400 rpm
0-60 mph: 4.6 s
Top Track Speed: 179 mph
Consumption (Highway): 27 mpg

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
Tesla, yes EV range is limited but it is fast for a EV and has nice lines.

I actually saw one on the way to work today. I don't get all the hype about how nice it looks. Its pretty plain just not really anything spectacular

Last edited:

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
The only reason I would "have" any car is to drive it.

The Tesla would clearly make more sense for my commuter/daily driver, but, my Forester is fine for that. It's not terribly bad for a long distance road trip vehicle, but, a 911 would be fvckin awesome for that... especially driving through the mountains :)

Well, I'm kind of an abstract, 'big picture' type of person. So general terms cause me to make general assumptions, and in this case, make me think about all the things related to ownership of the car.

Hence why I'm not a general fan of Porsche. My experiences (albeit limited) have cause me to think that they are really an extreme of German 'asshole engineering.' As in, they don't think past the car rolling off the assembly line. Big middle finger to mechanics, and at the same time, they really seem to penny pinch. E.g. you'll find things that could be way easier if they simply made a hose an inch longer or something...major problems from minor decisions.

But driving? Fuck yeah I'd rather beat on a 911 than anything with an electric motor. The Tesla would make me say, 'wow, this is a really fast, awesome gold cart,' but I wouldn't have any illusions about it being any kind of classic, driver-oriented car. The best body, interior, and chassis on Earth wouldn't save it from the lack of internal combustion and manual gear-changing for me.

JCH13

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2010

Have you driven a single-speed EV?

kache

Nov 10, 2012
Well, I'm kind of an abstract, 'big picture' type of person. So general terms cause me to make general assumptions, and in this case, make me think about all the things related to ownership of the car.

Hence why I'm not a general fan of Porsche. My experiences (albeit limited) have cause me to think that they are really an extreme of German 'asshole engineering.' As in, they don't think past the car rolling off the assembly line. Big middle finger to mechanics, and at the same time, they really seem to penny pinch. E.g. you'll find things that could be way easier if they simply made a hose an inch longer or something...major problems from minor decisions.

But driving? Fuck yeah I'd rather beat on a 911 than anything with an electric motor. The Tesla would make me say, 'wow, this is a really fast, awesome gold cart,' but I wouldn't have any illusions about it being any kind of classic, driver-oriented car. The best body, interior, and chassis on Earth wouldn't save it from the lack of internal combustion and manual gear-changing for me.

At least you'd save the ears of people you drive by on the road...
Gosh, I soo hate cars noise. I've lived near a big street for nearly 12 years, and was hearing that stupid noise (and gasses) 24/7. And on saturday nights, drunk rich retards using streets as racetracks, for their ridiculously noisy supercars.
Although, to be fair, bikes were much noisier, but at least when they crashed on them they actually died, while the retards who crashed on the supercars were still alive, sadly...
I can't wait for all cars to move to electric engines.

Last edited:

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
...I also live on a main artery for my neighborhood. We basically have two major roads that form a cross, and shitpiles of random roads and houses covering up around them. I want to murder people with straight-piped, misfiring hillbilly trucks. And ricers with loudeners (exhaust is louder that something with a cat but no muffler would be) racing up and down the street at odd hours. Or just droning on for two miles on their drive home.

That doesn't reflect the majority of modern cars, though.

Also, I'm not even saying gas (or diesel) is the most viable energy for transportation- just that I would rather drive a real (feel free to dispute my use of 'real,' but for me it has to have a ICE and a non-sequential manual gearbox) sportscar any time, any day.

Feb 10, 2000
I'd take the 911 for sure, but I do like the Tesla Model S as an evolutionary step toward more energy efficient, low pollution cars.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
i am not against EV cars per se. like a hydrogen fuel cell based EV , with rear wheel drive electric motors would be pretty much awesome and much lighter i'm thinking.

that said, im not a fan of super heavy battery powered vehicles that pretend to be sporty. battery density has barely increased inthe last decade, even if these electric car companies keep promising itll improve. and electric motors are already very efficient so i dont know how they plan to build a Li-ion based sports car that is lighter than its gasoline peers unless they come up with a new way to store energy that is denser (like hydrogen fuel cells)

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
I'd take the 911, but then I'm currently a Porsche owner. I've never drive the Tesla though..

Same here. Not sure what the long term longevity of the tesla is either.

My 911 is far from being unbearable, even as a daily driver.

Last edited:

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
Has ANYONE driven a Tesla? Heh. I would not be surprised to find that's a 'no.' Who's even selling these cars? I haven't heard of a distribution deal with a bigger make, nor have I seen any dedicated Tesla dealers.

Also, someone asked if I'd driven a fixed gear EV- nope. Not really had any interest in doing so. Isn't the Leaf the only other one out there? (or is that CVT? I forget.)