Would you pay $7400 for a Casio watch?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jerem

May 25, 2014
Im gonna jump on this 1-year necro and say that casio has a gorgeous watch which will almost certainly be my next purchase;

Casio Oceanus
(that ONE time where misspelling a brand would have been cool)

lnib_casio_oceanus_ocws1001ajf_1508003008_1b3deb48.jpg

Circa £500 or $620 (¥68000)
https://casio.jp/wat/oceanus/3hans/

Uses the same waveceptor movement + radio control to be always accurate to the second, including calendar. Totally solar powered, several months of autonomy.
Hardened titanium chassis, sapphire crystal, mirror polish.

The name is stupid (how hard was it to make it "oceanOs") and the dial is underwhelming, but build-wise it has little to envy to a grand seiko.

Not that you would *need* a watch, but if you do buy watches for the functionality, this is endgame stuff.

Good choice. The dial really isn't lacking IMHO. Nice and clean. I have an Oceanus myself and it has been a great watch.

Mine: https://shop.r10s.jp/wassyoimura-japan/cabinet/2014-2/606859.jpg

Reactions: DigDog

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
$74.00 for a Casio? Are you fucking crazy? I’ve owned two Casio watches...the minute hand fell off both of them...about a month after the warranty expired...

The minute hand uses more battery as it's geared higher, so it's just a battery saving feature to have it fall off. These Casio engineers are just living in 2500 and we don't understand their technology yet.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
you know who might buy that watch? The inventor of the instant pot. His uncle sent him a casio calculator and some math books when he was a little boy. But after reading his life story, i'm not so sure..still lives in a modest house in Canada.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
He was an engineer for Nortel if I recall. Nortel made seriously solid stuff. That's why some of their 40+ year old equipment is still running today. Well it was Northern Telecom back then but close enough. :p Or maybe even Northern Electric. Though I think they did the stepper switches, NT made the DMS. Ours has an uptime longer than I've been alive.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The only watch I've found comfortable to wear was a swatch that was like a couple of mm thick. It was the only one that didn't get caught up on my shirt sleeves or piss me off by flapping around.

Course it got smashed up really quickly because it was only a couple of mm thick.

Fuck watches, this is the 21st century!

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
After thinking about this for 444 days, I have decided that I would not pay $7400.00 for that watch. Thank you for asking.
If you'd bought that watch you'd have more accurate than some bullshit about 444 days! I want my bullshit accurate to the millisecond!