Would you pay $7400 for a Casio watch?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gryz

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2010
I wouldn't even pay 10 euros for a watch. Any watch.

What's the point of having a watch ? The time is available everywhere these days. I bet that watch isn't even NTP-time-sychronized. My PC, my tablet, heck even my phone can tell time more accurately.

Property is nuisance.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

What's the point of having a watch ? The time is available everywhere these days. I bet that watch isn't even NTP-time-sychronized. My PC, my tablet, heck even my phone can tell time more accurately.

Property is nuisance.

What happens if the power goes out?

Nov 29, 2006
I already pay for a cell phone. Ill just look at that for the time. No need to spend more for time telling.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Does anybody really know what time it is... does anybody really fucking care? It's a Five o'clock world when the whistle blows no-one owns a piece of my time...♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I already pay for a cell phone. Ill just look at that for the time. No need to spend more for time telling.

Do you remember that James Bond movie where the beautiful woman at the baccarat table asked Bond for the time and he pulled out his Nokia flip phone to see what time it was? Oh, that's right, that never happened because James Bond wears a watch and doesn't use his phone to tell time like a 15 year old child.

There will come a day soon where I will no longer carry a cell phone around with me 24/7. I look forward to that day.

Reactions: urvile

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
There will come a day soon where I will no longer carry a cell phone around with me 24/7. I look forward to that day.

Yeah, the damn thing will be embedded in your skull. And watch the real malware kick in.

I can see the headlines now...

"Russian hacker group, 'Stalin's Five' holds town hostage saying they will cause 10,000 people to have a heart attack if the mayor doesn't pay their ransom."

Reactions: homebrew2ny

NoTine42

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2013

Property is nuisance.
Then you’d be wrong:
http://www.casio-watches.com/basel/en/product/g-shock/mrg-g2000ht.html
3-way Time Sync
Bluetooth®-equipped GPS Hybrid Wave Ceptor
Accurate timekeeping is assured by the installation of three advanced time-correction systems: terrestrial radio wave reception (Multi Band 6), GPS satellite signal reception and Bluetooth®transmission. The most appropriate system is selected automatically depending on the conditions, and the correct time is displayed for the current time zone anywhere in the world.
It also has
Magnetic resistant
(ISO 764 standard-compliant)

A magnetic-resistant plate installed in the module prevents stoppage or shifting of the hands due to magnetic forces in everyday use without interfering with radio wave reception

pad23amg

Oct 12, 2017
Accurate timekeeping is assured by the installation of three advanced time-correction systems: terrestrial radio wave reception (Multi Band 6), GPS satellite signal reception and Bluetooth®transmission. The most appropriate system is selected automatically depending on the conditions, and the correct time is displayed for the current time zone anywhere in the world.these watches have a complex pin situation for the straps to adjust them and the losss of a cuff that is barely visible leads to upto a 1month wait for watch pins and cuffs, which are £4 and .47 pence respectively gshock should have included spares for the watch band Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri-Band A magnetic-resistant plate installed in the module prevents stoppage or shifting of the hands due to magnetic forces in everyday use without interfering with radio wave reception
if there are any indeed apart from the obvious aesthetics, secondly gshock doesnt list full specs for the watches, which is highly disrespectful when you are asking thousands for a watch that you have just entered into new waters ie luxury branding, Who else has that much amount of monthly amount to spend for a watch. Even the salary of an IAS officer in India is not sufficient to afford such a luxury item. The combined salary of an IAS officer includes basic pay, HRA and DA. Which is no way equals to the $7400 in a month. also these watches have a complex pin situation for the straps to adjust them and the losss of a cuff that is barely visible leads to upto a 1month wait for watch pins and cuffs, which are £4 and .47 pence respectively gshock should have included spares for the watch band
$7400 for a watch ? Not a chance to spend that much money for a watch

Last edited:

PRO SOCDEC

Jan 12, 2019
japan may have launched an esxpensive product however, there are certain points they are severly overlooking. firstly a premium watch requires a premium service and with these models, the representatives dont even know the differences in spec or if there are any indeed apart from the obvious aesthetics, secondly gshock doesnt list full specs for the watches, which is highly disrespectful when you are asking thousands for a watch that you have just entered into new waters ie luxury branding, also these watches have a complex pin situation for the straps to adjust them and the losss of a cuff that is barely visible leads to upto a 1month wait for watch pins and cuffs, which are £4 and .47 pence respectively gshock should have included spares for the watch band... another reason to tink before buying is depreciation and the fact that gshock will make future brands of these series mpre advanced, and be unable to increase the prices so these watches will be retrospect in the technology they boast now.....

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Can't imagine paying that much for ANY watch. Unless it has enough gold on it that I can get more money for it later. Ex: use it as an investment. But I'm not sure I'd even do that. If I had 7k to spend I can think of a lot more things I could spend it on that I would get more utility value out of.

Reactions: whm1974
Nov 8, 2012
I used to wear a watch while going to work just for the look - I don't think I even kept the time on it heh.

But yeah, no, I wouldn't spend $300 for a watch, let alone $7k.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
No haven't worn a watch for a couple years now but before I wore $30 Timex expeditions for about 30 years.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
$74.00 for a Casio? Are you fucking crazy? I’ve owned two Casio watches...the minute hand fell off both of them...about a month after the warranty expired...

Reactions: WelshBloke

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Im gonna jump on this 1-year necro and say that casio has a gorgeous watch which will almost certainly be my next purchase;

Casio Oceanus
(that ONE time where misspelling a brand would have been cool)

lnib_casio_oceanus_ocws1001ajf_1508003008_1b3deb48.jpg

Circa £500 or $620 (¥68000)
https://casio.jp/wat/oceanus/3hans/

Uses the same waveceptor movement + radio control to be always accurate to the second, including calendar. Totally solar powered, several months of autonomy.
Hardened titanium chassis, sapphire crystal, mirror polish.

The name is stupid (how hard was it to make it "oceanOs") and the dial is underwhelming, but build-wise it has little to envy to a grand seiko.

Not that you would *need* a watch, but if you do buy watches for the functionality, this is endgame stuff.