Would it be okay to pour boiling water down my shower drain?

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
When the hot water hits the cold pipes it will cause the pipes to fracture in the slab and ruin your shower permanently, use a snake.

Also, the water will flash to steam and cook you alive.

;)

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
I think it will piss off all the Fraggles. You don't want to piss of the Fraggles. They can get the Doozers to do things to you.

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
There are products out there which are specifically designed to unblock drainage pipes. I can?t imagine boiling hot water having much effect on a viscous sludge that?s partially blocking your drain pipe.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
In most cases it won't hurt the pipes, but it won't do much good either.

What were you hoping to accomplish?

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Captante
In most cases it won't hurt the pipes, but it won't do much good either.

What were you hoping to accomplish?

Create a cloud of steam in his shower, and a pool of scalding water?

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: RichUK
There are products out there which are specifically designed to unblock drainage pipes. I can?t imagine boiling hot water having much effect on a viscous sludge that?s partially blocking your drain pipe.

boiling water is a much better solvent than cold water, so if something's soluble in water, it will get rid of that. Also, viscosity drops dramatically with temperature, so even if it isn't soluble, the lowered viscosity and force of the water might push past the blockage.

That said, it won't be nearly as effective as a real drain cleaner. Or you could pour in some draino, THEN boiling water, but that's asking for trouble.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: jagec
Originally posted by: RichUK

boiling water is a much better solvent than cold water, so if something's soluble in water, it will get rid of that. Also, viscosity drops dramatically with temperature, so even if it isn't soluble, the lowered viscosity and force of the water might push past the blockage.

That said, it won't be nearly as effective as a real drain cleaner. Or you could pour in some draino, THEN boiling water, but that's asking for trouble.

Mmmmm, deadly shower cloud...

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: MisterJackson
A 50/50 mixture of Ammonia and Clorox should do the trick.

For the sake of any stupid readers here, MisterJackson is making a joke. This mixture is actually really toxic and the fumes can do a lot of damage.

All seriousness aside...lol!

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: MisterJackson
A 50/50 mixture of Ammonia and Clorox should do the trick.

That could actually kill you. I dont think thats even remotely funny.

effowe

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
I got some Drano Gel that worked wonders on my clogged shower drain. It said "safe for all pipes" and I had no issues.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Queasy
I think it will piss off all the Fraggles. You don't want to piss of the Fraggles. They can get the Doozers to do things to you.

:laugh:

What a glorious show. :(

To the Fraggles! :beer:

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
Wait, the OP is unaware of what lurks within the depths of his shower drain. :Q

It could be a Troll. Trolls are bad.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: effowe
I got some Drano Gel that worked wonders on my clogged shower drain. It said "safe for all pipes" and I had no issues.

I'll show them, I'll make a drain pipe out of vinegar crystals, and sue when it dissolves!

Poulsonator

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2002
I had to snake my shower drain just this past weekend. It was so clogged hardly any water was going down...lake Poulsonator in my shower, complete with soapy foam top. Pulled out some disgusting stuff, but now it drains so well that it's hard to tell it's actually draining (besides the fact water isn't actually pooling up).

Definitely snake it. It's free, usually will fix your problem (definitely more effective than boiling hot water), and is considerably less toxic than Draino (or whatever).