Would it be okay to pour boiling water down my shower drain?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Originally posted by: rivan
Originally posted by: Leros
Another vote for ZipIt :thumbsup:

The best price I've seen is around $2.38 at Walmart in the plumbing department.

Eww.

It isn't pretty but it's effective without using harmful and expensive chemicals.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sPyEEAtJoE

As a long-hair hippie type, with a long-haired wife and one long-haired kid, I can say that the Zip-It is the best $2 I've ever spent. What it pulls out isn't pretty, but it's 10x as effective as any of a zillion drain-o type products I've used, and infinitely cheaper.

As a cheap ass hot dealer, where did you find a ZipIt for $2?

In-store @ the corner hardware store a couple years back. It might have been $3, though, it's been a while ;)

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
What would the boiling water do besides create a cloud of steam and possibly damage the pipes? I would go with that ZipIt thing, it seems to be the best option aside from Drano.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: RichUK
There are products out there which are specifically designed to unblock drainage pipes. I can?t imagine boiling hot water having much effect on a viscous sludge that?s partially blocking your drain pipe.

oils soften when hot.

Drano products produce a lot of heat as well.

The worst thing though is loading a pipe up with drano and not having it drain. Now you are dealing with a clog and acid.

The pipe bursting can happen if the pipes are frozen...most of the time you shouldn't have that situation in an indoor shower drain.

You do want to be careful and keep your face away from the drain in case it does vent or bubble up something.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Originally posted by: MisterJackson
DO NOT DO THIS!: A 50/50 mixture of Ammonia and Clorox should do the trick.

For the sake of any stupid readers here, MisterJackson is making a joke. This mixture is actually really toxic and the fumes can do a lot of damage.

All seriousness aside...lol!

Yeah that should be editted. It's a very serious poison and doesn't require a 50/50 mix.

Freaking dumbass to post that up.