Woman raises confederate flag high in South Carolina black neighborhood

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
There were Jews in what is now Israel, how could all the arabs in the region find something much more in their face offensive?

It's someone being an @ss to be an @ss when the vast vast majority of the people around her would really rather not see that. I.e., it's the same F'ing thing.

Poor Libs, so many dilemma's for you all recently... :D

Do you genuinely believe the old Burlington Coat Factory building was chosen as the location for Park51 just to be an "@ss" or is this just a character you play on the Internet?

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
I believe that a ton of folks in that area didn't want them to build/locate there given the proximity to 9/11 ground zero. Instead of taking a second and thinking about it, and then chosing some other location, they went ahead and what happened happened.

Just like instead of this woman realizing she's surrounded by a vastly majority black population, one who's going to have just a slight bit of sensitivity to seeing a Confederate flag waving in their face everyday, and maybe thinking Hmmm, this would be a really @sshole move on my part and thusly not doing it...she goes and does what she's done.

It's the same thing. Different scope, different location, same thing. And it's along the lines of the same thing TRoTW did to the "Palestinian's" when they created what is now Israel.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
She's being a jerk, but she's within her first amendment rights, and those rights should be protected. This concept is novel to many libs, but you have to protect people's rights even if you don't agree with how they use them.

No, the concept is not "novel to many libs." No one in this thread has said she doesn't have the legal right. The OP in fact said the opposite straight away. This is a straw man basically 100% of the time it is used in this context. Criticizing someone's speech /= opposing the right to speak. This comes up every time someone is critical of speech. Someone has to put out this straw man, like clockwork. I would argue that playing the "you're against the First Amendment" card is, ironically, a way of stifling speech you do not like. People should fear to be critical of another's speech lest they be labelled anti-free speech.

- wolf

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
News flash: She decided to take it down, the neighborhood rejoices on the platform overlooking the fence.

1255558009_jammin-fail.gif

D:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I believe that a ton of folks in that area didn't want them to build/locate there given the proximity to 9/11 ground zero. Instead of taking a second and thinking about it, and then chosing some other location, they went ahead and what happened happened.

Just like instead of this woman realizing she's surrounded by a vastly majority black population, one who's going to have just a slight bit of sensitivity to seeing a Confederate flag waving in their face everyday, and maybe thinking Hmmm, this would be a really @sshole move on my part and thusly not doing it...she goes and does what she's done.

It's the same thing. Different scope, different location, same thing. And it's along the lines of the same thing TRoTW did to the "Palestinian's" when they created what is now Israel.

The Confederacy was an institution created for the explicit purpose of continuing the enslavement and oppression of black people. That was its reason for existence.

Islam was not created for the express purpose of destroying office buildings.

Hopefully this clears up why they are not the same.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000

So, what is the appropriate distance that muslims are allowed to building anything near ground zero?
I mean, Manhattan is not a large chunk of real estate where you can really pick and choose where things go up. Most of the outrage I saw wasn't from New Yorkers anyway, just a bunch of THIS IS ARE COUNTRY types.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Given the magnitude of their F up, as far away as possible. I wouldn't advocate those of Christian faith building anything remotely connected to that faith anywhere close to where US/Western forces have killed civilians on our WoT either.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
that flag was never actually used by the confederacy.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I don't get why people have such a hard-on for the Confederacy and I think that the romanticization of the Southern "cause" is absurd. That being said, she's got a right to fly the flag. The best thing to do is ignore her.

This has literally been the only worthwhile response to this thread.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
that flag was never actually used by the confederacy.
Variations on that flag were used as battle flags by the various Armies of the Confederacy to avoid confusion between the Stars and Stripes and the Stars and Bars.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
The Confederacy was an institution created for the explicit purpose of continuing the enslavement and oppression of black people. That was its reason for existence.

Islam was not created for the express purpose of destroying office buildings.

Hopefully this clears up why they are not the same.
You can't possibly know that. :D

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
Don't even try to equate the Nazi flag to the confederate flag.

I do nazi what the problem is. jew getting mad at his analogy? not me. it is not out of mein kampfort zone. you are being irrational, anne frankly i dont like it one bit

:awe:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Variations on that flag were used as battle flags by the various Armies of the Confederacy to avoid confusion between the Stars and Stripes and the Stars and Bars.

more accurately, this flag is a variation of the flags used by the armies to avoid confusion

Taejin

Moderator<br>Love & Relationships
Aug 29, 2004
confederate flag: flag of racists and slavery

I'm sure there's plenty of inbreds out there who wish for the antebellum, when good ole Jim would bring them their lemonade as they whipped the living fuck out of him.

sickening.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
I do not see the problem here, she can fly a Swastika or a Commie flag for all I care, we live in a liberal society, it is her right to free speech to fly the flag of her choice on her property.

That being said, the police should not feel obligated to station a car out in front of her house to protect her property (or her for that matter) for trolling in real life.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
There were Jews in what is now Israel, how could all the arabs in the region find something much more in their face offensive?

It's someone being an @ss to be an @ss when the vast vast majority of the people around her would really rather not see that. I.e., it's the same F'ing thing.

Poor Libs, so many dilemma's for you all recently... :D

Poor Cons, grasping at so many straws lately... :D

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
If it's an area with a large population that would take offense at the flag/her actions, they should just change the zoning laws. Not gonna be able to prohibit the flying of the flag, but you can certainly zone as to height.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Considering the history totally appropriate comparison.

Nazi - extermination of Jews
Confederate - extermination of blacks

how many blacks did the rebels gas? remind me again i seem to have missed that in history class.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Sounds like Muslims building a mosque right by 9/11 ground zero...shouldn't be a problem for the Lefties at all I'd think...

Kinda like Catholics building churches next to schools and offering daycare service too right?

Group punishment FTW

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
confederate flag: flag of racists and slavery

I'm sure there's plenty of inbreds out there who wish for the antebellum, when good ole Jim would bring them their lemonade as they whipped the living fuck out of him.

sickening.

another history fail. good job! keep up the good work you are going places.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Solution is simple:
Neighbor to the right: fly a LGBT rainbow flag
Neighbor across the street: fly a Mexico flag
Neighbor to the left: fly a 35-star US flag (Official flag when Lee surrendered)
Neighbor directly behind: fly a North Carolina flag

If that happens she's going to secede from the neighborhood.....ooops, my bad. It looks like she's already done that.:D