Woman raises confederate flag high in South Carolina black neighborhood

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Wait til the H.O.A. hears about it.
I can see it now.

Dear Home Owner,
There are too many black people in your house. Please remove them immediately. Failure to do so will result in a $300 fine and a lein against your property until it is paid.

Sincerely,
HOA

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
"I'm here to stay. I didn't back down and because I didn't cower the neighbors say I'm the lady who loves her flag and loves her heritage," said the 51-year old Caddell who moved into the historically black Brownsville neighborhood in the summer of 2010. Her ancestors fought for the Confederacy.

Troll-troll-troll your boat

CFP

Apr 26, 2006
Personally I don't understand this attraction to the Confederate battle flag. It's a beautiful flag and yes, part of our southern heritage, but it's not a part anyone should want to emphasize. It's like having a painting made of that time you got drunk and groped your aunt; ain't nobody forgetting it happened, but that doesn't mean you want to remind them.

haha nice

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I wish all the kooks would fly flags to warn the neighbors. Sort of self quarantine.

Macamus Prime

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2011
Idiots.

The South wasn't about keeping slavery,... it was about being free, in order to keep slaves!! GAWD! Why can't you darn carpet baggers get it rawght?!

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I wish all the kooks would fly flags to warn the neighbors. Sort of self quarantine.
article-2040820-0E0AD5DB00000578-228_468x286.jpg

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
I don't get why people have such a hard-on for the Confederacy and I think that the romanticization of the Southern "cause" is absurd. That being said, she's got a right to fly the flag. The best thing to do is ignore her.

My co-worker's great or great-great grandfather fought on the side of the confederacy. His family wasn't plantation owners, just citizens of the south called upon to fight the war of "northern aggression". They weren't fighting to a man to defend slavery, and that is were liberal mindsets get it wrong. Millions died fighting. The flag isn't just a symbol that can and is linked to slavery, but also linked to the thousands upon thousands of average southerners that died fighting in a civil war. It is dishonorable to treat the confederate flag as one strictly tied to slavery and racism.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

Hehe. Back in college a couple friends and I were camping at a state park campground. We were tent camping, the only folks in the park, and just having a quiet evening around the fire. At about dusk, a big ass RV pulled into the site next to ours. The people never even got out, they just hid in the RV running the #$#$% generator. So I yelled to my friend "Where did you put the other bottle of vodka, this one's empty!" He yelled back "I think we drank it all, go ask those folks if they have any!" The RV fired up and moved to the far end of the campground and we went back to our quiet evening.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
My co-worker's great or great-great grandfather fought on the side of the confederacy. His family wasn't plantation owners, just citizens of the south called upon to fight the war of "northern aggression". They weren't fighting to a man to defend slavery, and that is were liberal mindsets get it wrong. Millions died fighting. The flag isn't just a symbol that can and is linked to slavery, but also linked to the thousands upon thousands of average southerners that died fighting in a civil war. It is dishonorable to treat the confederate flag as one strictly tied to slavery and racism.

It doesn't matter if every Confederate soldier was fighting to defend slavery, the Confederacy's reason for existence was the perpetuation of slavery. Just as every German fighting in WW2 wasn't a Nazi, the symbol of that state is still an offensive one as it represents an abhorrent institution. Nazi Germany and the Confederacy were not equally terrible, but they were both still abominable and immoral creations.

Nobody here is objecting to honoring the soldiers who died in the Civil War, they are objecting to the proud display of the symbol of a racist slave state.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

you are right. the civil war was not only about slavery.

this lady has the right to fly the flag. while the negitive thought associated with the flag is understandable and i find it rude and wrong to fly it. she does have that right.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
you are right. the civil war was not only about slavery.

this lady has the right to fly the flag. while the negitive thought associated with the flag is understandable and i find it rude and wrong to fly it. she does have that right.

The Civil War was about slavery more than anything else. Far more than anything else.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Solution is simple:
Neighbor to the right: fly a LGBT rainbow flag
Neighbor across the street: fly a Mexico flag
Neighbor to the left: fly a 35-star US flag (Official flag when Lee surrendered)
Neighbor directly behind: fly a North Carolina flag

All her neighbors should buy the biggest boom-boxes they can find, place them on posts above the level of the 8-foot fences and point the speakers at the woman's house, and then play gangsta rap at full volume whenever the confederate flag is visible.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Extremely distasteful given the history of that flag and what it represents (in spite of modern revisionists' best efforts). She does, however, have a 1st Amendment right to fly it nor has it been banned in the same manner as Germany has banned the Nazi flag.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Best thing her neighbors can do is either be excessively polite to her or ignore her entirely. These poor souls are falling for the flame bait so f'ing hard its impossible not to pity them.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Best thing her neighbors can do is either be excessively polite to her or ignore her entirely. These poor souls are falling for the flame bait so f'ing hard its impossible not to pity them.

Her black neighbors should burn a cross on her lawn :D

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
She's being a jerk, but she's within her first amendment rights, and those rights should be protected. This concept is novel to many libs, but you have to protect people's rights even if you don't agree with how they use them.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
All her neighbors should buy the biggest boom-boxes they can find, place them on posts above the level of the 8-foot fences and point the speakers at the woman's house, and then play gangsta rap at full volume whenever the confederate flag is visible.

So, counter a legal activity with an illegal one (like many are already doing by throwing rocks at her windows etc)?

Thats a great plan!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
She's being a jerk, but she's within her first amendment rights, and those rights should be protected. This concept is novel to many libs, but you have to protect people's rights even if you don't agree with how they use them.

Where is anyone trying to have the government stop her from flying it? You do realize that the first amendment only applies to the government, right?

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
There was already a mosque in the trade centers fool.

There were Jews in what is now Israel, how could all the arabs in the region find something much more in their face offensive?

Actually, it sounds nothing like that at all.

It's someone being an @ss to be an @ss when the vast vast majority of the people around her would really rather not see that. I.e., it's the same F'ing thing.

Poor Libs, so many dilemma's for you all recently... :D

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

Gee I never realized the ACLU and countless other volunteers and organizations were actually conservatives pretending to be liberals. Thanks for indoctrinating me with "The Truth" about liberals.