Wisconsin GOP aims to bypass state electoral commission

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
So because they’re butthurt over losing the federal election in 2020, the bipartisan commission they created no longer works for them and those commissioners should be jailed? Also, “Democrats are evil and cheat, therefore we shouldn’t have to follow the rules!” This doesn’t bode well for democracy in the 30th state. I’ve read this article three times and still can’t believe I’m reading what I’m reading.

But hey, keep watching out for those Antifa boogeymen in Kenosha while the goons in Madison steal your state from right under you!

Republicans in Wisconsin are engaged in an all-out assault on the state’s election system, building off their attempts to challenge the results of the 2020 presidential race by pressing to give themselves full control over voting in the state.

The Republican effort — broader and more forceful than that in any other state where allies of former President Donald J. Trump are trying to overhaul elections — takes direct aim at the bipartisan Wisconsin Elections Commission, an agency Republicans created half a decade ago that has been under attack since the chaotic aftermath of last year’s election.

The onslaught picked up late last month after a long-awaited report on the 2020 results that was ordered by Republican state legislators found no evidence of fraud but made dozens of suggestions for the election commission and the G.O.P.-led Legislature, fueling Republican demands for more control of elections.

Then the Trump-aligned sheriff of Racine County, the state’s fifth most populous county, recommended felony charges against five of the six members of the election commission for guidance they had given to municipal clerks early in the pandemic. The Republican majority leader of the State Senate later seemed to give a green light to that proposal, saying that “prosecutors around the state” should determine whether to bring charges.
And last week, Senator Ron Johnson, a Republican, said that G.O.P. state lawmakers should unilaterally assert control of federal elections, claiming that they had the authority to do so even if Gov. Tony Evers, a Democrat, stood in their way — an extraordinary legal argument debunked by a 1932 Supreme Court decision and a 1964 ruling from the Wisconsin Supreme Court. His suggestion was nonetheless echoed by Michael Gableman, a conservative former State Supreme Court justice who is conducting the Legislature’s election inquiry.

Republican control of Wisconsin elections is necessary, Mr. Johnson said in an interview on Wednesday, because he believes Democrats cheat.

“Do I expect Democrats to follow the rules?” said the senator, who over the past year has promoted fringe theories on topics like the Capitol riot and Covid vaccines. “Unfortunately, I probably don’t expect them to follow the rules. And other people don’t either, and that’s the problem.”

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
And all this is made possible because Republicans in Wisconsin effectively ended democracy on a state level there already. For all intents and purposes it is impossible for Democrats to EVER win control of the legislature there. Look at the results in 2018.

Democrats won the popular legislative vote by 8 points, the result of which was a near supermajority for Republicans. Estimates are that Democrats need to win the popular vote by TWENTY POINTS in order to get a 1 seat majority. Now that they have ended democracy in state elections they are looking to leverage that power to take over and rig federal elections.

FEkCLNTVcAMN7ff

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
So because they’re butthurt over losing the federal election in 2020, the bipartisan commission they created no longer works for them and those commissioners should be jailed? Also, “Democrats are evil and cheat, therefore we shouldn’t have to follow the rules!” This doesn’t bode well for democracy in the 30th state. I’ve read this article three times and still can’t believe I’m reading what I’m reading.

But hey, keep watching out for those Antifa boogeymen in Kenosha while the goons in Madison steal your state from right under you!

Republicans in Wisconsin are engaged in an all-out assault on the state’s election system, building off their attempts to challenge the results of the 2020 presidential race by pressing to give themselves full control over voting in the state.

The Republican effort — broader and more forceful than that in any other state where allies of former President Donald J. Trump are trying to overhaul elections — takes direct aim at the bipartisan Wisconsin Elections Commission, an agency Republicans created half a decade ago that has been under attack since the chaotic aftermath of last year’s election.

The onslaught picked up late last month after a long-awaited report on the 2020 results that was ordered by Republican state legislators found no evidence of fraud but made dozens of suggestions for the election commission and the G.O.P.-led Legislature, fueling Republican demands for more control of elections.

Then the Trump-aligned sheriff of Racine County, the state’s fifth most populous county, recommended felony charges against five of the six members of the election commission for guidance they had given to municipal clerks early in the pandemic. The Republican majority leader of the State Senate later seemed to give a green light to that proposal, saying that “prosecutors around the state” should determine whether to bring charges.
And last week, Senator Ron Johnson, a Republican, said that G.O.P. state lawmakers should unilaterally assert control of federal elections, claiming that they had the authority to do so even if Gov. Tony Evers, a Democrat, stood in their way — an extraordinary legal argument debunked by a 1932 Supreme Court decision and a 1964 ruling from the Wisconsin Supreme Court. His suggestion was nonetheless echoed by Michael Gableman, a conservative former State Supreme Court justice who is conducting the Legislature’s election inquiry.

Republican control of Wisconsin elections is necessary, Mr. Johnson said in an interview on Wednesday, because he believes Democrats cheat.

“Do I expect Democrats to follow the rules?” said the senator, who over the past year has promoted fringe theories on topics like the Capitol riot and Covid vaccines. “Unfortunately, I probably don’t expect them to follow the rules. And other people don’t either, and that’s the problem.”
Sounds like communism. One party rule.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Ron Johnson is an embarrassment to my state. I've posted things on his Facebook page, and had people threaten to come to my house and "straighten me out". We certainly don't plan to retire here once we are done working.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Ron Johnson is an embarrassment to my state. I've posted things on his Facebook page, and had people threaten to come to my house and "straighten me out". We certainly don't plan to retire here once we are done working.
why wait to relocate? (i'm sure there's a very good answer or you would have already)

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The odds we have a giant electoral crisis in 2024 are high and growing.
Negotiating a split is the only way to avoid every state falling under fascist rule. Yes lots of Democrats will be stuck in fascist land, but at least tens and tens of millions will be saved from that fate

Reactions: DarthKyrie

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
How many are still wondering why we need federal regulation concerning elections?

I wonder what people who are against Biden packing the courts say about this?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
When in doubt keep whitey in power

Who's crank do you suck around here to be able to continue making racist posts?

Mod baiting. Never a good idea.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Who's crank do you suck around here to be able to continue making racist posts?
You poor snowflake. Instead of being a passive aggressive shit report his posts if you think they cross a line. But I do love a former forum admin of all people basically doing a mod call out.
Things you can’t make up.

Reactions: DarthKyrie and BD:)

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
And all this is made possible because Republicans in Wisconsin effectively ended democracy on a state level there already. For all intents and purposes it is impossible for Democrats to EVER win control of the legislature there. Look at the results in 2018.

Democrats won the popular legislative vote by 8 points, the result of which was a near supermajority for Republicans. Estimates are that Democrats need to win the popular vote by TWENTY POINTS in order to get a 1 seat majority. Now that they have ended democracy in state elections they are looking to leverage that power to take over and rig federal elections.

FEkCLNTVcAMN7ff
This needs a federal investigation for violations of the Guarantee clause. Federalism and states rights do not allow a state to rig their elections in this fashion.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
This needs a federal investigation for violations of the Guarantee clause. Federalism and states rights do not allow a state to rig their elections in this fashion.
Apparently the Supreme Court didn't think this was even worth adjudicating and it's only gotten more partisan and right wing since.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Congress should’ve pushed harder on the voting bill, instead of BBB.
We’re screwed as a country by 2024.

Reactions: Lezunto

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Like BBB will go anywhere.
Well if the only objective was passing the House, this was indeed done first, mission accomplished on voting rights! But BBB only needs 50 senate votes, rather than the 60 currently needed on the voting rights bill that has been derailed in the Senate.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
if you read the article the quotes by the Democrats are correct, but just so politely worded.

Just straight out say it - the Republicans are trying to overthrow democracy and are fascist or authoritarian. That's it. Say it out loud and proud. People enjoy simple language even for complex issues, but this is cut and dry shit.