Windows - So now we have to Get an App from the Store if we want the hope of making it Default?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I just noticed in 1803 that the "pick whatever default app you want" option of previous versions of Windows may have finally come to an end. If you try going through the Control Panel, Default Apps, Associate a file or protocol with a Program, it just brings to to the Default apps page of settings now. And wen you select "choose default apps by file type" from that page, Windows will only show you the pre-selected option, or the option to find one in a store. I looked at a few of these to make sure.

In my case, I had downloaded MusicBee from their website, and in previous releases of 10, it would automatically show this as a default app option. When I recently did a clean install of 1803, this did not happen when I installed it. I had to download the app from the Store, then I was given the option.

Now, why on earth would Microsoft find the need to do this? The only thing I can come up with is trying to steer people towards using the Store more, for apps that they know are safe and compatible. But maybe the AT community has other ideas.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
"Allow apps from anywhere" was the selection by default, and is still selected. Based on what I have seen so far, it looks like Microsoft was a bit out of order in several of these options (as noted above, many just take you to the same place, or the wrong place). I may send the question over to the Microsoft forums and see what they have to say.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
That link does not work. Get not authorized to access that page.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
The link provides a sign in page for those who have a Microsoft Account.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Yes, and I did sign in with my MSN account ... It still did not let me access that page. Can you access it ? ?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
No, it is limited to OneDrive, Xbox and Outlook, and I have none of those (and probably never will) :)

One of Microsoft's goals is to have everyone on line and licensed to their cloud.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
I have an old MSN Email account and I can login to the MS Windows Forums ... But that forum thread is nowhere to be found. Maybe a typo or the OP left a character or two off the link when it was copied and pasted into the thread here.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Well, I can't say for sure, but I believe MS filters these, so it may not be available yet, like in this happy place :) To post the question, I used a very old Hotmail account. I will keep you posted if anyone replies.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Got a response:

GD Gino Des replied on Microsoft Agent
Hi Michael,

You should still be able to use any suitable apps or program to open and play your MP3 files. However, the program should already be installed on your computer. Allow apps from anywhere lets you install any apps as you would normally do from any source. The option only affects installing apps and programs and not opening files. What you can do is to set Music Bee as the default app. Here's how:
  1. Click Start.
  2. Click on the cog icon to open Settings, and select Apps.
  3. Select Defaults apps, and select Choose default apps by file type.
  4. Look for .mp3 in the list, and select Music Bee.
If the issue persists after the Windows 10 April 2018 Update (version 1803), we highly encourage you to post this issue and your experience on the Feedback Hub to increase visibility and awareness. Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. For more information about the Feedback Hub, see our support article and YouTube video.

Let us know how it goes so we can assist you further.

My response:

That you for the reply. Here is an image of what I am talking about. On the far left of the pic is shortcut that MusicBee left from the install. The screen in focus shows that with the .mp3 file type selected, in the Choose default apps by file type, The ability to Choose is not available.
mp3_selected.jpg

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Is the default browser setting also affected by this?

- edit - post 6's link works for me.

Last edited:

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Ok, the link in post 6 works for me.
The issue at hand is something I first saw in a previous preview build. It has been partially fixed in the later builds. A work around, Wondoze Explorer>right click on the file>properties>open with>change>.........and follow l the trail.........

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Glad to see the link has passed their "evaluation" phase. I am going to try a fresh download on another VM later and see if I can duplicate.Probably no time today.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
They removed that option AFAICT. It might be specific to something musicbee is doing/not doing to register itself as I can choose non-store apps I have installed for other filetypes. For example I can choose to associate .html files with firefox.

You can still choose any app by going through the "Open With..." menus from shift+right click the file.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Just tried the OP's problem with a fresh install of 1803. While the Settings app is missing the 'look for another app on this PC' option, as quikah kinda said, the right-click on file > open with > more apps > 'look for another app on this PC' option is still present. The lack of option in the Settings app seems like an oversight (or perhaps a technical limitation of Metro apps?) rather than MS douching Windows up.

@quikah

Why shift + right-click? Just right-click will do.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Probably a screw up on MS part ... This is what happens when they rush out major changes. If they insist on doing these needless feature upgrades, it should be once year or even once every two years. This way the bugs can be worked out before they are released.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
BTW: Seems like there is a bug in Musicbee. I just installed Dopamine & Foobar 2000 and it shows up in the list for .mp3 files. I suggest filing a bug with the Musicbee devs.

OK, you need to run Musicbee as an Administrator then check "Enable MusicBee in Windows Explorer" option, it will then show up in the default app settings. The default install doesn't register MusicBee as able to handle these filetypes.

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
MusicBee was just my example. I believe the choose option should be available from the file type menu. This particular issue can be worked around by the right-click menu (AFAICT) or by downloading the MusicBee app from the store.