Windows - So now we have to Get an App from the Store if we want the hope of making it Default?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
While staying with the same app, I looked at the install on my desktop, which was upgraded to 1803, and it shows it correctly as a selectable option. I hadn't done any right-clicking on a file to make it the default either. With this particular app, I just point it to the folder where my music is stored, and play it from within the app.

upgraded_win10.jpg

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Just because it is a new or fresh install, does not mean it is not corrupted. He has an issue on 1 of his computers and not on another. So that says something did not go properly on one computer .. Oh and this was for Ketchup

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I'm not sure if we're talking about cross-purposes. I'm talking about the lack of option to browse for an app from the Settings app (which I don't think he was talking about being different on one machine compared to another). I think you may be talking about his MusicBee installation (which I have not attempted to install here).

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
That page lists fixes in case certain file extension types are not listed. I think if he uses whatever one he thinks is missing, it should fix it.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
That page lists fixes in case certain file extension types are not listed. I think if he uses whatever one he thinks is missing, it should fix it.

Unless I've completely got the wrong end of the stick, this issue isn't about missing file extension types, but the option to browse the file system for a program to associate with a file type.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Mikeymikec has it. I believe the settings carry over fine from an upgrade, but a fresh install of the latest version fully reveals the limitation.

Last edited: