'.Windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computers hardware'

Jord-O

Dec 6, 2016
Today I bought a new SSD, the Crucial MX300 525GB.
When I install windows, everything works until it reboots and gives me the error: 'Windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computers hardware'.
I get this when installing windows 7 and windows 10.
I already tried the msoobe fix but then it gets stuck on the loading screen 'Just a moment' forever...
Is the SSD damaged and should I get a replacement or is there another fix?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
If you have another PC, try it in that.

If not, make sure the cables are plugged in fully (reseat it), try a different SATA cable, and make sure you connect it is connected to an Intel controller and not Asmedia.

Reactions: Jord-O

Jord-O

Dec 6, 2016
If you have another PC, try it in that.

If not, make sure the cables are plugged in fully (reseat it), try a different SATA cable, and make sure you connect it is connected to an Intel controller and not Asmedia.

Thanks, but I already reseated the sata cable and also tried a different one. It is connected to an intel controller.
I put my old ssd in (samsung 850 evo) and installed windows and it worked perfectly...
I'm gonna get the same Crucial ssd tomorrow and see if that works because I really think this one is broken.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It might just be toast if you've tried all of that. Sometimes, although extremely rarely, certain models of SSDs just don't play nicely with certain motherboards.

When in doubt, I hook them up in another computer or throw them in an external enclosure

Reactions: Jord-O

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Another thing I thought of is did you update your BIOS to see if there were any new versions fixing incompatibilities?

Jord-O

Dec 6, 2016
Another thing I thought of is did you update your BIOS to see if there were any new versions fixing incompatibilities?

I checked but it is up to date. I will let you know what happens today when I get the replacement ssd.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
OP didn't mention his other hardware.

His description is exactly what I'd encountered with my ASUS Z170 motherboard. I had to download some patch-installer that slipstreams the OS disc for an ISO and burn to DVD-R. It was the only way I could get Win 7 to install. Also, probably best to have the proprietary drivers (Intel?) ready on a USB thumb for the HDD controller.

Also -- might try initializing the Crucial as GPT with some bootable utility before proceeding. I could be wrong about all of this.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
OP didn't mention his other hardware.

His description is exactly what I'd encountered with my ASUS Z170 motherboard. I had to download some patch-installer that slipstreams the OS disc for an ISO and burn to DVD-R. It was the only way I could get Win 7 to install. Also, probably best to have the proprietary drivers (Intel?) ready on a USB thumb for the HDD controller.

Also -- might try initializing the Crucial as GPT with some bootable utility before proceeding. I could be wrong about all of this.

This would be the case because the Windows 7 doesn't know how to handle Skylake without a workaround. But if the OP was trying Windows 10, and was using a SATA port off the Intel chip, this shouldn't have been a problem. But I agree, a motherboard model may have helped. We will know more when the replacement drive comes in.

Jord-O

Dec 6, 2016
I'm now installing Windows 10 on the replacement ssd, about 10 minutes and I know more...
Btw the motherboard is a ASRock Z77 Pro3

Edit: Exactly the same problem as before... :(

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Sounds like it simply is incompatible with that board.

If you want to really want to keep the drive, you can try emailing their tech support and see if they are working on a BIOS update for it as some users have been sent unpublished updates from them before.

But since it's an older board, they probably aren't allocating any resources towards it anymore.

Jord-O

Dec 6, 2016
Such a shame, really disappointed in Crucial. On their website it's says it's guaranteed to work. LAME!
Well, thanks for the help guys! Think I'm going for a Samsung 850 then.

Reactions: UsandThem

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Such a shame, really disappointed in Crucial. On their website it's says it's guaranteed to work. LAME!
Well, thanks for the help guys! Think I'm going for a Samsung 850 then.

I know it sucks, but it sometimes happens. If it makes you less irritated at Crucial, the last time the exact same thing happened on this site with another user, it was a 850 EVO that was incompatible with his system and he ended replacing it with a Crucial drive. ;)

Jord-O

Dec 6, 2016
I know it sucks, but it sometimes happens. If it makes you less irritated at Crucial, the last time the exact same thing happened on this site with another user, it was a 850 EVO that was incompatible with his system and he ended replacing it with a Crucial drive. ;)

xD