Windows 8 Pro, Ultimate Upgrade $39.99

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I don't think there is such a thing as a retail full-version package. You can get an OEM full-version at Newegg but that runs about $100.

Right. Sorry for the confusion. I meant the full OEM/System Builder version. Trying to fig. out how to take advantage of the upgrade price. Based on the article linkg a few posts above, I might try this on a clean install once I burn the ISO. Otherwise, I'll have to install xp on the new ssd, get all the updates to SP3, then install the upgrade. That's a major PITA.

makken

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2004
That is for the $15 upgrade only if you buy a new PC.

So I decided to give that a try. It seems like they don't really verify it, so you could you use a .. umm... quite liberal interpretation of what a computer is ;)

I entered my computer info as the motherboard I purchased from NewEgg earlier this month, and they accepted it.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Right. Sorry for the confusion. I meant the full OEM/System Builder version. Trying to fig. out how to take advantage of the upgrade price. Based on the article linkg a few posts above, I might try this on a clean install once I burn the ISO. Otherwise, I'll have to install xp on the new ssd, get all the updates to SP3, then install the upgrade. That's a major PITA.

If you have an ISO copy you can do a clean install. I tried it yesterday and works wonders.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
I don't know what the rush is, you got a few months to get in on this deal.
Let other people be guinea pigs, and then you can have a clearer picture in a couple of months.

At the moment kaspersky av 2012 is not compatible and my ati control center is having trouble but that might just need a reinstall I haven't had time to test. Other than that nothing on my work laptop had issues. Office(obv), quick books, Dropbox, MozyPro, etc all worked 100% after the upgrade. No issues with lost data either

Thanks for the advice guys. I definitely want to take advantage of this deal. Whether it's now or later, I don't see myself not upgrading so I'll wait a bit and see how things are, but I definitely want to buy before the deal expires.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Although he is upgrading from a non-legit Win 7 it's a good guide to the installation process. http://www.davejunia.com/2012/10/windows-8-pro-upgrade-experience/
Make sure you burn the iso file to a DVD or copy it to a USB drive.

I did a clean install on my HTPC (not my main rig); booted from the DVD, formatted my drive, and installed. You will need to input your Win 8 key for a clean install.

I can confirm that this did work for me. I was able to do a fresh install on a new ssd by burning the ISO and booting the laptop from it. Very simple.

Phobic9

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2001
So I decided to give that a try. It seems like they don't really verify it, so you could you use a .. umm... quite liberal interpretation of what a computer is ;)

I entered my computer info as the motherboard I purchased from NewEgg earlier this month, and they accepted it.

I think the main thing it checks is the date. I was able to get a key for $15 for my laptop I bought in August.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
So when I tried activating windows entering the key, I get error "code 0xC0044fo61, the software licensing service has determined that this specified product can only be used for upgrading and not for clean installations."

Bummer. looks like I'll have to install xp first. Anyone know what will happen if I don't activate it? Everything else runs normal aside from the action msg to activate.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Ok, based on my inability to follow directions I may have some useful info:

If you buy the digital download of Windows 8, you are only going to be allowed to download 32 or 64 bit based on whether your OS is 32 or 64 bit (nothing new there, I know.) If you screw up and run the program on a machine with a 32bit OS, all is not lost. You can go back and download it again on a 64bit machine. In my case, I just had to go to my laptop with Win7 64, run the upgrade assistant, and it downloads Win8 64 which I can now install wherever I wish as long as I'm upgrading an eligible Windows OS.

If you don't have a system with a 64bit Win7 or Vista or XP, then you can't get the 64bit Win8...unless you run it from someone else's 64 bit machine. Remember, the upgrade assistant does not change the system you run it on, it just determines which Windows 8 you can download.

The same key is used to unlock the 32 or the 64 bit versions...so no way to cheat the system and get both versions.

Hope this helps.
So if I use my nieces Windows 7 64bit laptop to buy, run the upgrade assistant, download and then burn the 64 bit version of Windows 8 can I then upgrade my Windows XP home 32bit version with that dvd? Do you need to enter a key during the purchase or in other words would it accept my XP key while running her Win7 laptop?

Both machines are running legit OS's. I just want to get the upgrade for $40 like everyone else. I missed the Staples deal that Athena posted about.

MickeyBoy

Dec 27, 2001
silly question, but do they check the status of your current product code?

A while ago I downloaded the release preview software onto a virgin SSD. Friday I went to:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy?ocid=GA8_O_WOL_DIS_ShopHP_FPP_Light

and paid $39.99 to update to the full Win8 Pro version. I got a product key before the download. After the download I was offered the option to save as a .iso for burning to DVD, which I did.

At no time was I asked to supply a valid product key from an earlier version of Windows.

Very slick & convenient.

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yes, Balloon. I downloaded the 64bit version to upgrade Vista 32bit. The catch is that you have to run upgrade assistant on a 64bit machine, so it will determine that you need the 64bit upgrade. Once you do that and burn the DVD, you only need a qualifying operating system to upgrade irrespective of whether it is 32 or 64.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Yes, Balloon. I downloaded the 64bit version to upgrade Vista 32bit. The catch is that you have to run upgrade assistant on a 64bit machine, so it will determine that you need the 64bit upgrade. Once you do that and burn the DVD, you only need a qualifying operating system to upgrade irrespective of whether it is 32 or 64.
Thanks for your reply and time Rebel.

lsd

Golden Member
Sep 26, 2000

There is a thread on SD about this. I was able to upgrade my old w7 computers to w8 with the $15 promotion... I never had to enter any keys. From what I've read some people had to enter w7 keys.

mazeroth

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2006
I have an older Dell P4 that came with Windows XP. Would I be able to call MS, tell them I had to format and reinstall and install XP on my new machine. Then, do the upgrade instead of paying full price?

Rio Rebel

Oct 9, 1999
I have an older Dell P4 that came with Windows XP. Would I be able to call MS, tell them I had to format and reinstall and install XP on my new machine. Then, do the upgrade instead of paying full price?

You don't have to call. You can install the upgrade on whatever computer you want. The restrictions are two:
1. When you run the upgrade assistant, you will get the 32 or 64 bit version based on the OS where you run the assistant and download.
2. (After you dowload and create a Windows 8 disk) The computer where you install the upgrade needs to have a legitimate version of XP, Vista, or 7. It does not matter whether this is 32 or 64bit, just needs to be an upgradeable OS. Some people are reporting that you don't need the old Windows, others have said you do. The safe, known path is to have a legit XP, Vista, or 7 (32 OR 64) on the computer you are upgrading.

Rio Rebel

Oct 9, 1999
You're welcome, BalloonShark. If I can save one person from having to call their tier 1 "tech support", it's worth it. (lol) Took me three calls and a supervisor to find out this info that I could have done all along.

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
got my windows 8 pro upgrade key through the upgrade assistant. the same "trick" to use an upgrade key to do a clean install of windows 7 WITHOUT having windows installed on the hd/ssd first still works here on windows 8.

-went to regedit
-navigated to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/
-changed MediaBootInstall from 1 to 0
-ran cmd.exe, typed in slmgr /rearm, pressed enter, said the command was completed successfully
-restarted and voila!

yochillman

Oct 30, 2012
Hey all! I made this account just to explain my situation and ask this question. Despite reading this thread, I am still not sure.

I'm running legit Win XP 64 bit on my main system. When I try to run the Windows 8 upgrade assistant, I get a "This platform is not supported" error. So I cannot run it. Technically, WIN XP 64 is "SP1" ....

Now, I also have another system running a legit Win XP 32-bit (SP3 of course). From reading here I know that the Upgrade Assistant will determine which version of Windows 8 you can/will get. (32 or 64 bit)

So say I ran the upgrade assistant on my 32 bit Win XP system (with the intention of installing the purchase on my Windows XP 64-bit main system), would the upgrade assistant FORCE me to only be able to download the 32 bit version? Or will I always have the choice of getting either the 32 OR 64 bit ISO?

In another words, if I end up getting the upgrade version of Windows 8 through the deal, would I ultimately (despite the assistant not running on the intended system) be able to install the 64 bit version on my main system if I had to do it this way? I'm not worried about files etc. It basically comes down to wondering if Win XP *64 bit* is an eligible upgrade OS. This is NOT *clear* on the Microsoft site. :(

Or is my only option ordering the DVD?

Thanks in advance! ;)

lkailburn

Apr 8, 2006
At the moment kaspersky av 2012 is not compatible and my ati control center is having trouble but that might just need a reinstall I haven't had time to test. Other than that nothing on my work laptop had issues. Office(obv), quick books, Dropbox, MozyPro, etc all worked 100% after the upgrade. No issues with lost data either

In case anyone was wondering these are resolved. Reinstalling ATI stuff fixed that, and Kaspersky gave me(and I assume any 2012 license holder) a free upgrade to the 2013 product which is 8 compatible. At the moment I think i'm 100% back up and running

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
In another words, if I end up getting the upgrade version of Windows 8 through the deal, would I ultimately (despite the assistant not running on the intended system) be able to install the 64 bit version on my main system if I had to do it this way? I'm not worried about files etc. It basically comes down to wondering if Win XP *64 bit* is an eligible upgrade OS. This is NOT *clear* on the Microsoft site. :(

Or is my only option ordering the DVD?

Thanks in advance! ;)
If you run the installer on a 64bit system, then you can download and install 64bit win8 on any system you want.
In your case, since it won't run on your 64bit system, I would contact MS and tell them that. They should fix the issue.
BTW, there is supposed to be a update to the upgrade program, that will allow you to pick 32bit or 64bit, but there is no ETA besides before the end of the promo.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I just bought the upgrade. Do I have to do a clean installation? I just put 7 on here a few months ago and I finally have all my programs/apps just the way I like them. If I upgrade to 8 am I going to have to start over again?

Rio Rebel

Oct 9, 1999
Yochillman,

Everything I have read says you need Service Pack 3 of XP to qualify for the upgrade. I don't have XP 64bit, and I've heard there is no SP3 for XP 64bit, so you might want to contact Microsoft to see what you can do. Maybe the upgrade will work with the latest service pack for your OS (SP2?)