Windows 8.1 Update Now Available In Windows 8 Store

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

homebrew2ny

Jan 3, 2013
I'll have to check mine too. I upgraded last night but today I made an iso and clean installed. Don't have any drivers so im using the Intel hd ones for now. I don't think I saw the small e either. It's kind of hard to notice. Were you downloading something or loading another tab or page at the time ?

Well, I just checked windows update and it had an update for IE, installed it and now they are gone. IE also seems blazing fast now...

Go figure...?

But it was like that, as in the photo, constantly. While loading and afterwards.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Wow, I got 18 important updates waiting for me since this past couple of weeks if that. Does seem odd that they don't even link 8.1 to the store at least within the WU, guess it's not that important.
But my Windows Store just says "8.1 preview"...preview? I thought it was official already?

I wonder if you do a refresh or restore, if it goes to 8.1 or 8.0? I think I would just rather have an 8.1 oem iso and redo everything to avoid the bs.

Last edited:

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Wow, I got 18 important updates waiting for me since this past couple of weeks if that. Does seem odd that they don't even link 8.1 to the store at least within the WU, guess it's not that important.
But my Windows Store just says "8.1 preview"...preview? I thought it was official already?

I wonder if you do a refresh or restore, if it goes to 8.1 or 8.0? I think I would just rather have an 8.1 oem iso and redo everything to avoid the bs.

You must apply all updates to 8 before 8.1 will show up in the MS store.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I had to go to the windows site and search windows 8.1 and click download then it opened up in the store for me. But I think the store update was messed up. The next day after the install it said I had an evaluation copy.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Upgraded my third system to 8.1 and all is smooth. Only the IVB laptop left now. At this rate I might as well spend $120 and get a shiny official disc. Still zero issues, everything is still stable and there are tangible speed improvements, so can't really complain.

jkauff

Oct 4, 2012
My sound card does not work. Apparently drivers need to be specifically signed for Windows 8.1.
I don't think so. I got my ancient M-Audio Audiophile 192 board working using its Win 7 64-bit drivers. This was a clean install, however, and I installed the drivers once 8.1 was working.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Just finished upgrading my desktop using the store. Overall a pretty smooth experience. Had to manually remove a "Sentinel Runtime Driver" using the cmd line about half way through but nothing a little google-fu couldn't figure out.
I can't really say it's that much different than Win8. Maybe a little more customization which is cool but it feels the same to me.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
is there anyway to uninstall 8.1 without doing a full reinstall of 8?

Asking because it hosed my laptop. not MS fault its mostly Dells but apperently it breaks both the Intel HD4000 graphics drivers and the AMD drivers for the 7xxx series and swappable graphics and all that jaz

actually im not even sure how to wipe and reinstall on this thing it didnt come with a windows disk

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
is there anyway to uninstall 8.1 without doing a full reinstall of 8?

Asking because it hosed my laptop. not MS fault its mostly Dells but apperently it breaks both the Intel HD4000 graphics drivers and the AMD drivers for the 7xxx series and swappable graphics and all that jaz

actually im not even sure how to wipe and reinstall on this thing it didnt come with a windows disk

Does it boot into windows? if so I believe there is an option in the add/remove programs that says revert to previous windows.

If you dont have a disc, you can either use the recovery partition, if the update did not break it.

or you just have to get a windows 8 media as the key is embedded in the bios.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
yea it boots into windows, and i didn't see anything that listed Windows 8.1 plainly in the remove updates, but ill look again

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
yea it boots into windows, and i didn't see anything that listed Windows 8.1 plainly in the remove updates, but ill look again

Check my post #88 on here I got an iso of 8.1 by using both the windows 8 install program and the 8.1 installer program.

DarkKnightDude

Mar 10, 2011
Apparently SweetFX doesn't work with Win 8.1? Anyone confirm? ArmA 3 and Borderlands refused to launch with errors till I removed sweetfx.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
[redacted]

that is the RTM version which everyone thought it is going to be the final, but apparently Microsoft realized there are a few bugs, so they released 3 patches, and then changed the ISO and called it GA (General availability) which already includes those 3 updates

I prefer to have an ISO that includes all the updates so I downloaded the Windows 8.1 Pro GA ISO from the Windows 8.1 Setup box installer, the hashes will not match those on Microsoft's servers because each ISO is a created from scratch again after it is downloaded

Last edited by a moderator:

wpcoe

Nov 13, 2007
When I attempt to get the ISO via the WindowsSetupBox.exe route, after I enter a valid installation product key it proceeds to a screen saying it is going online to get more information, and after uploading/downloading a few seconds, goes to a screen that says "We cannot connect now. Check your Internet connection and try again."

Since I'm in Thailand, I thought maybe my location was an issue, so I signed on to a US-based (San Francisco) VPN, but the same result. I tried last night and again this afternoon.

I'm guessing that the I must have bad Win8.1 karma.

I'm awaiting a reply from Belkin e-mail support about Win8.1 drivers for the USB WiFi adapter that works in Win8 but not in Win8.1.

that is the RTM version which everyone thought it is going to be the final, but apparently Microsoft realized there are a few bugs, so they released 3 patches, and then changed the ISO and called it GA (General availability) which already includes those 3 updates

I prefer to have an ISO that includes all the updates so I downloaded the Windows 8.1 Pro GA ISO from the Windows 8.1 Setup box installer, the hashes will not match those on Microsoft's servers because each ISO is a created from scratch again after it is downloaded

If the RTM version is used for a clean install, are those three patches installed when Windows Update is run?

Last edited:

choliscott

Mar 11, 2010
Overall a pretty smooth upgrade from 8 to 8.1. The only issue I have is when I point the location to my IE favorites to another drive, they no longer show up under the menu, but they do show if I click on organize or click on the "star".

Switching it back to look at the C drive & rebooting fixes the problem.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
When I attempt to get the ISO via the WindowsSetupBox.exe route, after I enter a valid installation product key it proceeds to a screen saying it is going online to get more information, and after uploading/downloading a few seconds, goes to a screen that says "We cannot connect now. Check your Internet connection and try again."

Since I'm in Thailand, I thought maybe my location was an issue, so I signed on to a US-based (San Francisco) VPN, but the same result. I tried last night and again this afternoon.

I'm guessing that the I must have bad Win8.1 karma.

I'm awaiting a reply from Belkin e-mail support about Win8.1 drivers for the USB WiFi adapter that works in Win8 but not in Win8.1.

If the RTM version is used for a clean install, are those three patches installed when Windows Update is run?

It's based on your windows installation host location file. Usually saying it can't connect because of that or you are putting a wrong key. Most likely it's your location.

You can download the RTM and activate it with your win 8 key but RTM from august will be different than the latest RTM edition. They now call it GA for everyone pretty much.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
so if i pull my Windows key out of the bios i should be able to wipe and reinstalled from a Win8 Pro CD using that key correct?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
so if i pull my Windows key out of the bios i should be able to wipe and reinstalled from a Win8 Pro CD using that key correct?

Yea get a program that reads your bios and extracts the key. Then if you are in US download both win8 setup program and the win8.1 setup program. Start the win 8 setup enter your win 8 key. Then it will say estimating. Close out and open the win8.1 setup program. It will download the 8.1 iso. Use a flash drive at the end to make an install usb.

You will need a generic win8.1 key to install. You can Google for it based on what edition of 8.1 iso it downloaded. Once installed use the key from your bios you extracted to activate.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
i actually dont want to install 8.1
so ill only be doing the first part of that

i need to get rid of 8.1

i actually own a win8 pro copy. i got it when it was 40$ or whatever and its just been sitting on the shelf

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
i actually dont want to install 8.1
so ill only be doing the first part of that

i need to get rid of 8.1

i actually own a win8 pro copy. i got it when it was 40$ or whatever and its just been sitting on the shelf

Then just use the upgrade key once you download 8 and make a usb. They emailed us a key since I also bought it when it was 40 bucks.

wpcoe

Nov 13, 2007
It's based on your windows installation host location file. Usually saying it can't connect because of that or you are putting a wrong key. Most likely it's your location.

Not sure what a "windows installation host location file" is, but sounds like something on a Microsoft server which somehow knows that I'm in Thailand? Is there any way to update/alter it?

You can download the RTM and activate it with your win 8 key but RTM from august will be different than the latest RTM edition. They now call it GA for everyone pretty much.

Will Windows Update apply the patches which were added to the GA, but will be missing from the RTM version, if I install from a RTM .iso file and run Windows Update? i.e. Will install from RTM + run Windows Update = GA?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
The ga is a repack ok rtm with some built in changes so I'm not sure if Windows update would do that for you.

If you extract both win8 setup and the 8.1 setup using 7zip program, copy winprep.exe from win8 setup along with winsetup.exe, also copy convertctrl.dll to the win8.1 folder that you extracted. Replace existing files. Edit a file called convert.ini or something along that name. Change the host number to a uk or us host I think try 1958.0.

Save it, run command prompt as admin and cd to the win8.1setup program. Then start the installer from cmd prompt with / elevate silent added to the command. Try that and see if it works.

wpcoe

Nov 13, 2007
Now I'm convinced the Win8.1 gods are conspiring against me. I just booted my desktop computer to try again to reload the drivers for my USB WiFi modem. No go, so I shut down the computer. Shut it down via: <Win+x>,u,u. Windows shut down, and my computer powered down.

I'm now sitting on my bed on my notebook with view of my desktop computer. A "Blue Screen" just popped up for about five seconds -- remember, my computer was powered off -- and then the computer booted to the American Megatrends logo screen that preceeds BIOS, and it's sitting there.

Windows, after a routine shutdown, roused my computer out of a powered-off state to throw up a Blue Screen and reboot to hang before BIOS...

wpcoe

Nov 13, 2007
I want a keyboard shortcut. Win7 -> Start, Up, Enter. Also that menu is really ugly.

That's better than nothing though.

Were you looking for key presses that will lead to a shutdown? If so, try:

<Win+x>,u,u to shutdown
<Win+x>,u,r to restart
<Win+x>,u,i to log off
<Win+x>,u,s to sleep

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I just rightclick on desktop and select what shutdown I want using this registry file

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Shut Down]
"MUIVerb"="Shut Down"
"SubCommands"="restart;|;shutdown;|;sleep;hibernate;|;lock;logoff;switch"
"Icon"="shell32.dll,215"
"Position"="bottom"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\restart]
@="Restart"
"Icon"="comres.dll,4"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\restart\command]
@="Shutdown -r -f -t 00"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\shutdown]
@="Shut Down"
"Icon"="SyncCenter.dll,5"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\shutdown\command]
@="Shutdown -s -f -t 00"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\sleep]
@="Sleep"
"Icon"="powrprof.dll,2"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\sleep\command]
@="rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Sleep"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\switch]
@="Switch User"
"Icon"="imageres.dll,220"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\switch\command]
@="tsdiscon.exe"