Windows 8.1 Update Now Available In Windows 8 Store

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

techie81

Feb 11, 2008
I had to revert the ENABLELUA back to 1 because my system started freezing and throwing up errors in even viewer.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
I love the new Windows search. It's a handy tool to be able to just hit the Windows key and start typing and find anything on my computer or on the web :D

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I love the new Windows search. It's a handy tool to be able to just hit the Windows key and start typing and find anything on my computer or on the web :D

How can you default search to everything instead of files ?

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Apparently this is the default for all systems booting into UEFI with Secure Boot turned off. I have yet to see a way to turn off the message other than to enable Secure Boot. MS seems intent on nagging everyone into using it (which given the prevalence of rootkits and dumb users, I can't blame them).
Aha! A real solution to the Secure Boot message.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2902864

That KB will remove the message.:)

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
How can you default search to everything instead of files ?

It's already defaulted to search for everything. I'm not talking about the Windows key + F search. That defaults to files, and I don't know how to change it.

But if you just hit the Windows key alone and start typing, a search bar will automatically pop up and search for everything on your computer and on the web.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
It's already defaulted to search for everything. I'm not talking about the Windows key + F search. That defaults to files, and I don't know how to change it.

But if you just hit the Windows key alone and start typing, a search bar will automatically pop up and search for everything on your computer and on the web.

Ah thanks I was pressing windows key + f and then searching.

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
I meant clean install... Upgrades are for suckers :p You're just asking for it when you "upgrade."

Clean install is always best, even though it's more time consuming.

Call me a sucker then; a person that has with less time than you then, that has little to no problems with a pure upgrade option versus a clean install option.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Is it worth it to go from 7 Pro to 8.1 Pro for $70?

Depends how used to 7 you are. If you've got lots of stuff done with win7 and don't want to do a clean install then don't do it. If it's a full license for $70 bucks buy it and try it out.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
Well PC #4 failed to boot after 8.1 update, at least it restored back to 8 for me.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Depends how used to 7 you are. If you've got lots of stuff done with win7 and don't want to do a clean install then don't do it. If it's a full license for $70 bucks buy it and try it out.

I was able to get a free Win 8 key from a friend with DreamSpark. How much hard drive space does the OS take? I might just do a dual boot to play with.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I was able to get a free Win 8 key from a friend with DreamSpark. How much hard drive space does the OS take? I might just do a dual boot to play with.

Well try a dual boot or download virtual box or vmware player and do a virtual machine install to mess with. You don't need to activate it until you realize you like it.

Takes about 20-30gb of space for the install and some updates. From 8 you can follow methods described here way back on how to get an 8.1 iso and do a clean install when and if you want to.

Scooby Doo

Golden Member
Sep 1, 2006
Well that was one very LOOOONG update. Mine sat at 78% for ages and after the reboot applying settings 3%. Comodo needed to be updated, the default nvidia drivers were bad, Oblivion couldn't see the list of resolutions to run. Latest version fixed that. Argyll had to also be updated so it could see my Spyder monitor calibrator. Classic Start and 8gadget had to be updated, no biggie though. I'm hoping thats the last of the issues *crosses fingers*

Also when it came to make an online account it said there was an error and failed. It let me continue using my local account, LOL, which I intended to do anyways.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Wow please tell me that the force restart from Windows Update was fixed in 8.1 because that just completely fucked me over