Windows 10 - Desktop Icons Don't Like to go Where I Put Them

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Anyone else have an issue with desktop icons not liking to go where you put them? I am on the latest official build. Seems to have started with the Creators update, though I am not 100%

So far I have noticed this with two different computers using three different mice.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
It’s bad if you don’t have standard DPI. Windows always has lots of quirky stuff when DPI is set any way other than standard.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Is the movement occurring when they are placed at the screen margin or in the middle and what pattern shows ?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Standard dpi. For example, an icon might be in the second colum. I removed an icon and want to put my icon back in the first column (now that I have room). Usually takes two or three attempts to actually get it in the first column, and not pop over to the second. No patterns on the screen that I can see.

Last edited:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
It seems that if an Icon (as an Example) has to be placed on the margin it will not stay if it even slightly over the Margin line.

The trick is to slide very slow so it will not exceed the margin.

It so for a while, why the margin tolerance is not set with a value as it was before????

Just another reason to call the OS: Win 10 EB (EB stands for Eternal Beta).

:cool:

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
I asked about the margins because I too have noticed the displacement of icons placed there but not anywhere else. I can pile them up and rearrange them anywhere on the desktop but cannot place them closer than about 1 1/2 in from the screen limits using Jack's method .
I assume you like columns.
I have not selected view properties "auto arrange icons" or "arrange in a grid" and have no selection for "sort by". If only the bounce away from the margins is involved, then drag the icon slowly to its position.
Like Larry suggests, the margin reaction is recent and I think there must be a way to adjust it. Perhaps the issue is an artifact from the new Display Settings, allowing for "scaling of text, apps and other items". If the scale is customized, maybe the area at the margins is also affected.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Yeah, I have noticed this too, its especially bad from what I see on the left edge of the screen. Does not matter what resolution or dpi scaling

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Here is a discussion with a suggestion that Winaero may have a solution
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/64tfn7/desktop_icon_placing_bug_on_windows_10_creators/

I notice too that the bottom spacing parameter prevents placing an icon lower than the top of the Taskbar. (And I seem to recall that yo Task bar has been enlarged over Windows 8/7).While I cannot place icons right up against the sides, so there is some spacing at work at the sides, the icons do not fire off like they do on the bottom layer if placed too close to the margin.

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I am going to assume, since the OS has many more built-in scaling options and more types of devices to be compatible with, that there is a good reason for this problem. It's still a bit frustrating that I don't remember any other GUI MS OS ( and this is going back to 95) that had issues with something as simple as moving an icon.

jkauff

Oct 4, 2012
I highly recommend spending $7.49 on a copy of Stardock's Fences utility (sale price). It gives you complete control over your icons, and it works just fine on the Creator's Edition.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
How many desktop icons do you have? Perhaps you have to many and they are bumping into each other. That might explain why they are moving around your screen and not staying where you put them.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Nope Resize up and down. Same issue. There is blank space where an icon would go. It's more an annoyance than anything. At least it's not just me.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Hmmm interesting. Could you please answer my question. It won't help solve your problem but I really want to know.

Billb2

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2005
If you haven't already, right click a blank place on the desktop, choose view, then arrange to grid.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
They all get moved around every time there is a video driver update.
Really annoying.