Will Intel keep selling chips with poor thermal conductivity? (Coffee/Cannon)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinus

Mar 28, 2006
The response given last month was very discouraging, which suggests that Intel will not be making any changes to their thermal contact process or materials:

Re: Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?

Ronald_Intel May 2, 2017 7:30 AM (in response to BC93Key)
Hello Everyone,

We appreciate the feedback you have provided, and your patience as we investigated this behavior. The reported behavior of the 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor, showing momentary temperature changes from the idle temperature, is normal while completing a task (like opening a browser or an application or a program).

In our internal investigation, we did not observe temperature variation outside of the expected behavior and recommended specifications. For processor specifications, please refer to the Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor Product Specifications.

Most motherboard manufacturers offer customizable fan speed control settings that may allow for smoother transition of fan revolutions per minute (rpm). Please consult your motherboard manufacturer’s manual or website for instructions on how to change default fan speed control settings.

We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called “de-lidding”). These actions will void the processor warranty.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

Is it really possible they will do nothing about this, and try to sell their 3rd architecture on 14nm with huge flaws in heat dissipation?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Why the leading question for a title?
Have you stopped shoplifting?

I don't think Intel needs to solder anything or do anything different regarding TIM/IHS.
I'm entirely happy with all of my Intel (and AMD) chip purchases.

Also, I'm pretty sure the topic of Intel "not recommending overclocking" has been discussed here at length.

Reactions: Drazick and Burpo

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Why would they stop. Realistically the TIM they use works great at the speeds they are offering the system back. So unless they feel the need to close the clock margin between what they are clocking it at vs. the potential top end of the chip. I wouldn't expect them to change it. Maybe use a better substance if they can find one. But they made the move and have stuck with it for 4 years and it doesn't affect people running the CPU the way Intel sold it.

It's a hurt on enthusiasts. But think of it this way. The 7700 isn't an enthusiast chip. We treat it as though it is because $300 should be an upper end chip. But to Intel its just a high volume consumer chip. Where the annoyance of overclockers having to Delid isn't worth the increase in price and potential die cracking soldering may have on it years later. The fact that the TIM has swam upstream to the i9/X lineup should prove the point. They are already clocked higher then the competitor why should they worry about users not being able to get another 2-300MHz because they went with a TIM instead of solder.

I'll put it another way. I like that AMD is doing solder on their chips but they also clock them at near their relative cap. Doing that is probably a big reason why. But honestly I can't think of a time when OCing is as easy as it is now. This isn't even a walk up a hill 40 miles in 2 feet of snow moment. But it's hard to feel bad when the only thing you have to do to get better clocks is remove the HS, apply a new goop, apply the heat spreader, and everything else will run fine on a 33% OC.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
They hired a guy with a PhD in metallurgy, who worked with them for almost fifteen years to first help improve their soldering process and then develop a polymer-based TIM. He helped them save $30 million which means Intel easily recuperated the salary he was paid and all were happy.

Intel ain't going back to solder.

Reactions: Drazick

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
They found that being cheap is less costly and only affects enthusiasts whom they care little about.

Intel will keep cranking out chips in the consumer platform with poor thermal junctions for the foreseeable future.
FTFY :D

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
Really? Another troll post about this? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Machinus

Mar 28, 2006
Really? Another dimwit who doesn't know what trolling is?

Insulting other members is not allowed.
Markfw
Anandtech Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Really? Another dimwit who doesn't know what trolling is?
It comes off as a troll thread as a passive aggressive attempt to point out something everyone else already knows. They are sticking with TIM. End of story.

Machinus

Mar 28, 2006
It comes off as a troll thread as a passive aggressive attempt to point out something everyone else already knows. They are sticking with TIM. End of story.

Oh, you must work at Intel. What is your job title?

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
I agree somewhat a little but not always. As future years goes by, manufacturers are cutting costs on production as much as possible while increasing prices to boost profits, and the new Intel processors won't last as long (or less-reliability) than the old ones like Sandy Bridge that used to have higher-quality grade material.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
At least the FUD thread poster is honest that it's just flamebait and to spread FUD?

tou2PCC.png

Reactions: UsandThem
Status
Not open for further replies.