Will having to register your guns stand up in court?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
Liberal bloggers are comparing registering your gun to registering your car.

If you drive a car on a public road, then you have to register it, have it inspected, pay fuel tax, and keep insurance on it.

The difference between a car and a gun, ownership of firearms is a protected right. Driving a car on a public road is a privilege.

Poll taxes were struck down.

People do not have to register their bibles.

People do not have to register to have children. In fact, any crack whore can squeeze out as many kids as she wants, and the state has to support and provide for those children.

People do not have to register before opening a political blog.

You don't have to register to have children, but you do have to register the children.

Feb 10, 2000
There were 31,513 firearm related deaths in 2010 (17,352 of which were suicides), 75714 firearm related injuries, there are approximately 40,000 annual chainsaw related injury/deaths per year. Granted, there are probably a LOT more injuries than deaths from chainsaws, kind of hard to find any exact figures, or sources for recent figures. How many people carry, or even use, chainsaws on a daily basis compared to firearms?

I would be stunned if the number of chainsaw deaths was 100, much less anything larger. I expect the actual number is 10 or fewer (probably more like 1-2). Gun incidents are in fact among the 10 most common causes of death in the United States - I can't imagine chainsaw incidents are even in the top 1,000.

My only point was that it would take a complete imbecile to presume that there, or might possibly be, more chainsaw deaths than gun deaths in the US, then use that as the basis for any policy-related argument. Obviously many fewer people carry chainsaws on a daily basis than guns, though they are used by many people every day - in any case, that isn't anything piasabird's post dealt with.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
Well regulated may just apply to registration. 2a says you have the right to bear arms, it also implies that's a regulated right.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Well regulated may just apply to registration. 2a says you have the right to bear arms, it also implies that's a regulated right.

Well regulated - organized with accountability.
People shall be able to have firearms in order to support such.

Militias would have the heavy firepower, the populace provide the manpower and weapons.

Ensures that the government could not control the ability to defend ones self against the government.

And while automatic weapons/military grade equipment may be excessive, given the attempts of the government in intervening and adjusting private lives, it is not that much of a reach to expect every semi:legit method to be used to exert government control of our lives.

Last edited:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Liberal bloggers are comparing registering your gun to registering your car.

If you drive a car on a public road, then you have to register it, have it inspected, pay fuel tax, and keep insurance on it.

The difference between a car and a gun, ownership of firearms is a protected right. Driving a car on a public road is a privilege.

Poll taxes were struck down.

People do not have to register their bibles.

People do not have to register to have children. In fact, any crack whore can squeeze out as many kids as she wants, and the state has to support and provide for those children.

People do not have to register before opening a political blog.

You stupid or somethin? What the fuck do you think a social security number is?

And why would you have to register a book? Especially a fictional one?

And you kind of do have to register to open a political blog. Do you think you are anonymous on the intarwebs? :sneaky:

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Considering that we barely have the resources to enforce and prosecute existing firearms laws (maybe <5%), I don't see how we could enforce anything but a voluntary registration of firearms.

Oh, and all mine were destroyed in a BBQing accident.

Screech

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
Yep.
Also registering does not = taking away.

Just like you have free speech; but to protest/assemble you have to register and get a permit and that has been upheld.

Sure, you need a permit to do certain things, but simply opening your mouth in your own home does not require a permit. Ditto with having a vehicle on a farm.

I fail to see why this logic should not apply to firearms........permitting required if you want to carry around in public, ok, but not if you simply have one in your house.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Yep.
Also registering does not = taking away.

Just like you have free speech; but to protest/assemble you have to register and get a permit and that has been upheld.

I dont give a shit. it is none of the guberments or yours business what kind and how many guns i have.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Silly arguments. Registration is not an issue. It's immaterial if registration is required or imposed, whether it's thwarted or ignored. Your neighbors, your friends, will be turning you in for a reward. Your choice will be to surrender your firearms or fight to the death. Either way, your threat will be neutralized.

BrayD

Oct 12, 2012
Gun incidents are in fact among the 10 most common causes of death in the United States

Do you have a source for this? Its just kind of hard to believe when there is heart disease, diabetes, cancer, automobile deaths, alcohol/tobacco, etc. I have heard numerous numbers thrown around for gun deaths, but no where near the amount of deaths caused by some of the reasons I listed.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
fail.

pleases show me where in the SSN act that says a SSN is required.

Ever try to do the following...

get a job?
open a bank account?
get health insurance?
get credit?

shall I keep going??

BTW - what about selective service??

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Ever try to do the following...

get a job?
open a bank account?
get health insurance?
get credit?

shall I keep going??

BTW - what about selective service??

In other words, society has made the SSN mandatory.

Feb 10, 2000
Do you have a source for this? Its just kind of hard to believe when there is heart disease, diabetes, cancer, automobile deaths, alcohol/tobacco, etc. I have heard numerous numbers thrown around for gun deaths, but no where near the amount of deaths caused by some of the reasons I listed.

According to the Department of Justice's Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency prevention - at http://www.ojjdp.gov/pubs/gun_violence/sect01.html - gun deaths were the eighth leading cause of death in the US in 1996. Gun deaths have decreased on an annual basis since that time (though they have been increasing since 2000), and I can't find a clear source for this information based on more recent data. In total about 30,000 Americans are killed by guns per year, and yes, I'm confident that the chainsaw number is lower than that, probably by a magnitude of 10,000 or thereabouts.

Last edited:

BrayD

Oct 12, 2012
According to the Department of Justice's Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency prevention - at http://www.ojjdp.gov/pubs/gun_violence/sect01.html - gun deaths were the eighth leading cause of death in the US in 1996. Gun deaths have decreased on an annual basis since that time (though they have been increasing since 2000), and I can't find a clear source for this information based on more recent data. In total about 30,000 Americans are killed by guns per year, and yes, I'm confident that the chainsaw number is lower than that, probably by a magnitude of 10,000 or thereabouts.

Thanks for the source. And I do agree with you about the whole chainsaw thing, Its ludacris to think that chainsaw deaths are anywhere near gun deaths.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The communist state of Illinois is trying to pass a gun ban on assault weapons, with no press in the dark of the night.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
The communist state of Illinois is trying to pass a gun ban on assault weapons,

There is so much wrong with that law, I seriously doubt its going to go anywhere.

If it does pass, its probably going to be challenged right off the bat.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Too bad you aren't as vocal with people's right to vote as you are about guns.

Priorities I guess.

If you are a citizen and not a felon you have the right to vote. Seems pretty clear to me. Where do gun owners infringe on the rights of others to vote?

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Isn't that when it comes to assembling on public land?

If I want to assemble a bunch of people on private property, do I have to have a permit?

Do you have to have a permit to assemble a couple of hundred people at a wedding?

What about at a church, walmart, sears, best buy,,,, do companies have to have a permit for people to assemble there?

Lets say a local church goes down to the river for a public baptizing, does the church have to have a permit?

How will you get the gun home if not via a public road?