Will having to register your guns stand up in court?

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Liberal bloggers are comparing registering your gun to registering your car.

If you drive a car on a public road, then you have to register it, have it inspected, pay fuel tax, and keep insurance on it.

The difference between a car and a gun, ownership of firearms is a protected right. Driving a car on a public road is a privilege.

Poll taxes were struck down.

People do not have to register their bibles.

People do not have to register to have children. In fact, any crack whore can squeeze out as many kids as she wants, and the state has to support and provide for those children.

People do not have to register before opening a political blog.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
The difference between a car and a gun, ownership of firearms is a protected right. Driving a car on a public road is a privilege.

The difference is, they didn't have cars in the 18th Century.

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Its not a right, its a privilege and it can be revoked, and is, when necessary.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012

If you drive a car on a public road, then you have to register it, have it inspected, pay fuel tax, and keep insurance on it.

People do not have to register to have children. In fact, any crack whore can squeeze out as many kids as she wants, and the state has to support and provide for those children.

I like these ideas!

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
The difference is, they didn't have cars in the 18th Century.

Nor the internet, telephone, television, radio, computers, etc. so the 1st and 4th amendments need not apply to those.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Nor the internet, telephone, television, radio, computers, etc. so the 1st and 4th amendments need not apply to those.

Actually, in a vague way of saying it. The 1st amendment was to protect speech and media. By media in this time was more gossip and the occasional pamphlet, maybe some printed news. Whatever.

Internet is media
TV is media
radio is media
(and so on)

Thus 1st amendment still applies to these.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
If a well regulated militia is necessary than registering your guns is definitely legal.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I have no guns. Sold them all to some guy on Craig's list. No, I didn't get his name.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001

Actually a key difference I use is this.

You don't need to have a license or register a car to drive it. You only need to do this if you intend to use it on a public road or public property. For example if you owned a farm you could own a car that only was driven on the farm and you wouldn't need to register it and you wouldn't need to have a Driver License either to drive the vehicle. So usually when I hear someone use that argument I tell them that so you mean if I intend to use the weapon in a capacity in either open carry or concealed carry I need to get a permit and register the weapon? Sounds reasonable to me. However if I only intend to use the gun on private property I don't need to get a permit or register my firearm based on your auto example. At this point they usually get upset at me and tell me that I heard them wrong.

Last edited:

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
If I have to register my semi autos under NFA as if they were machine guns they might as will be converted to machine guns...

If not registering then under NFA makes me a felon with illegal weapons anyway, might as well be converted to machine guns.

See where this is going?

Now multiply by 300 million and have a nice day.

Last edited:

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Do you have to register your hunting knife and chain saw? Chain Saws probably kill more people than guns. Of course, 500 people were killed in Chicago in one year where they had a gun ban. The problem is not guns, it is the people with a total lack of morality.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
only if we're going to register and have publicly available all the medications someone is prescribed and using . . . .

ie no it's not anyones business what gun i do or do not have, the governments nor my neighbors

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Every US born is required to obtain a social security card.

All male citizens 18-25 must register with selective service.

These are forms of self-registration with the government and they do not infringe on the right of life, liberty, et-al.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If a well regulated militia is necessary than registering your guns is definitely legal.

How the hell do you expect the Rightists in here to strike down Tyranny without there "Well regulated Militia"? ():) Sounds like their Militia uses a lot of fiber. :D

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
Every US born is required to obtain a social security card.

All male citizens 18-25 must register with selective service.

These are forms of self-registration with the government and they do not infringe on the right of life, liberty, et-al.

Yep.
Also registering does not = taking away.

Just like you have free speech; but to protest/assemble you have to register and get a permit and that has been upheld.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
You have to register to vote and in some states you have to shows multiple forms of ID's. The right didn't have problems with that even though it wasnt needed and affected legal voters and didn't fix an issue they sought to solve.

So now we have a push for this that won't fix a problem and could place a burden on people so where do you righties stand now?

It's a tough one; do you stand by your principals and take it or are you a hypocrite?

Tough one indeed.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
registering doesn't mean they're taking them away NOW, just makes it easier when they want to take them away later

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Just like you have free speech; but to protest/assemble you have to register and get a permit and that has been upheld.

Isn't that when it comes to assembling on public land?

If I want to assemble a bunch of people on private property, do I have to have a permit?

Do you have to have a permit to assemble a couple of hundred people at a wedding?

What about at a church, walmart, sears, best buy,,,, do companies have to have a permit for people to assemble there?

Lets say a local church goes down to the river for a public baptizing, does the church have to have a permit?

Last edited: