Wikileaks releases Podesta's emails

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hillary did not respect the sanctity of secured or classified information. There is one government entity that monitors EVERY communication, at least they are capable of it. I don't think the Russians did it at all. I suspect these leaks are coming from inside the USA. There would be no hacking required. I don't think the NSA gets enough credit these days. :sunglasses:

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
I'm catching word in the comments over at LGF that the alt-right/Wikileaks conspiracy nuts are short circuiting. They think the NSA has taken over Wikileaks and one of the ultra-right nuts is demanding that Wikileaks sign something with their PGP public key to prove that it's really them. Sane speculation is that Assange can't access it or the net, thus he can't comply. The insane think something else:

Assange internet cut by external parties. Armed forces outside Equadorian embassy. CHEMICAL ATTACK (possibly staged, or government conspiracy) in airport at the same time [NOT REPORTED IN MAINSTREAM MEDIA; odd considering threat of terrorism, no?]. Wikileaks Reddit and Twitter (most likely) compromised. FBI/CIA now using social media to taint the name of Wikileaks. USA blames internet outages on Russia ahead of its planned cyber war on Russia.

I’d say we have strong (albeit circumstancial) evidence to believe Julian has been captured and taken into custody (in US) and is either being tortured, or is dead. We won’t find proof of this till after November 15th, when Clinton is elected US president.

This is war. #showusjulian

That's right people, don't trust Wikileaks!! :D

(*bolding not mine)

Feb 4, 2009
Hillary did not respect the sanctity of secured or classified information. There is one government entity that monitors EVERY communication, at least they are capable of it. I don't think the Russians did it at all. I suspect these leaks are coming from inside the USA. There would be no hacking required. I don't think the NSA gets enough credit these days. :sunglasses:

There is zero point zero evidence to support this theory.
Can I play too?
I believe Senator Cruze broke into the servers while the Dems were having lunch, he shared the info with Trump in an effort to become Dons VP pick.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

Judging by your posts lately, I'm guessing you've stopped taking your meds.

Looks like we lost another one to crazy.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
I think Hillary used too big of a cloth to wipe the servers and it broke the interwebs for Wikileaks.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Pretty bad when even TYT is on your case now, the only thing she can say is "they are stolen"....

DNC Head Grilled Over WikiLeaks, Promptly Crumbles
Secular Talk

Donna Brazile Angrily Snaps at Reporters when asked about Wikileaks
TYT Nation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BveshV9zKIw

Jordan On INFAMOUS Donna Brazile Dodge
TYT Politics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHyQtaqEYu8

There are so many now, no point linking the rest
WIKILEAKS 15 JUST RELEASED: Hillary Clinton's Ties to Russia, Support for Keystone, Cable Mergers
H. A. Goodman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUXHg2rK8FQ

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
The point you made in the other thread about Assange criticizing the Panama papers leak as a Putin smear was a good point, I agree that does hurt Assange's credibility as a true iconoclast. I hope that as government hacks in general gather more media attention and become a greater part of the usual news cycle, new vehicles for releasing leaks appear if it turns out that Assange is consciously burying info received on his buddies. It's difficult for me to understand a process where someone hacks Russia for political/non-financial purposes, finds some sweet info, gets rejected by Assange, and then sulks in quiet rather than leaking it through some other avenue (and there are plenty, some as simple as setting up a torrent and posting the magnet anonymously on /pol/). I still think the anti-American bias of the hacks can be explained at the hacking level (more Eastern European types engaged in that kind of business) without making it to the leaking level, and as I mentioned earlier, they did at least release documents indicating Russia's intent to take Crimea way back in 2006, but a lot has changed since then wrt Assange's image.

I didn't read most of the comments in the last few pages, but at this point it's pretty obvious that russia is using whatever remaining credibility wikileaks has to disseminate material helpful to russian (specifically putin's) interests. Reveling in this as Assange has is incredibly stupid because it burns bridges to people who are in any sort of position to help him, whether on principle or out of convenience.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Pretty bad when even TYT is on your case now, the only thing she can say is "they are stolen"....

DNC Head Grilled Over WikiLeaks, Promptly Crumbles
Secular Talk

Donna Brazile Angrily Snaps at Reporters when asked about Wikileaks
TYT Nation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BveshV9zKIw

Jordan On INFAMOUS Donna Brazile Dodge
TYT Politics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHyQtaqEYu8

There are so many now, no point linking the rest
WIKILEAKS 15 JUST RELEASED: Hillary Clinton's Ties to Russia, Support for Keystone, Cable Mergers
H. A. Goodman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUXHg2rK8FQ

Just btw, these sorts of posts are particularly worthless because people who care for these videos already have on their youtube feed, and everyone else just points and laughs at you.

Reactions: MongGrel

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I honestly don't give a fvck about the documents, Russia is running a op that is fooling morons in our country into thinking Wikileaks is some legit outlet that isn't politically allied with any government. IOW, you are cheering on a foreign government in the hacking and/or leaking information in an attempt to influence another election. If you don't live in America than go ahead and cheer them on.

If you are an American citizen that approves of Russia's actions then please proceed...
It's amusing that you condemn conservative Americans for loving Russia in the same message that you celebrate turning America into exactly that same kind of state, with secretive and unaccountable leaders.

Wikileaks has not been relevant in a very long time.

It's like watching Kim Kardashian trying to stay in the news.

Revelations are not found.

Or hints of Trumps tax returns, etc, eventually they will be released at the appropriate time.

"Fish On, we've hooked em"
I'm betting that long time began in January, 2009.

Exactly my point. I'm willing to accept that these hacks were performed by the Russian government and/or affiliates.

That doesn't sound like a horrible condemnation of Wikileaks tbh; they might receive anti-Russian hacks but are too fearful for their lives to leak them? Can't blame them for that.
You can blame them to the degree that it makes them a Russian tool.

You HAVE TO blame them to the degree that it makes them a Russian tool. If they can't stand the Russian heat, then they should exit the transparency kitchen. Otherwise they are simply making things worse with a one-sided, false image of transparency.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
It's amusing that you condemn conservative Americans for loving Russia in the same message that you celebrate turning America into exactly that same kind of state, with secretive and unaccountable leaders.

lol... weak tea and I'm not biting. Learn to comprehend what you read.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

It's not like the RNC & the Trump campaign are voluntarily releasing their own emails, is it?

It's quite remarkable how "because Hillary!" has become a generalized excuse for all kinds of logic pretzels among conservatives.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
It's not like the RNC & the Trump campaign are voluntarily releasing their own emails, is it?

It's quite remarkable how "because Hillary!" has become a generalized excuse for all kinds of logic pretzels among conservatives.
The only emails of legitimate public interest are the SoS ones she deleted beyond the grasp of FOIA accountability. Everything else since has been a slippery slope of gotcha politics. I don't condone the release of DNC or Podesta emails, although the revelations contained within are not surprising.

All of this was largely avoidable.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

This is some ridiculous bullshit, even for you. The DNC and Podesta are both private entities and their internal deliberations are not public documents, nor should they be as leaders should be held accountable for the actions they take in office. To say that in order to have accountable leaders that we need to have access to their private campaign emails is nuts, but if you actually believe that then I'm sure you will be advocating for the RNC and every Republican candidate to provide open public access to all of their campaign deliberations.

Annnnny day now I'm sure. ;)

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The only emails of legitimate public interest are the SoS ones she deleted beyond the grasp of FOIA accountability. Everything else since has been a slippery slope of gotcha politics. I don't condone the release of DNC or Podesta emails, although the revelations contained within are not surprising.

All of this was largely avoidable.

The right to privacy extends to govt employees just like everybody else. While it was obviously a huge mistake for Hillary to commingle personal & official emails, it really doesn't change that principle. She had the right to determine what's private & what's official & acted accordingly. It's what every cabinet level official has done since the dawn of the Republic wrt their official record. They just did it with paper instead of computers.

It's not like "Because Hillary!" makes it any different.

That's all over with, anyway, other than the finger pointing & the innuendo. It's just a way to look backward rather than forward.

Speaking of innuendo, perhaps you can specify the "revelations" found in the hacked emails.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
The right to privacy extends to govt employees just like everybody else. While it was obviously a huge mistake for Hillary to commingle personal & official emails, it really doesn't change that principle. She had the right to determine what's private & what's official & acted accordingly. It's what every cabinet level official has done since the dawn of the Republic wrt their official record. They just did it with paper instead of computers.

That's all over with, anyway, other than the finger pointing & the innuendo. It's just a way to look backward rather than forward.

Speaking of innuendo, perhaps you can specify the "revelations" found in the hacked emails.
This is the crux of the issue. As you said, throughout the entire history of this country it's always been the purview of the official to determine what communications are public and what are private. In previous administrations Secretaries of State or Defense or whatever have always been the ones to choose what communications that go through their office are considered public domain. However the GOP has decided that since they have no redeemable qualities themselves, it's more effective to try to attack and smear Hilary even if they have to bend, break, or ignore the concept of the truth.

Feb 4, 2009
You can blame them to the degree that it makes them a Russian tool.

You HAVE TO blame them to the degree that it makes them a Russian tool. If they can't stand the Russian heat, then they should exit the transparency kitchen. Otherwise they are simply making things worse with a one-sided, false image of transparency.

Smart!

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

Actually when the Bushies got caught occasionally doing what Hillary did 100%, the RNC voluntarily turned over its servers and all its backup tapes, so that the National Archives could recover all the emails and decide what constituted official records.

This is some ridiculous bullshit, even for you. The DNC and Podesta are both private entities and their internal deliberations are not public documents, nor should they be as leaders should be held accountable for the actions they take in office. To say that in order to have accountable leaders that we need to have access to their private campaign emails is nuts, but if you actually believe that then I'm sure you will be advocating for the RNC and every Republican candidate to provide open public access to all of their campaign deliberations.

Annnnny day now I'm sure. ;)
If this were the only time this has happened, you'd be correct, but you guys exhibited the exact same sentiments about Hillary's server when she was SecState. And those are official government documents.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Actually when the Bushies got caught occasionally doing what Hillary did 100%, the RNC voluntarily turned over its servers and all its backup tapes, so that the National Archives could recover all the emails and decide what constituted official records.

That was in compliance with the Presidential Records Act of 1978. That doesn't apply universally to the Executive branch.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
This is the crux of the issue. As you said, throughout the entire history of this country it's always been the purview of the official to determine what communications are public and what are private. In previous administrations Secretaries of State or Defense or whatever have always been the ones to choose what communications that go through their office are considered public domain. However the GOP has decided that since they have no redeemable qualities themselves, it's more effective to try to attack and smear Hilary even if they have to bend, break, or ignore the concept of the truth.
Perhaps you'd care to explain how the Republicans smeared Hillary by making her delete documents that were undeniably official government business, or produce others in edited form.

Thanks.

Very little in life is either all correct or all incorrect, and wikileaks, while serving a purpose, is not even close to above approach. By it's very nature it involves breaking the law and airing our collective dirty laundry, and while this serves a very valuable purpose in keeping government accountable, it also means that it is inherently information provided by shady characters under cloak of anonymity.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
That was in compliance with the Presidential Records Act of 1978. That doesn't apply universally to the Executive branch.
What luck that this is the only law regarding document handling and preservation!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
If this were the only time this has happened, you'd be correct, but you guys exhibited the exact same sentiments about Hillary's server when she was SecState. And those are official government documents.

We sure didn't! Official government documents should be made public in accordance with transparency laws. I personally think those transparency laws need to be made stronger as we keep too much secret. That in no way means that something should be public just because it is an official document.

That's besides the point here though, which is that all of the communications at the DNC and of Podesta's were private and you condemned him for saying they should have remained so as if that was leading on an unaccountable government. It's bullshit.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
What luck that this is the only law regarding document handling and preservation!

And what great misfortune for you & your team that no indictments will be issued.

The whole thing is becoming reminiscent of Monty Python's dead parrot sketch.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005

So long as there are leaks this topic will not move forward.

No one is questioning the right of government employees to manage personal emails on a personal email account. It was more than an honest mistake to manage official business on a personal email completely outside of FOIA oversight.

The revelations for me is just how closely a political operation mirrors corporate America. Clueless executives far removed from the daily realities of employees that rely on an infinite number of task forces and subcommittees to help drive decions, with an army of surrogates all jockeying for position and influence, with some driven by questionable ethical intent.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
So long as there are leaks this topic will not move forward.

No one is questioning the right of government employees to manage personal emails on a personal email account. It was more than an honest mistake to manage official business on a personal email completely outside of FOIA oversight.

The revelations for me is just how closely a political operation mirrors corporate America. Clueless executives far removed from the daily realities of employees that rely on an infinite number of task forces and subcommittees to help drive decions, with an army of surrogates all jockeying for position and influence, with some driven by questionable ethical intent.

Where the emails reside is irrelevant to who and what get deemed business or personal (before the rules were changed). That's a point you still don't seem to understand.