Wikileaks releases Podesta's emails

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Haven't followed the thread once all the usual suspects arrived putting their typical denial on display but if anyone is interested in reading the emails, I have found them here. Not sure if this is all of them from the perspective that the releases keep coming. They are categorized and there is a brief synopsis.

http://www.vaskal.ca/podestafiles

If somebody else already posted this then deal with it.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Haven't followed the thread once all the usual suspects arrived putting their typical denial on display but if anyone is interested in reading the emails, I have found them here. Not sure if this is all of them from the perspective that the releases keep coming. They are categorized and there is a brief synopsis.

http://www.vaskal.ca/podestafiles

If somebody else already posted this then deal with it.

interesting. A Canadian domain with nothing other than the email leaks and link to reddit the donald.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Good job! Attack the source. Ever popular with those of a certain mindset.

Congrats?

Where in my post is the attack? I tried looking up who is but is has been set to private, registered by godaddy.com and not .ca

You don't think that is interesting? BTW, .ca domains are supposed to be reserved to Canadians.

I am not discounting the possibility it is a Canadian doing this, but the website has no other content whatsoever.

PS not a fan of Hilary either. But at least she knows what she is doing.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Where in my post is the attack? I tried looking up who is but is has been set to private, registered by godaddy.com and not .ca

You don't think that is interesting? BTW, .ca domains are supposed to be reserved to Canadians.

I am not discounting the possibility it is a Canadian doing this, but the website has no other content whatsoever.

It conceals the source & financing of all the work that went into winnowing 30K emails into what really is politicking. It's clearly an organized effort of indeterminate origin. Boomerang didn't just stumble onto the site, nor did anybody else.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000

Well if I am mistaken then please accept my apologies.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Good job! Attack the source. Ever popular with those of a certain mindset.

Congrats?
I think boomerang might have never gotten the catching the thing down well sometime in the past :)

Speculation on my part I suppose.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
That's fair enough and probably true, but there's still a major distinction to be made between that and a claim that Wikileaks is just a propaganda arm for Russia.
Well, they've been ignoring Republicans and Trump for the most part, you can't tell me they can't find any dirt on Republicans. They're not trying for some reason.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Well, they've been ignoring Republicans and Trump for the most part, you can't tell me they can't find any dirt on Republicans. They're not trying for some reason.

Why can't I tell you that? They leaked Palin's emails back in 2008. They leaked stuff on Guantanamo a year earlier (when Obama was running on a platform of shutting it down). It just so happens that Democrats have controlled the executive branch for the last eight years and so there is more juicy stuff there. Additionally, the relative connection between the leaks (e.g. DNC and Podesta) could be a consequence of a domino effect where access to one email server makes it easier to go after others.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
That's fair enough and probably true, but there's still a major distinction to be made between that and a claim that Wikileaks is just a propaganda arm for Russia.

Out of curiosity, when has wikileaks ever published anything damaging or embarrassing to Russia or Putin? The Panama papers did, but that wasn't wikileaks, was it? In fact, Assange criticized it as a CIA plot to discredit Putin. Funny thing, wikileaks always seems to have information damaging to the US, but never to Russia.

I don't know if wikileaks is literally a "propaganda arm for Russia." But it's quite obvious they are aligned.

Wikileaks has nothing to do with transparency. It's all about Assange's personal predilections, which countries he likes and doesn't like, which politicians he favors or doesn't favor. It's a totally corrupt enterprise.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Out of curiosity, when has wikileaks ever published anything damaging or embarrassing to Russia or Putin? The Panama papers did, but that wasn't wikileaks, was it? In fact, Assange criticized it as a CIA plot to discredit Putin. Funny thing, wikileaks always seems to have information damaging to the US, but never to Russia.

I don't know if wikileaks is literally a "propaganda arm for Russia." But it's quite obvious they are aligned.

Wikileaks has nothing to do with transparency. It's all about Assange's personal predilections, which countries he likes and doesn't like, which politicians he favors or doesn't favor. It's a totally corrupt enterprise.

The point you made in the other thread about Assange criticizing the Panama papers leak as a Putin smear was a good point, I agree that does hurt Assange's credibility as a true iconoclast. I hope that as government hacks in general gather more media attention and become a greater part of the usual news cycle, new vehicles for releasing leaks appear if it turns out that Assange is consciously burying info received on his buddies. It's difficult for me to understand a process where someone hacks Russia for political/non-financial purposes, finds some sweet info, gets rejected by Assange, and then sulks in quiet rather than leaking it through some other avenue (and there are plenty, some as simple as setting up a torrent and posting the magnet anonymously on /pol/). I still think the anti-American bias of the hacks can be explained at the hacking level (more Eastern European types engaged in that kind of business) without making it to the leaking level, and as I mentioned earlier, they did at least release documents indicating Russia's intent to take Crimea way back in 2006, but a lot has changed since then wrt Assange's image.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
I still think the anti-American bias of the hacks can be explained at the hacking level

And Russia is known for the prowess of its hackers, both free agents and agents of the government. Regarding Wikileaks leaking information that would embarrass Putin, history has shown that people who piss off Putin end up doing things like sipping tea with polonium in it.

I'm interested to see if you ever reach a point where you stop making up excuses for Wikileaks.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
And Russia is known for the prowess of its hackers, both free agents and agents of the government.

Exactly my point. I'm willing to accept that these hacks were performed by the Russian government and/or affiliates.

Regarding Wikileaks leaking information that would embarrass Putin, history has shown that people who piss off Putin end up doing things like sipping tea with polonium in it.

I'm interested to see if you ever reach a point where you stop making up excuses for Wikileaks.

That doesn't sound like a horrible condemnation of Wikileaks tbh; they might receive anti-Russian hacks but are too fearful for their lives to leak them? Can't blame them for that.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Exactly my point. I'm willing to accept that these hacks were performed by the Russian government and/or affiliates.

That doesn't sound like a horrible condemnation of Wikileaks tbh; they might receive anti-Russian hacks but are too fearful for their lives to leak them? Can't blame them for that.

Yeah, holing up in an embassy is a lot better than being dead. Either way, it doesn't change the facts that Assange/Wikileaks and the Russians have a cozy relationship and their target is causing chaos in our country. Information is coming from Russian hackers and we can guess that this is happening with the approval of the Russian government. After all, as long as we are going to be making assumptions... ;)

But I'm sure that you'll find something positive in their attacking our electoral process. right?

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Do you think the hacks coming from the Russian (or any other) government is the most important thing? Meaning, for example, if it was a lone-wolf like Assange himself that orchestrated the hacks (assuming that could somehow be proven with confidence) because he wanted to screw with the electoral process for the sake of making America a worse place, would that make it better to you?

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Do you think the hacks coming from the Russian (or any other) government is the most important thing? Meaning, for example, if it was a lone-wolf like Assange himself that orchestrated the hacks (assuming that could somehow be proven with confidence) because he wanted to screw with the electoral process for the sake of making America a worse place, would that make it better to you?

While I would be against anyone hacking into and screwing with our electoral process, it's the fact that Russia is attempting to pretty much openly influence our election via a proxy, Wikileaks. Russia would benefit from a weakened United States, which it definitely would be with Trump in control. But would it make it better for me if it was a sole person, Assange for example, who orchestrated this attack on our electoral process?

No.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
What if it wasn't a hack at all, but still involved the timed release of sensitive, damaging information with the primary intent of affecting our election?

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Nope, enough questions for me... I'm not getting sucked into it. I already get where you are coming from on several subjects and I know that you are a waste of my time.

Later... :)