Wii Online

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
USA Today Talks Wii

Q: A few years ago, Nintendo made a conscious decision to lie low when Microsoft introduced Xbox Live and began promoting its subscription online gaming service. In retrospect, does that look like a good decision?

A: I wasn't here. What I can tell you is the way we've approached online play now is really with a view to the masses. With Nintendo DS (a dual-screen handheld player), for example, we offer free Internet play in a wide-ranging series of games. Our focus is getting as many consumers to enjoy that online experience as possible. And we've done that.

Q: You're not pursuing a subscription model?

A: We view online gaming as essentially an enhanced way to enjoy the gaming experience and drive more sales of hardware and software.

Q: How do you extend your online strategy to Wii?

A: It's the same premise. We will offer online-enabled games that the consumers will not have to pay a subscription fee for. They'll be able to enjoy that right out of the box. The Wii console is going to be Wi-Fi enabled, so essentially, you'll be able to plug it in and go. It won't have hidden fees or costs.

I guess this could mean that only certain games will be free. It can be read either way but I'm pretty sure there will be no subscription based fees for playing the Wii games online. Score another one for Nintendo in this generation of systems.

Yanagi

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2004
Nintendo might not charge for online services but the game developers most likely will

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
They can offer it for free because they are using the same matchmaking service that they use with the DS - Friend Codes. Scaled down and cheaper to implement compared to Xbox Live.

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269

I guess this could mean that only certain games will be free. It can be read either way but I'm pretty sure there will be no subscription based fees for playing the Wii games online. Score another one for Nintendo in this generation of systems.

Not necessarily. The service could be "degraded" or lack the same content delivery (demos, videos, stat tracking, etc...) that a pay service like Live provides. Free != better

But that said, I plan on buying a Wii. I'm just not banking on the quality of the online service yet.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
very cool. It'll most likely follow the nintendo DS's online play model. HOPEFULLY they can have some sort of chat feature that is nonexistent in the DS games. Most likely, the majority of the franchise games will be online. Imagine Mario Kart, Fzero....SMASH BRO's!!! online!! :Q :Q

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Nintendo is the last great console innovator. Not that it's always a good thing to try something crazy, but with their track record I'm betting dollars to doughnuts that the Wii will be, frankly, an awesome social gaming console.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
thats why I love nintendo but hate sony

death to sony

though I kinda like my psp

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005
Awesome! It used to be Nintendo lacking good online play...now it's going to be the others. Nintendo strikes back with affordable systems and better online play!

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I would rather pay $50/yr on a service fee that would incorporate global features as xbox live does than have an online model like the Nintendo DS has.

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005
Originally posted by: purbeast0
I would rather pay $50/yr on a service fee that would incorporate global features as xbox live does than have an online model like the Nintendo DS has.

PC's don't have that crap.

Edit: Neither does the DS. People want to play games, not have a bunch of added crap they will never use. Well, maybe casual trendy gamers will like the xbox live crap.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: BlancoNino

Edit: Neither does the DS. People want to play games, not have a bunch of added crap they will never use. Well, maybe casual trendy gamers will like the xbox live crap.

and ... wtf did my comment have to do with PC gaming? :confused:

EDIT: also you are saying a bunch of people dont want a global friends list, voice chat a must in every game, demos of future release game coming out, and preview videos of upcoming games?

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001

Edit: Neither does the DS. People want to play games, not have a bunch of added crap they will never use. Well, maybe casual trendy gamers will like the xbox live crap.[/

So? If you don't like that stuff then maybe the Wii online plans are right up your alley. But that hardly applies to everyone.

About the DS... yeah, look how disjointed that service is. Instead of gamer tags you get convoluted "friend codes"... and each game is different. Sorry, that's hardly ideal.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Awesome! It used to be Nintendo lacking good online play...now it's going to be the others. Nintendo strikes back with affordable systems and better online play!

Don't jump the gun there too much sparky. The 360 online play has been solid with a couple of exceptions. We know nothing about how either the PS3 or Wii will perform online at this point.

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005
and ... wtf did my comment have to do with PC gaming? :confused:

I'm saying look at how well online gaming works for PC. It's clear that people don't need that kind of stuff.

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Queasy

Don't jump the gun there too much sparky. The 360 online play has been solid with a couple of exceptions. We know nothing about how either the PS3 or Wii will perform online at this point.

Online play = online play. As long as it isn't laggy, and there is support, it's going to be good. If it's free, that makes it "better".

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003

Don't get me wrong, I love the Xbox Live service, but I also have to wonder how much profit is involved in that service. You don't have the option of a dumbed down version of Xbox Live that will allow you to play online for free all the time without access to all of the extras. That is my main problem with XBL.

Now, this is assuming that I have not misread XBL silver....