Wife says keep my 670

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Xarick

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
PNY is a reference cooler with reference speeds. It is always IMHO worth it to spend extra on aftermarket cooler. I also like Factory overclocked cards.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
PNY is a reference cooler with reference speeds. It is always IMHO worth it to spend extra on aftermarket cooler. I also like Factory overclocked cards.

Not necessarily. The only voltage unlocked 7970s you can get now are reference ones, and the 7950s look to be heading that way, too.

I still kind of disagree comparing the $330 Galaxy 670 to a $270 Sapphire 7950. I think the better comparison would be the $300 WF3 7950, which makes it more of a closer comparison in price.

Xarick

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
I agree with you eureka. The galaxy I got is pretty high quality. Metal shroud, factory OC. You always pay a premium for those things.

ocre

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2008
As for the 680, the 7970ghz offers a better bang for the buck, if your value orientated and love saving money. All that but then there is the bundles.
The bundles can really tip the scale, especially if your planning on buying one of the bundled games and your also in need of a GPU to go with it. For those consumers AMD has got what you need.

But it isnt the ending there. These bundle games can be bought for cheap when people buy the cards but dont like the games!

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
I think bang for the buck is a tired argument. It's what you say when you have no other standing argument. I don't necessarily shop for just bang for the buck, I need to look at the overall needs.

You can get a cheap 680 for $400 or a cheap 7970 for $350. $50 is immaterial if the 680 has something the 7970 doesn't. However, the 7970 is just a faster card, which is why it's worth recommending. For something I'm going to use at least once a week for the next 2 year, $50 is nothing (a night out on the town is already more than that). As a working adult, I care more for what the item gives me than rather what I have to pay for it, as long as it's within a reasonable budget (I wouldn't splurge on a Titan over a 7970...).

However, there are reasons to still pick Nvidia. The smaller power consumption and TDP makes it a better choice for mITX. If I were to build a shoebox case right now, I'd rather go with a 680 over a 7970. Likewise with the 690/Titan over a 7990, even if the pure performance is better.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
I think bang for the buck is a tired argument. It's what you say when you have no other standing argument. I don't necessarily shop for just bang for the buck, I need to look at the overall needs.

You can get a cheap 680 for $400 or a cheap 7970 for $350. $50 is immaterial if the 680 has something the 7970 doesn't. However, the 7970 is just a faster card, which is why it's worth recommending. For something I'm going to use at least once a week for the next 2 year, $50 is nothing (a night out on the town is already more than that). As a working adult, I care more for what the item gives me than rather what I have to pay for it, as long as it's within a reasonable budget (I wouldn't splurge on a Titan over a 7970...).

However, there are reasons to still pick Nvidia. The smaller power consumption and TDP makes it a better choice for mITX. If I were to build a shoebox case right now, I'd rather go with a 680 over a 7970. Likewise with the 690/Titan over a 7990, even if the pure performance is better.

Some people spend a $1000 in a night out and others have $100 for expenses per week.

Bang/buck is about getting the most in your budget.

Wall Street

Mar 28, 2012

Then why aren't you using a 3770k with HD 7970 Ghz instead of a 3570k with HD 7950? Or for that matter, why not a Titan with 3970x? Price has to count for something.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Then why aren't you using a 3770k with HD 7970 Ghz instead of a 3570k with HD 7950? Or for that matter, why not a Titan with 3970x? Price has to count for something.

I see what you're saying, yes there is a point, but the difference is that the Titan is 2x the cost of anything else. The bickering for "price/perf" is over $20-50... a 7950 is not half the price of a 670. It's within 10% the price.

Between a 3570K and a 3770K, there is almost no benefit at all.

And between a 7970 and a 7950... I'm actually thinking of replacing my 7950 with a 7970 or a 680 again... I got the 7950 to play with, and now I wan to play with something else.

Xarick

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
I wish I was rich like you guys.. but the $60 diff was a serious consideration.
FYI for those who say the bundle is a big diff. I have already been offered $40 for two parts of the bundle and the 3rd can get $15... so sales wise it is a wash.

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
FYI for those who say the bundle is a big diff. I have already been offered $40 for two parts of the bundle and the 3rd can get $15... so sales wise it is a wash.

Some people forget that sometimes every penny counts.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005

Is for the F2P bundle? If so, that's crazy... the AMD bundles are going for around $50-60.

I wouldn't call myself rich, but this is a hobby I take seriously, and so it's worthwhile. I don't know of any other real hobby where $60 would get you far. If you went paintballing, for example, gas and ammo would run you that much for a single day.

Rock climbing and snowboarding, for example, can also cost that much.

It's a pretty cheap hobby and I don't want to spend it nitpicking the "price/perf" over $50.

I hate to say it, but if you're on a tight budget... most hobbies aren't a good investment, not even PC building. In fact, for the budget builder, I think the 660/7870 are much better choices, you get most of the performance for 2/3rds the price. When talking 7950s,7970s, 670s... different game.

Last edited:

Xarick

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
That is true. I think I have spent $150 bucks setting up a simple 20gallon long fish tank.. and I already had the tank and filter.

Yes for the ftp bundle.. so $55 vs $60.
$5...
If you want the games and want Nvidia... sell one and buy the other.
Works for me because I want Bioshock and that was a consideration.. and those are selling for $30..

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Oh, I read that wrong. I thought someone was offering $40 each for two parts of the bundle...

If you want the games, just buy them off ebay.... I remember when AC3 came out it was selling for $30 on ebay because of the oversaturation, and by late December (I think), it was $10 a key.

Xarick

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
I was just pointing out it was a wash because so many seem upset at Nvidias bundle.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
I was just pointing out it was a wash because so many seem upset at Nvidias bundle.

It's the AMD horde thinking their bundle is untouchable. I've bought a number of cards in this generation, and I've gotten equal bundle savings from both sides. :/

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Is for the F2P bundle? If so, that's crazy... the AMD bundles are going for around $50-60.

I wouldn't call myself rich, but this is a hobby I take seriously, and so it's worthwhile. I don't know of any other real hobby where $60 would get you far. If you went paintballing, for example, gas and ammo would run you that much for a single day.

Rock climbing and snowboarding, for example, can also cost that much.

It's a pretty cheap hobby and I don't want to spend it nitpicking the "price/perf" over $50.

I hate to say it, but if you're on a tight budget... most hobbies aren't a good investment, not even PC building. In fact, for the budget builder, I think the 660/7870 are much better choices, you get most of the performance for 2/3rds the price. When talking 7950s,7970s, 670s... different game.

You have to remember for some people the hobby is building a PC to play their PC games that are the main hobby.

slayernine

Jul 23, 2007
slayernine.com
For $60 bucks, it's not worth it. I have an ASUS 670 DCII and an MSI 7970. Both are great cards, but the difference between them isn't eye popping. Yes the 7970 is faster, and sure the 7950 might win a few here and there over the 670, but I like them both the same. Keep the 670. I think its great card. Just my 2 cents.

I concur, ASUS 670 DCII is the shit. I love the one I have.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
You have to remember for some people the hobby is building a PC to play their PC games that are the main hobby.

Honestly, I think that's Nvidia's target. No need to overclock, better driver support (or image of driver support, and bigger community support. Get the best card in your budget, pop it in, call it a day.

None of this, "my card can overclock to X" business.

AMD seems to be more favored by hobbyists. I mean, we're the ones nitpicking about the tiny differences.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The one thing nobody seems to bring up is desktop speed. This card was worth it just for that. Games shut down 100x faster. firefox runs 100x faster. I am just shocked at how much faster stuff on the desktop runs. I was floored by that. Things open and close faster, videos load and run faster... incredible.

That shouldn't be. There shouldn't be very much difference in terms of app loading speed, nor in 2D graphics. Unless you were having driver issues before or something.