Wife says keep my 670

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bluesquare07

Mar 10, 2013
basically this is the point. To send it back, buy another card, is another week or so without a card, to get a minimal improvement at best. A $60 difference for the sapphire (downgrade in quality, imo), or $30 for a tf3/wf3, isn't worth the time and effort, unless he really wants that 7950.

For me i did it because my 670 was reference while i got the quieter cooler with my wf3, and my 670 was giving me graphical issues.

I still don't notice the difference between the two. Except the 7950 has coil whine, as did my 7970, while the 660 and the 670 never gave me any.

also, i never understood the whole, when it ocs it passes x. Of course it does. The 670 ocs to faster than the 680, the 7950 ocs to pass the 7970. Guess what. The 680 ocs even higher, and so does the 7970.

exactly!

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
There is no way your 670 was giving you graphical issues, Nvidia is perfection.

I think cards from both camps are pretty bad this time around. My 7970 gave me issues (this was back in 2012), my 670 gave me issues (flickering shadows, late 2012)... my 7950 is alright but I think it's because it's such a late buy at this point (got it in Feb 2013).

I'm actually thinking of buying a 7970 again... someone is selling a Diamond 7970 that clocks to 1300 on 1.175V.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
I think cards from both camps are pretty bad this time around. My 7970 gave me issues (this was back in 2012), my 670 gave me issues (flickering shadows, late 2012)... my 7950 is alright but I think it's because it's such a late buy at this point (got it in Feb 2013).

I'm actually thinking of buying a 7970 again... someone is selling a Diamond 7970 that clocks to 1300 on 1.175V.

Good cards, bad cards, good drivers, bad drivers. There will ALWAYS be issues no matter whose cards people buy.

Xarick

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
Alright.. enough fighting.

Here is my thoughts after staying up until 3am playing with this card.

First the default clock is 1006 and it boosts to 1175 (with me doing nothing more than playing games). I am pretty happy with that and will not push it any further. That puts me in 680 territory and considering I only paid $338 that seems like a really good deal. I know that with my old cards I will only OC using the default software so in CCC I only used it's default OC function and that was enough for me. This card seems more than fast enough for 1080.
There is definitely a color difference between the two. My 5850 had nicer of the box desktop color.. however in some games you could tell it was a bit too much.. I never dialed it down though. Nvidias colors seems a bit more accurate, but with less vibrance (yes I dialed up digital vibrance on the desktop). I found dialing down my monitors brightness closed the gap between the two. But I like the color a bit better here as things in dark areas don't look quite as blacked out. Neither is better than the other.
I do owe AMD some credit. I thought they had more driver problems then they actually do. Some games I thought were AMD issues are present on Nvidia.. showing me it is a game issue. However, some games show less issue and visa versa. I find some older games I was crashing on I don't now, but I also find another at least I wasn't that I do.
Granted I haven't tried any of these since I upped to Win 8 so that could explain both, but I suspect that AMD just wasn't ever as bad as I thought.
That being said. Catalyst control center is just worse than Nvidias. Right click and select nvidia control panel and POP it's there in seconds. Easy to adjust things.. easy to find things. NICE. Catalyst control center opens slow.. Every time I updated it I had issues installing it or removing it thought that might be a win 8 issue. But mostly it is more cumbersome to navigate, runs worse.
Gaming.. The one thing I am not liking about this card is aliasing.. it seems much worse here. Now I don't know if this is because all my settings are cranked, but jaggies seem more pronounced. I realize I can turn on AA, but I haven't due to the 5850 not having enough. However, gaming is so insanely fast I had to turn down mouse settings. Honestly I thought BF3 was slower paced than it actually is. Some games don't seem to run much better.. like borderlands 2, which ran just fine on my 5850, but seems less smooth here... however I haven't played with the settings which the game cranked.
As far as IQ goes I actually thought it was worse at first because I was playing BF3 and it looked soft. But it turns out the BF3 engine cranked FXAA and other settings on me due to a faster card. I turned that off.. I don't need AA on a game that runs 100mph. Standing in one place looking at jaggies makes you dead.
The card itself is OK. I had a powercolor pcs+ and I don't care what you guys say about them they make one of hell of a nice card. Copper piping, caps on all ports, very quiet fan. It got up into the 70s only during benchmarking. Galaxys card is metal with plastic fans. Really nice Heatsink. Card is smaller than my 5850 and slimmer which is a real plus in my antec 300.
This card gets warm. I ran heaven for 10 minutes on extreme and it settled at 75. This is a tad annoying, but totally Galaxies fault. They have a default fan profile that keeps the card quiet over temp. So the card runs 30%idle... 40% load... yeah.. seriously. I manually pumped the fan to 50% and it is still inaudbile, but temps came down to 64. I then upped it to 60% where the fans become audible, but not annoying and it dropped me to 58c. So.. galaxy..please don't do that. It is dumb.
If I take my front filter off the temps drop, but apparently every spec of dust in my house goes straight for my computer. I had my filter off for a while and just finished an hour of cleaning dust out (before putting my card in).

Now.. my specs are:
p5qse 6gigs ddr2800 q9550e @3.4
So in the summer I will upgrade those and should help remove that bottle neck.

The one thing nobody seems to bring up is desktop speed. This card was worth it just for that. Games shut down 100x faster. firefox runs 100x faster. I am just shocked at how much faster stuff on the desktop runs. I was floored by that. Things open and close faster, videos load and run faster... incredible.

So.. in the end.. is it worth the premium over the 7950. No. Am I sorry I paid it, no.. I like that I am trying the other side again. I switched sides every upgrade so far. I will probably continue.

On the plus side I have already sold my 5850 for $80.. so now I feel even better.
As far as the software bundles go.. this is a draw in my mind. Already you can get crysis 3 and Bioshock for $30.
The bundle from Nvidia is selling for $40-$50.. the AMD bundle Ebays at $50.. So.. $10 difference...
I plan on trading my Nvidia stuff for some games.. so I still get free games.

Last edited:

Fastx

Dec 18, 2008
Raghu 78

Just wanted to say thanks for that info and data(exc) you posted!

I just picked up a few things on the 7950 I didn't know.

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
the 680 trades blows with the ghz edition in bf3. The 670 is better than the 7950. Every link you posted you will see the 670 but not the 7950. Look at this for example http://www.overclockers.com/nvidia-gtx-titan-video-card-review the asus 670 is equal to the msi 680 in bf3.

Most of the reviews put the ghz edition ahead and even if it was "680 trades blows with the ghz edition in bf3" its a far cry from your first claim, at the end of the day stop with the exaggerations.

Last edited:

bluesquare07

Mar 10, 2013
Most of the reviews put the ghz edition ahead and even if it was "680 trades blows with the ghz edition in bf3" its a far cry from your first claim, at the end of the day stop with the exaggerations.

What was my first claim? That nvidia runs bf3 better than amd. There are many cards in the nv and amd lineup to determine what company runs a game better. BF3 is pretty much equal for the ghz edition and 680, after the ghz finally caught up a year + later.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
OP.. Glad you're happy with the card. 1175 on the core is pretty good and you won't notice the difference between it and the 7950 oc. And if it makes you feel any better.. You're saving something over the long run in terms of power consumption.

Also use msi afterburner.. You can set a custom fan profile

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
What was my first claim? That nvidia runs bf3 better than amd. There are many cards in the nv and amd lineup to determine what company runs a game better. BF3 is pretty much equal for the ghz edition and 680, after the ghz finally caught up a year + later.

Most reviews put the ghz edition ahead, seeing as you cant even admit that fact your just another time waster.

Xarick

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
Sorry guys.. it is time for a mod to lock this. It is already getting heated.

I appreciate very much all your help.

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
Sorry guys.. it is time for a mod to lock this. It is already getting heated.

I appreciate very much all your help.

If people kept to the facts the off topic sub discussion would not have started.

And my view on your situation, keep the 670.

Xarick

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
Well. I will join in for fun.. Regardless of benchmark I think we can all agree the 680 is not in a good price point right now. 7970ghz is cheaper. Had I not gotten a 670 for $338 I would not have considered a 670 either. Nvidia needs to consider their price points right now.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Well. I will join in for fun.. Regardless of benchmark I think we can all agree the 680 is not in a good price point right now. 7970ghz is cheaper. Had I not gotten a 670 for $338 I would not have considered a 670 either. Nvidia needs to consider their price points right now.

Neither is the Titan's price point, nor the 690s, but sales are good.

Brand name goes a long way. As long as they aren't making bad products, people will keep buying them.