Why the US is on a Collision Course with Total Collapse

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
If you were born in any one of the millions of years that humans have inhabited the earth before 1900 you would be dead and thus, you are merely a dying body maintained by modern technology. You should be thankful that you had the amazing luck to be born in this minuscule time period before we are annihilated in nuclear conflict but after modern surgical medicine.

What is there to disagree about that?

Well the millions thing is the first. Second if you are over 25 you'd be dead most likely. So theory fails on the facts and the logic. Nice try though.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Well the millions thing is the first. Second if you are over 25 you'd be dead most likely. So theory fails on the facts and the logic. Nice try though.

Common misconception - life expectancy wasn't lower because you weren't likely to live all that long, it was lower because newborns, infants, toddlers, and really any young child, had a far worse chance of making it to adulthood. This is due to a lack of effective treatments for many maladies. But once you made it to adulthood, it was really just the gamble of life, just like today (car accidents, falling, getting eaten, etc). Due to a generally healthier population (because the weak were often dead early in life) this meant that adults could survive just as long as they do now. Now we are far more unhealthy due to many complications of modern life, one of the primary reasons being that the less genetically fortunate among us can often survive well into adulthood. Sickly children can survive all kinds of things these days. Now of course bad health advice and everything wrong with our modern diets is adding onto that, but we were far more fit as a species long before advanced civilization, that was probably our downfall. But we sure as hell aren't going back, so now we gotta figure out how to simply make things better as they happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: feralkid

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
You know, I need to come back and read most of the comments here tomorrow. many of them were suprisingly dead on, except the idiot that claimed that people 25+ year olds were already dead. I'm 36,suffered through septic shock, have more business to attend to so....eat it? Thanks for the input folks. I was surprised to get it here of all places. I guess we will figure it out in time...

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
Health care shouldn't be your topic thesis. It should be Social Security.

Social Security != Healthcare. Also, this isn't a thesis. I never went to school. I learned enough that I was able to carry my own burdens. I just worry about our future. We can't carry ourselves forever, and that is what scares me. Edit: And before you judge, my income last year was $253,777 AGI. I'm not broke.

Skunk-Works

Jun 29, 2016
I just wish all the ATOT ballers on here would cheap in a few bucks to my Mavic Pro drone charity. LOL! I suppose I could save for the damn thing. It would take me about two months. Right now they are around $800 which is nice since they were around $1000. I hear a new version is coming out in March, so hopefully that will bring the Mavic Pro down in price. I guess you don't want the Mavic Air.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Let's look at diabities. Currently over 30 million have both type 1 and 2 diabities. 80 million Americans have prediabities and many don't know that they even have it. It's also the 7th leading cause of death. That's today. Within a ten to twenty year span, diabites is going to be the number 2 cause of death. Heart disease will be number 1. Here's the scary part: 1/3 Americans will have some form of type 2 diabities. That's a lot of people who are going to need treatment for life. Sure, they could exercise and eat healthy. But, how many are going to actually follow that advice? Answer: FEW.
I wouldn't give the "food industry" a free pass on this either... THEY put HFCS, in nearly EVERYTHING. Surely, this use of a nearly-poisonous substance should be regulated?

Edit: If I had my way, we would have taxes on unhealthy food, and better food regulations on "processed" foods, and that would pay for universal healthcare. Not unlike taxes on cigarettes paying for healthcare and cessation programs in various states.

Last edited:

CordonFreeman

Feb 24, 2018
In my country CT is 200$ and u have to w8 6-12 month and this is with full health care. Also u have to work hard for 250$ per month. So u dont even know how good u are

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
In my country CT is 200$ and u have to w8 6-12 month and this is with full health care. Also u have to work hard for 250$ per month. So u dont even know how good u are

What country is that?

The CT cost is far cheaper than it is here, that's for sure. It's often between $500-$1500, usually closer to $1000 USD but it is incredibly varied here, could be way more than that. Of course what insurance covers is also a huge variable, we never have a clear understanding of cost before any procedure, except for say the standard visit costs/co-shares/co-pays.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
So don't buy anything on Amazon, a new car, computer crap and everything else in between. Move to Cuba. I hear they have an excellent health care system.

I'm imagining the Republican's dream future of health insurance, where competitors across state lines fight to have the lowest prices for the most barebones health insurance plan that can still be legally called "health insurance".

What you'll basically get when you sign up is an "insurance" card that basically gets rejected everywhere you try to use it. Even if you do find a place in your pathetic little network, you'll probably use up your annual insurance payment cap on your first hospital visit.

I actually had an "insurance" plan like this from my employer pre Obamacare, and it really was useless. All it provided was a false sense of security that quickly disappeared when the first batch of hospital bills came in. I'm not looking forward to going back to a time where such a plan is legal again.

CordonFreeman

Feb 24, 2018
Its cheaper but as i said payment for 1 month hard working in factory is max 300$ per 1 month. U can dream only to earn more than 300$ for 30 days. I know is hard to understand how people live with 7-10$ per day but is true. Ct is cheap and my town got Ct from Japan goverment (giveaway) but if u need CT of for example head u need to w8 min 6 month to get because there are so many ppl and only one CT. I am from Serbia and after Nato bombing there is lot of seek ppl and kids with cancer.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Ouch, we keep saying that $250 is cheap for a CT scan which if we were paying it that would be cheap. It damn sure isn't cheap when it's a months pay though regardless of the actual price.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Its cheaper but as i said payment for 1 month hard working in factory is max 300$ per 1 month. U can dream only to earn more than 300$ for 30 days. I know is hard to understand how people live with 7-10$ per day but is true. Ct is cheap and my town got Ct from Japan goverment (giveaway) but if u need CT of for example head u need to w8 min 6 month to get because there are so many ppl and only one CT. I am from Serbia and after Nato bombing there is lot of seek ppl and kids with cancer.

Ouch, we keep saying that $250 is cheap for a CT scan which if we were paying it that would be cheap. It damn sure isn't cheap when it's a months pay though regardless of the actual price.

Yikes, yeah decidedly not cheap. "Cheap" when comparing the straight USD value, but not cheap when wages make that almost your entire pay for a month. That actually puts it on par if not a little more expensive when compared to American wages and the cost for a CT here.

Sounds like healthcare isn't the problem in Serbia, it's a host of other economic factors and likely government decisions as a decisive factor.

CordonFreeman

Feb 24, 2018
Yikes, yeah decidedly not cheap. "Cheap" when comparing the straight USD value, but not cheap when wages make that almost your entire pay for a month. That actually puts it on par if not a little more expensive when compared to American wages and the cost for a CT here.

Sounds like healthcare isn't the problem in Serbia, it's a host of other economic factors and likely government decisions as a decisive factor.
Health is big problem here because of poor country for examale in my town is only 1 CT on more than 70 000 citizens and u have to w8 6 month to get. U can get urgent but u need to have doctor or u have to pay (corruption) . Only Belgrade is better in that way but rest of country is kinda poor healtcare. I was in hospital 7 days ago and there is how its looks like. My eng is bad i hope u understand

How i will try to explain to u how u are good

I work for 200 and wife for 200 $ in german company part of Bmw in Serbia. So we get 400$ and we have 3 kids in scool, 1l gasoline is 1.3$, i have to pay ct 100$. Electirc power + internet + phone - 100$ ...

Mision imposible every month... me...
7433a9281a13b9c8620b4236af1b6d82.jpg

Last edited:

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Health is big problem here because of poor country for examale in my town is only 1 CT on more than 70 000 citizens and u have to w8 6 month to get. U can get urgent but u need to have doctor or u have to pay (corruption) . Only Belgrade is better in that way but rest of country is kinda poor healtcare. I was in hospital 7 days ago and there is how its looks like. My eng is bad i hope u understand

I work for 200 and wife for 200 $ in german company part of Bmw in Serbia. So we get 400$ and we have 3 kids in scool, 1l gasoline is 1.3$, i have to pay ct 100$. Electirc power + internet + phone - 100$ ...

Hmm... not much room for sexin on a small bed with that. At least you won’t have any more kids any time soon!

CordonFreeman

Feb 24, 2018
Hmm... not much room for sexin on a small bed with that. At least you won’t have any more kids any time soon!
Yea thats semi true.. Btw what if i dont like sexin in bed? And i got kids from 1 sex or in other way i think thats calling twins xD. But that is out of theme here

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
The way and amount they bill is seriously fucked though.

Hospitals will routinely charge $20,000 for a vile of antivenom, a very large portion of which is used in Arizona, but costs only $100 a vile a few hundred miles south in Mexico. Granted not all hospitals charge $20,000 a vial, the price can range from $750 on the very low end to $20,000 on the high end with most charging more than $10,000 a vial. Treatment almost always requires more than one vial and can require up to 70 vials or more.

Sovaldi, the cure for Hep C, costs $1,000 a pill here in the US and it requires a 12 week course which ends up costing about $90,000. In India it costs $4 a pill, less than $500 for a 12 week course of treatment.

These are just a very few examples of the insanity of our healthcare system.

You can thank your government for prohibiting drug cost negotiations.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Its cheaper but as i said payment for 1 month hard working in factory is max 300$ per 1 month. U can dream only to earn more than 300$ for 30 days.
I truely am blessed, in a sense. I may have high health-care costs, but I make $300/month just leaving my PCs running and mining. (Here in USA.)

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Yea thats semi true.. Btw what if i dont like sexin in bed? And i got kids from 1 sex or in other way i think thats calling twins xD. But that is out of theme here

Says the guy with a $600 LG G6.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I truely am blessed, in a sense. I may have high health-care costs, but I make $300/month just leaving my PCs running and mining. (Here in USA.)

Has the mining equipment already paid for itself? I'd like to get more heavily into mining, but I'm worried that the market is going to tank before I get a good return on my investment.

It also looks like the new Proof Of Stake algorithms are going to require you to hold a ton of crypto in your wallet to make any money, which has its own risks.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

But how much do the hookers and blow cost?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Has the mining equipment already paid for itself? I'd like to get more heavily into mining, but I'm worried that the market is going to tank before I get a good return on my investment.

It also looks like the new Proof Of Stake algorithms are going to require you to hold a ton of crypto in your wallet to make any money, which has its own risks.

Well, mostly. I bought a GTX1070ti for $500+, and an RX 570 for $300+. Which, I appear to have basically made back in gross earnings over Jan. and Feb. Of course, I'm not counting electricity costs if I consider ROI that way (my electricity is included in my rent), and I did spend also $500+ on a gaming PC with a GTX1060 3GB card in Dec., and bought 4 UPS units for $600+ in Feb.

So, including the new hardware, I'm no-where near ROI, and I'm not including the cost of the PCs running the GPUs in the ROI calculations. (I didn't build any new PCs strictly to mine with, I adapted some I recently built last year to mine.)

Edit: If profits decline so much, that I'm only making like $5/day across 5 PCs and 7-8 dGPUs, and electricity costs at that point are estimated to be $2-3/day, I'll shut it down during the warmer months.

(As it is, I have electric heat, so it offsets the heating bill, so no extra charge to my landlord. But in the warmer months, having to run the A/C too - that just costs more, instead of basically nothing. That's the point that I'd shut it down, except for maybe two machines with really power-efficient video cards - all of my 14nm cards.)

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
The healthcare industry is scattered with middlemen. The obvious ones are hospital administration (and costs), health insurance, and mal-practice insurance. I don't see anything wrong with doctors making a lot of money for being doctors. They should be well-compensated for the hours they work, the nasty work they do, the nasty patients they see, the sick patients they see....etc.

The problem though, is the hospitals mark everything up...including prescription medication, standard things... They often claim it's for those who don't pay, but the federal government often writes them checks for those patients. It's blown way out of proportion, but they charge it because people have to pay it. Doctors who work in hospital OR's or lease space pay the high prices....and have to because they don't want to do outpatient for things with higher risk. Doctors also are insured for mal-practice insurance every day of the month....including days they aren't working. This is cost of doing business, but that means, a doctor on vacation is paying money and not bringing any in. This makes them pass that misery on to patients. Insurance companies should have to be non-profit entities. They can pay their employees and provide coverage to their members, but when it comes to paying a board of directors and shareholders, that industry needs to be cleaned out. The whole reason they are doing so well is because their goal is to 1. not provide coverage 2. maximize insurance profits. Since people may pay into insurance for 20-30 years when they aren't really sick....they easily hit their maximums when they do need help. It's a bad system.