Why should we bring children into the world?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
The short answer is "we shouldn't", too many people already.

Oh please. :rolleyes: You are still pretty much free to do whatever you want as long as you respect the rights of those around you. The US is still a free society.

The solution is to kill your grandparents, not to avoid having children.

Good, they're are an effective deterrent to all out war.

So unionize and vote your interests. The rich don't just give it away.

The housing market is rebalancing with housing prices falling to come closer to median income affordability. Median income is stagnant as the rich keep the benefits of improved worker productivity to themselves. Again, workers have to fight for what they want.

College financing has become a scam. Legislatures have abandoned the public universities to the loan sharks. The universities have abandoned their missions to seek enrichment for their administrators and faculty at the expense of the students. Until voters decide to do something about it, the system will continue to bloat until it fails.

Protectionism worked. It just didn't work for the right people. With strong unions pushing politicians to maintain tariffs Americans enjoyed better wages. Once the workers forgot how they got the benefits they did and allowed the unions to fade the rich bought up the politicians and we got international labor arbitrage and a death spiral for American wages.

Don't cry. Organize!

The rich stole the American dream and the workers helped them do it. Vote your interests, not your fears, and certainly not your hatreds.

...easy there hardass

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
I thought about putting this in off topic, but since the discussion will revolve around the current political situation, I decided to put it here.

If we go back 100, 200, 500, 1000 years we had rampant disease, periodic starvation, wars,,, and people still reproduced.

Today, we live in an oppressive society that is overly regulated.

The US is deep in debt, and has no solution in sight.

Seems every nation and their brother and sister has nuclear weapons.

Cost of living has outpaces wages.

With all of this and more, why would anyone want to bring a child into the world?

Even basic stuff, such as home ownership is a fading dream for most people.

College education cost a fortune.

There was once a time when a person could finish high school, then go to work in a shipyard, steel mill, car factory,, and earn a good living. But those days are far behind us.

Why would I want to bring a child into the world, only to watch that child struggle with college, struggle to buy a home, struggle to find a job,,,.

As humanity progresses, shouldn't things get easier? Shouldn't getting an education get cheaper and easier? Shouldn't owning a home get cheaper and easier? Its as if humanity reached a pinnacle in the 1970s, and it was downhill from there.

Wages have stagnated since the 1990s, while cost of living has skyrocketed, especially the cost of home ownership.
Because not everybody is negative. Like you say, back in the day we had to worry about food and mass plagues. If our biggest concern now is college debt and being underemployed we've got it pretty damn good, don't you think? Life is more than the sum of the negative tag lines spewed by Fox news.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
ShalomBaby_Baby-218x218.jpg

Who wouldn't want one?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
ShalomBaby_Baby-218x218.jpg

Who wouldn't want one?
A friend of mine, walking down the baby stuff aisle at the grocery store, caught a whiff of baby powder. He exclaimed "Smells like shit and slavery." No truer words have ever been spoken.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
Wrong, children are a waste of energy and time. They give you nothing in return yet take your life away.

If its a waste of time and energy your doing it wrong.

As a father I get plenty in return, I have a closet full of shitty ties to prove it :)

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Educated people with access to birth control are not reproducing at replacement levels. Birth rates are even starting to fall in the third world.

And a lot of the bad things that OP complains about would be lessened if we had less people in the world.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
When I am on my death bed, one of my regrets will be that I didn't Procreate. Mainly because my Genes are friggin awesome and the rest of all y'alls will be the worse off without them.

:colbert:

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
Wow, what a bunch of selfish cry babies here. This generation of American fvcked up the country that last generation worked so hard to build, and your solution to this mess is, don't bring in the next generation because we fvck it up?

What about try and solve this shit instead? Oh I get it, these cry babies are just trying to come up with another reason they don't have to shoulder one more responsibility. No wonder the country is so fvck up as it is.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
Wow, what a bunch of selfish cry babies here. This generation of American fvcked up the country that last generation worked so hard to build, and your solution to this mess is, don't bring in the next generation because we fvck it up?

What about try and solve this shit instead? Oh I get it, these cry babies are just trying to come up with another reason they don't have to shoulder one more responsibility. No wonder the country is so fvck up as it is.

Right.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Because not everybody is negative. Like you say, back in the day we had to worry about food and mass plagues. If our biggest concern now is college debt and being underemployed we've got it pretty damn good, don't you think? Life is more than the sum of the negative tag lines spewed by Fox news.

I am not trying to be negative, I am trying to be honest.

I have 4 children with my first wife, they range in age from 25 - 16.

HydroSqueegee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2005
Life sucks. thats just the nature of the beast. Why not have some kids to share your misery?

Kids are great. It has its ups and downs, but in general its good times. Everyone has their own reasons for wanting or not wanting them. Why over analyze? This world isnt all doom and gloom, thats just the side that gets the most headlines.

Nov 29, 2006
I am not brining kids into this world. And some of the stuff you talked about is the reason. If this was a better world i would do it, but im not about to bring someone into a shit storm waiting to happen. Hell half the time i dont even want to be a part of this shit.

The world is just going to continue to get worse.

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
I am not brining kids into this world. And some of the stuff you talked about is the reason. If this was a better world i would do it, but im not about to bring someone into a shit storm waiting to happen. Hell half the time i dont even want to be a part of this shit.

The world is just going to continue to get worse.

oh geez... that's like not swinging at the fastball with 2 strikes...

we obviously "attend" this place.. we dont know if we chose it or not.. but it's here, and you can't imagine it not being here.. (it's impossible) so it's basically a little space of time we somehow built a consciousness in, and who fucking knows when that could happen again, live it up... at least give someone else the chance to if you dont want it...(have a kid)

Nov 29, 2006
oh geez... that's like not swinging at the fastball with 2 strikes...

we obviously "attend" this place.. we dont know if we chose it or not.. but it's here, and you can't imagine it not being here.. (it's impossible) so it's basically a little space of time we somehow built a consciousness in, and who fucking knows when that could happen again, live it up... at least give someone else the chance to if you dont want it...(have a kid)

I hope you didnt think i meant i wish i was dead. Far from it. I just wish i could get away to some place were people were still decent and leave this big world of politics and global crap behind. Disconnect from the big world so to speak.

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
I hope you didnt think i meant i wish i was dead. Far from it. I just wish i could get away to some place were people were still decent and leave this big world of politics and global crap behind. Disconnect from the big world so to speak.

oh nah, i didnt mean to sound dickish if i did either.. couldn't sleep well last night, kinda cranky

i too hope the world takes a big turn back to the basics in my lifetime... so now we have cool shit like the internet.. the new needs to wear off.. people need to stop idolizing celebritys and start working on building themselves, learning new things.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Hey we need more people paying into SS when we retire. A lot of economic growth is connected with population growth, if you have more people buy things you can sell more things.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
A lot of our economics depend on growing the GDP. Good luck growing the GDP without growing the population.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
A lot of our economics depend on growing the GDP. Good luck growing the GDP without growing the population.

Shhhh...you'll interrupt all the old people trying to blame the country's issues on people that only recently graduated high school.

Last edited:

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Biological imperative. People don't "choose" to have children, they are hardwired to do and rationalize it like it is a choice.

^This.

Also parents of children almost always come up with the question "when are we going to get to be grandparents" unaware that times have changed...

And that we are putting more and more stress on this planet's ability to support all of the humans and the way some of its population chooses to live.

Because children are good things.

This is exactly why people should plan more carefully (and with the gravity this decision deserves) when they decide to have children.

Some people are not responsible enough to have children and the costs of contraception is nothing compared to the cost that tax payers have to bear when the childrens' parents aren't up to the task.

Following this line of thought is rather tangential to the subject but is something worth bringing up to keep in the back of one's mind in terms of this thread's subject.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008

Again, quality and not quantity is what matters. If the growth of population consists only of dimwits and welfare whores, then good luck growing your GDP!