Why should I be excited about Gears of War?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mode101wpb

Aug 16, 2005
The thing is, does Gears of War bring anything new to the table or just another run of the mill game? I'm growing tired with the same old, same old. I don't own a 360 and never played GoW.

Maybe Alan Wake will be a refreshing change?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: mode101wpb
The thing is, does Gears of War bring anything new to the table or just another run of the mill game? I'm growing tired with the same old, same old. I don't own a 360 and never played GoW.

Yeah, that was what I was asking with the OP.

I hope Alan Wake turns out as well as I am expecting. Looks great from what I have seen so far.

KT

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

I hope Alan Wake turns out as well as I am expecting. Looks great from what I have seen so far.

KT

if you are looking for an epic 3rd person shooter, gears is it.

the game is actually quite linear, but it doesn't feel that way. the music scoring is fantastic, the combat is brutal and thrilling, and makes you feel like you're in a war zone.

for $40 or even $50, GoW is a solid choice for an SP game, IMO

i'll record some gameplay if you're interestd, KT.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

KT

if you are looking for an epic 3rd person shooter, gears is it.

the game is actually quite linear, but it doesn't feel that way. the music scoring is fantastic, the combat is brutal and thrilling, and makes you feel like you're in a war zone.

for $40 or even $50, GoW is a solid choice for an SP game, IMO

i'll record some gameplay if you're interestd, KT.

Yeah sure, that would be very, very cool. I'm shelving Hellgate until the next patch and I am now trying to decide between GoW, Crysis, and CoD4 for my next game. :)

KT

brikis98

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
stuttering does occur, but it's not that bad.
haven't had any crash to dekstops
have had freezing (GPU/driver related is my guess)
Any amount of stuttering in a fast-paced shooter is pretty bad. Especially when you know the hardware should be able to do the job.

Search around the web, incl. GoW forums... tons of ppl are having severe technical issues, rendering the game unplayable until a patch comes out.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR MULTIPLAYER.

if you want ranked/matching play, then yes, you have to pay for a "gold" account. otherwise, the only is just like any PC game - pick from a list of games.

i have joined and hosted co-op games and i have a free account.
you are correct. the paid service is indeed only for ranked gameplay and other extra features. good to hear.