Why should I be excited about Gears of War?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: MonKENy
Originally posted by: warcrow Again.....I cannot pin it down as to why so many people do this.

because I didnt know any better at the time. i was just lumping into a category. I had never played it until I borrowed it and that was like 1 1/2 yrs after it came out. Now I call it a 3rd person shooter or shooter.

Oh--I didnt mean to come across like I was jumping down your throat, sorry. I'm just trying to figure out why, so often, people reffer to the game as a FPS.

It's just interesting to me.

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
Originally posted by: warcrow
Originally posted by: warcrow Again.....I cannot pin it down as to why so many people do this.

because I didnt know any better at the time. i was just lumping into a category. I had never played it until I borrowed it and that was like 1 1/2 yrs after it came out. Now I call it a 3rd person shooter or shooter.

Oh--I didnt mean to come across like I was jumping down your throat, sorry. I'm just trying to figure out why, so often, people reffer to the game as a FPS.

Just habit probably. Shooter = FPS for most people. I've never seen anyone use TPS.

Why is it called the Federal Reserve, when it's neither federal nor a reserve?

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
i know. i didnt take it offensively. thats why i answered in some detail. i figured you asked more out of curiosity than spite.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
How long is the single player campaign? Is this game similar to quake4 (ok but rather limited flexibility) or farcry - gazillion ways to do things (sneak, snipe, jump, duck, open ended maps) ?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Dethfrumbelo

Just habit probably. Shooter = FPS for most people. I've never seen anyone use TPS.

Why is it called the Federal Reserve, when it's neither federal nor a reserve?

FPS = First Person Shooter

Originally posted by: you2
How long is the single player campaign? Is this game similar to quake4 (ok but rather limited flexibility) or farcry - gazillion ways to do things (sneak, snipe, jump, duck, open ended maps) ?

given that this is a TPS (third person shooter), it relies more on duck/cover/fire tactics than balls to the walls, run in and blow stuff up.

check out gameplay videos to see what the action is like.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Queasy
As for the port comment, I think it is wait and see at this point. The Halo ports sucked because the company that Bungie and MS farmed the port to did an awful job. Since Epic is doing the port themselves, I'd expect much better results. Plus there is all the extra content and map editor.

Seeing as UT3 is a sack of shit, I'm not holding out a lot of hope for it.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: marmasatt

So who picked up the game and is currently playing it....?

i will hopefully be buying it tomorrow at BB through a pricematch ($40 @ CC starting tmw)

mc866

Golden Member
Dec 15, 2005
Originally posted by: happy medium
Originally posted by: Oyeve
Mouse and KB are a sell for me. I have the 360 version and cannot play because I need a KB and freaking mouse! ARG! MS, get your crap together and let us use a KB and mouse on the 360!

Theres plenty of adapters for the 360 that allow you to play with the mouse and keyboard.

http://midwestgames.stores.yahoo.net/xbxadusemoke.html
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gad...to-your-360-217332.php
http://cgi.ebay.com/XCM-XFPS-3...75486654QQcmdZViewItem

Has anyone tried any of these? Do they work well?

brikis98

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
My take:

[EDIT]: sorry for the confusion... dunno how i forgot to mention this review is for the xbox 360 version. however, i'm a sure a lot of it will apply to the pc version.

=== Graphics ===
Overall, very impressive. In some areas, such as blur, textures, soft lighting (hdr) and character models, these are some of the best graphics you'll find anywhere.

=== Sound ===
Good enough to get the job done. Sound effects are decent, voice acting is acceptable, music is fine. Nothing mind blowing here, but nothing to complain about either.

=== Style/Character ===
The game has some very unique elements it def gets some kudos for. The chainsaw mechanism is brutal and entertaining. The "hammer of dawn" gun is great. The cool camera view when running is a nice touch. However, the artistic style is very repetitive and the colors are very bland, so your brain goes a bit numb after playing for a while. Moreover, I'm personally not into the whole "I wear size 48 boots that weight 72lbs a piece but I don't wear a helmet" thing.

=== Story/Writing ===
Mostly crap. The story is extremely generic and completely secondary to the action. Some of the one-liners thrown out by your squad mates are amusing, but otherwise, there's not much to it.

=== Gameplay ===
This game brings a few cool ideas to the table, and for that I have to give it credit, but unfortunately, almost every single gameplay element gets boring in under 10 minutes. The cover system, for example, was unique for its time and is pretty neat... at first. Unfortunately, the controls aren't ideal - using the same button to duck, roll, sprint, etc will mess you up fairly often. Moreover, it's numbingly repetitive to just (1) duck (2) stand up (3) fire (4) repeat. The chainsaw is awesome initially, but it's exactly the same every time, so it loses its charm. The graphics are mind blowing at first, but the bland, over-used textures/colors bore you to death after a while. Having teammates is cool, but unless you're playing coop, you quickly find out they are pretty useless.

As an added gripe - and this is true of lots of shooters, including Halo 3 - most guns feel massively underpowered in this game. They sound like pee shooters (where is the "boom" of a gunshot?) and enemies can absorb an enormous amount of lead. When I complained about this, my friends said "well, it only takes several headshots". Several headshots? You have to put multiple .50cal slugs through a brain to stop these guys? And to make things worse, the most powerful weapon in the game is the chainsaw. That's right, a meele weapon is a 1 hit kill to all but the toughest enemies. Bad guys will absorb 3 clips of ammo from my ultra-futuristic gun, but touch them with a friggin chainsaw, and they drop dead instantly. Lame.

=== Multiplayer ===
The one saving grace for this game, and the only reason to play more than just the demo, is the coop. You can play through the single player with a friend, providing cover, saving the other person if they go down, and so on. As with most things, it's much more fun with someone else.

Other than coop, I have not tried multiplayer, so I can't comment on that.

=== Conclusion ===
Overall, the game has some promise, but its fun is short lived. I enjoyed the game for about 30 minutes, after which I found it to be just a chore.

If there is a demo, try it out first. Play through it 4-5 times. This will give you a glimpse into what the game offers, but also show you its repetitive nature. If by the 5th play through you're not bored, then by all means drop $50 on it :)

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Thanks for all of the information guys, it is really appreciated. :thumbsup:

I think I will hold out for a demo though, since I already have a full plate of games to play and not enough time to play them. There has been nothing said here that has really convinced me to rush out and grab the game.

KT

Deinonych

Apr 26, 2003
Originally posted by: mc866
Originally posted by: happy medium
Originally posted by: Oyeve
Mouse and KB are a sell for me. I have the 360 version and cannot play because I need a KB and freaking mouse! ARG! MS, get your crap together and let us use a KB and mouse on the 360!

Theres plenty of adapters for the 360 that allow you to play with the mouse and keyboard.

http://midwestgames.stores.yahoo.net/xbxadusemoke.html
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gad...to-your-360-217332.php
http://cgi.ebay.com/XCM-XFPS-3...75486654QQcmdZViewItem

Has anyone tried any of these? Do they work well?

I would like to know this as well. I might play more shooters on my Xbox 360 if they work. The one on Gizmodo looks intriguing.

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
5. Graphics fall somewhere in-between amazing and terrible. :confused:

It is the Unreal Engine. The graphics are closer to amazing than terrible. The only valid complaint would be color palette but that's an artistic choice not a graphics issue.

Ahh ok. Hopefully it doesn't look all foggy like the UT3 demo.

KT

See this brother:

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=578721

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
brikis98,

Thanks much for the review, a few questions and comments for you concerning the PC version v. 360-

1. Does it offer difficulty levels? If so which did you play on? It makes a huge difference in how tough the locust are, and how easily you die.

2. Were you htting you active reloads perfect? Often the character will comment when he does. They make a huge difference in damage to enemies.

3. Did you have any curb stomps? I've never spoken to anyone over XBL that didn't love those the first time they played.

4. Did you try pistol whipping, and using your pistol much? Very challenging, and the magnum with a perfect active is a powerful close quarters weapon, at least on 360 it is.

5. "The graphics are mind blowing at first, but the bland, over-used textures/colors bore you to death after a while." Thats intentional, it is the devs idea of a bleak, distopian, future. Not every body digs it, but I love the hopelessness it imparts.

6. "I'm personally not into the whole "I wear size 48 boots that weight 72lbs a piece but I don't wear a helmet" thing." Yes, because realism is so important in sci-fi. -5 review points for that one! :p

7. "As an added gripe - and this is true of lots of shooters, including Halo 3 - most guns feel massively underpowered in this game." I will evaluate that when I buy the game soon. Because perfect actives and difficulty level of the game, on the 360, greatly effect this. Also, in 360 MP, the sniper and shotgun with perfect active often require only one shot. Particularly with the "host powers" issue.

8. "the most powerful weapon in the game is the chainsaw." Doesn't the torque bow become available in the PC version? On 360: That always kills with one hit, chunky style. The sticky grenade is always a kill too. While the shotty is underpowered on hardcore and insane mode in the campaign, in MP it is far more lethal. Hell, you can beat people down with the sniper rifle in MP great, because they can't recover before you stroke them again.

9. "Moreover, it's numbingly repetitive to just (1) duck (2) stand up (3) fire (4) repeat." Compared to what? The typical run&gun and where you just get to run& ummmm...gun! At least I can fire from cover when hurt instead of hiding behind something and picking my nose or run away. I guess I just couldn't agree with you less on that. Also, while on insane that is necessary, on the other 2 difficulty settings, I charge with shotgun or pistol quite a bit. The roadie run, cover slide, and a roll in, are perfect setups for getting in close. It is just a play style thing. Everyone says you can't run&gun in Gears, but you can do it fairly frequently on anything but insane.

10. "Bad guys will absorb 3 clips of ammo from my ultra-futuristic gun, but touch them with a friggin chainsaw, and they drop dead instantly. Lame." Yet more I need to evaluate v. 360 when I pick this up. Even on insane, with good actives and aim, only a boomer can take that much damage, and that's for good reason. They are a mini-boss, and most video games make those tougher. Same goes for the Theron, but 3 clips? not even close. I also don't understand the drop dead instantly remark, there isn't any screaming and jerking around while your saw eats through him?

A concluding comment: If you haven't consistantly tried knee capping them yet, do it. They go to their hands and knees, ready for a curb stomp, or if from a distance a quick death from a quick swap to pistol headshots.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Dkcode
5. Graphics fall somewhere in-between amazing and terrible. :confused:

It is the Unreal Engine. The graphics are closer to amazing than terrible. The only valid complaint would be color palette but that's an artistic choice not a graphics issue.

Ahh ok. Hopefully it doesn't look all foggy like the UT3 demo.

KT

See this brother:

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=578721

Thanks, but it's too late for me to try it; I already uninstalled the demo and I will not be bying the game.

KT

brikis98

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER
Thanks much for the review, a few questions and comments for you concerning the PC version v. 360-
Sorry, I'm not sure how I forgot to mention it in the review, but I was reviewing the 360 version... since the post asks what to expect, i imagine it's a pretty good basis even for the pc version :)

1. Does it offer difficulty levels? If so which did you play on? It makes a huge difference in how tough the locust are, and how easily you die.
I played it on whatever the default difficulty was (medium?). I've watched my friends beat it on insane difficulty as well. The only real difference I noted was that with increased difficulty, the locust could absorb more and more ammo to the point of absurdity.

2. Were you htting you active reloads perfect? Often the character will comment when he does. They make a huge difference in damage to enemies.
Usually, yea. I actually thought this was a lame system - a gun becoming more powerful because you reloaded at the right time? what kind of weird ass touch-feely technology are they using?

3. Did you have any curb stomps? I've never spoken to anyone over XBL that didn't love those the first time they played.
yup, forgot to mention them. just like the chainsaw, it's a nice stylistic touch, but not interesting after the first time you use it.

4. Did you try pistol whipping, and using your pistol much? Very challenging, and the magnum with a perfect active is a powerful close quarters weapon, at least on 360 it is.
Didn't use the handgun much, but if a handgun is more powerful than a huge-ass rifle, i'm not sure that would add to the enjoyment of the game...

5. "The graphics are mind blowing at first, but the bland, over-used textures/colors bore you to death after a while." Thats intentional, it is the devs idea of a bleak, distopian, future. Not every body digs it, but I love the hopelessness it imparts.
yup, just a matter of preference really. i found it dull and uninteresting personally, but that doesn't mean others won't like it.

6. "I'm personally not into the whole "I wear size 48 boots that weight 72lbs a piece but I don't wear a helmet" thing." Yes, because realism is so important in sci-fi. -5 review points for that one! :p
it has nothing to do with realism and everything to do with looking stupid, which takes away from the game's feel/style.

7. "As an added gripe - and this is true of lots of shooters, including Halo 3 - most guns feel massively underpowered in this game." I will evaluate that when I buy the game soon. Because perfect actives and difficulty level of the game, on the 360, greatly effect this. Also, in 360 MP, the sniper and shotgun with perfect active often require only one shot. Particularly with the "host powers" issue.
yes, perfect reloads, difficulty level and weapon choice have an effect, but ultimately you will find that it usually takes (1) multiple head shots or (2) countless body shots to take someone down. it makes the guns feel horribly underpowered and not particularly fun to wield.

8. "the most powerful weapon in the game is the chainsaw." Doesn't the torque bow become available in the PC version? On 360: That always kills with one hit, chunky style. The sticky grenade is always a kill too. While the shotty is underpowered on hardcore and insane mode in the campaign, in MP it is far more lethal. Hell, you can beat people down with the sniper rifle in MP great, because they can't recover before you stroke them again.
i think you missed the point: you're a well trained soldier with giant guns fighting heavily armored enemies... and your most effective weapons are... a chainsaw, a crossbow (why, so far in the future, would you ever use a crossbow to shoot explosives?), and the ultimate kicker: the butt end of your rifle. that's right, the butt end of your rifle can be more effective than the bullets you shoot from it. the pussification of guns is just ridiculous in this game.

9. "Moreover, it's numbingly repetitive to just (1) duck (2) stand up (3) fire (4) repeat." Compared to what? The typical run&gun and where you just get to run& ummmm...gun! At least I can fire from cover when hurt instead of hiding behind something and picking my nose or run away. I guess I just couldn't agree with you less on that. Also, while on insane that is necessary, on the other 2 difficulty settings, I charge with shotgun or pistol quite a bit. The roadie run, cover slide, and a roll in, are perfect setups for getting in close. It is just a play style thing. Everyone says you can't run&gun in Gears, but you can do it fairly frequently on anything but insane.
i'm actually not a fan of most simple "run & gun" shooters either. quake 3, doom 3, unreal tournament, counter strike, etc all bore me to tears. just as gear's cover tactics get super repetitive, the run & gun tactics become mind numbing after 5 minutes.

games that i do enjoy employ more varied/unique gameplay styles, such as incorporating lots of stealth (thief series, splinter cell), realistic 1-hit-kill gameplay (rainbow six), extremely varied rock-paper-scissors gameplay (battlefield 1942), rpg elements (oblivion), puzzles (portals, prey).

10. "Bad guys will absorb 3 clips of ammo from my ultra-futuristic gun, but touch them with a friggin chainsaw, and they drop dead instantly. Lame." Yet more I need to evaluate v. 360 when I pick this up. Even on insane, with good actives and aim, only a boomer can take that much damage, and that's for good reason. They are a mini-boss, and most video games make those tougher. Same goes for the Theron, but 3 clips? not even close. I also don't understand the drop dead instantly remark, there isn't any screaming and jerking around while your saw eats through him?
3 clips is obviously an exaggeration, but there's no good way to express that in text, i guess. however, even the most basic enemies can absorb a good clip of ammo to the body. which would be fine, since they do appear heavily armored. however, walk up to them with a chainsaw, and with one hit they are dead. yes, there is a couple of seconds of brutal animation, but you're still dropping the enemy with a single tap of a button. and the point is the same: the guns in the game have no real umph to them and may as well be water pistols compared to the chainsaw, butt end of the rifle, pistol whip, etc.

A concluding comment: If you haven't consistantly tried knee capping them yet, do it. They go to their hands and knees, ready for a curb stomp, or if from a distance a quick death from a quick swap to pistol headshots.
yes, knee shots work a bit better if the enemy isn't behind cover.

Oct 18, 2007
Again.....I cannot pin it down as to why so many people do this.
The FPS genre has been around for a long time, and the third-person perspective feels more like a variation on FPS games, rather then a distinct genre in and of itself. Hell, lots of FPS games let you switch perspectives to third-person, either for performing specific tasks (vehicle mode in UT3) or whenever you want.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
So how long is the single player campaign ? Does it have replay value ?

brikis98

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
a buddy of mine just got this for his PC. we spent a few hours troubleshooting it and could not get the game to run for more than 5 minutes straight. the game is INSANELY unstable. just about *everyone* has one or more of the following issues:

* horrible stuttering (despite good enough hardware)
* crash to desktop within 1 minute of launching the game
* crash to desktop after 5 minutes of playing
* crash to desktop when adjusting graphics settings
* incompatibility with most graphics drivers
* and much more

and here's the ultimate kicker: apparently, you have to pay $50 to sign up for MS Live to play this multiplayer, even for coop! so, unlike the 360 version, you can't enjoy this one with your friends w/o forking over loads more $$ to M$! of course, we never got the game running long enough to verify this, but if true, this release is utter trash.

stay FAR FAR away from this release, at least until a patch comes out. even then, the (free) coop play of the 360 version - which is by far the best part of the game anyway - makes it vastly superior.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: brikis98
a buddy of mine just got this for his PC. we spent a few hours troubleshooting it and could not get the game to run for more than 5 minutes straight. the game is INSANELY unstable. just about *everyone* has one or more of the following issues:

* horrible stuttering (despite good enough hardware)
* crash to desktop within 1 minute of launching the game
* crash to desktop after 5 minutes of playing
* crash to desktop when adjusting graphics settings
* incompatibility with most graphics drivers
* and much more

and here's the ultimate kicker: apparently, you have to pay $50 to sign up for MS Live to play this multiplayer, even for coop! so, unlike the 360 version, you can't enjoy this one with your friends w/o forking over loads more $$ to M$! of course, we never got the game running long enough to verify this, but if true, this release is utter trash.

stay FAR FAR away from this release, at least until a patch comes out. even then, the (free) coop play of the 360 version - which is by far the best part of the game anyway - makes it vastly superior.

stuttering does occur, but it's not that bad.
haven't had any crash to dekstops
have had freezing (GPU/driver related is my guess)

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR MULTIPLAYER.

if you want ranked/matching play, then yes, you have to pay for a "gold" account. otherwise, the only is just like any PC game - pick from a list of games.

i have joined and hosted co-op games and i have a free account.

techgamer

Sep 19, 2007
I have not had any major issues with the game. using nvidia card and win xp. I like the game so far.

cheers