Why should I be excited about Gears of War?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Cool, thanks warcrow, that is quite helpful. I hope they do a good job on the controls, I have a tough enough time playing 3rd person in a shooter.

I always thought the graphics were a major selling point for this game. It sounds as if that may not actually be the case once it hits PC. It will be tough to complete with Crysis, no doubt, but it would be unfortunate if it actually looks like a 2 year old game once it gets here. I'm sure (I hope) they will make some adjustments to compensate for it.

Heh, I fixed the dual 3s in my original post, I had moved something up that I figured was more important, but forgot to adjust the rest of the numbers. :eek:

Cheers,
KT

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004
It should be noted that they are adding in a whole new chapter into the single player game, bringing it to 6 in total.

Deinonych

Apr 26, 2003
I picked it up a couple weeks ago on a whim (edit: for the Xbox 360, obviously). Took me a couple of evenings to play through it. It was relatively enjoyable for a console game, but there wasn't anything notably unique about it. The graphics are certainly nice, though. One friend of mine was raving about how it brought "so many new things" to the FPS genre, that I was doing myself a disservice by not playing it. Frankly, I really can't figure out what he was talking about.

Might be worth picking up if you can find it cheap on the PC.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Queasy
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
5. Graphics fall somewhere in-between amazing and terrible. :confused:

It is the Unreal Engine. The graphics are closer to amazing than terrible. The only valid complaint would be color palette but that's an artistic choice not a graphics issue.

So an apocalyptic concrete jungle is supposed to look like Katamari Damacy? Anyways, its more of a 360 game, sort of like the Halo series.

techgamer

Sep 19, 2007
Come on, no one yet has commented about the amazing 360 commercial with that awesome song from dannie darco? best 30-60 seconds ever lol

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: techgamer
Come on, no one yet has commented about the amazing 360 commercial with that awesome song from dannie darco? best 30-60 seconds ever lol

thats your reason why we should be excited about the game??

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: techgamer

Well it's Donnie Darko, but yeah, awesome song! Cool movie too. :thumbsup:

KT

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Deinonych
I picked it up a couple weeks ago on a whim (edit: for the Xbox 360, obviously). Took me a couple of evenings to play through it. It was relatively enjoyable for a console game, but there wasn't anything notably unique about it. The graphics are certainly nice, though. One friend of mine was raving about how it brought "so many new things" to the FPS genre, that I was doing myself a disservice by not playing it. Frankly, I really can't figure out what he was talking about.

Might be worth picking up if you can find it cheap on the PC.

It's interesting that alot of people do this--call it a FPS. The game is actually played from a 3rd person perspective.

PresidentThomasJefferson

Aug 1, 2007
I have it on 360.. good console game (I prefer Halo though) ..it's slower paced.. pvp is only 8 players on console max

Graphics are best yet on 360.. it should be on par with Unreal 3 since same updated engine

Won't get it on PC since I have it already on 360..

I'll be getting Crysis & Unreal 3.. already have QuakeWars & Hellgate:London ( I used to play QuakeWars but it's been taken over by Hell'Gate)

I hated Orange Box.. I can;t stand crappy cartoon graphics (why I hated WoW) ..good gameplay but I need great realistic graphics to get into things (my artistic sensibilities -art minor at UCBerkeley & biochem major(evolutionary biology rocks!) so realistic, 3D graphics that's science based instead of cartoony loony toons, please) ..but to each his own

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: PresidentThomasJefferson
I hated Orange Box.. I can;t stand crappy cartoon graphics (why I hated WoW) ..good gameplay but I need great realistic graphics to get into things (my artistic sensibilities -art minor at UCBerkeley & biochem major(evolutionary biology rocks!) so realistic, 3D graphics that's science based instead of cartoony loony toons, please) ..but to each his own

That's true, Hellgate has the most realistic demons and zombies I've ever seen...wait...what? :confused:

KT

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Because the benevolent XBox 360 gods bestowed upon you the gift of one of "their" game exclusives! You say, "but it's been out for over a year, it's 3rd person, and it won't play right without a controller". I say, "silence heathen"! Else the console gods never again reveal their almighty glory to us lowly "PC gamers" again!!!

Thank you oh console gods for blessing us with half-baked ports, horrid framerates, a DX10/Vista requirement for a DX8 title (here's looking at you Halo 2); it really is more than we deserve for not filling your golden coffers by buying your console, ridiculously overpriced accessories, and games.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Golgatha
Because the benevolent XBox 360 gods bestowed upon you the gift of one of "their" game exclusives! You say, "but it's been out for over a year, it's 3rd person, and it won't play right without a controller". I say, "silence heathen"! Else the console gods never again reveal their almighty glory to us lowly "PC gamers" again!!!

Thank you oh console gods for blessing us with half-baked ports, horrid framerates, a DX10/Vista requirement for a DX8 title (here's looking at you Halo 2); it really is more than we deserve for not filling your golden coffers by buying your console, ridiculously overpriced accessories, and games.

:D Good stuff.

KT

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
I have it on 360.. good console game (I prefer Halo though) ..it's slower paced.. pvp is only 8 players on console max

Graphics are best yet on 360.. it should be on par with Unreal 3 since same updated engine

Won't get it on PC since I have it already on 360..

I'll be getting Crysis & Unreal 3.. already have QuakeWars & Hellgate:London ( I used to play QuakeWars but it's been taken over by Hell'Gate)

The Orange Box doesnt have cartoon graphics--it's Team Fortress 2. That's one of the five games included.

BTW, for what it's worth I have to disagree with you. I thought BioShock blew the doors off of GoW in the graphical dept.--but that's just me. :)

PresidentThomasJefferson

Aug 1, 2007
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

That's true, Hellgate has the most realistic demons and zombies I've ever seen...wait...what? :confused:

KT
LOL, ya, the zombies do look like realistic corpses & the demons look great (shiny reflective scales, u can see the sinews/musculature on them) ..meaning the art is realistic (dragons drawn by Larry Elmore/Dungones& Dragons artwork/Everquest vs. Puff the Magic dragon -cartoony crap. I have & like HalfLife 2 /Counterstrike .."Valve was insane to make TF2 cartoony

Think Final Fantasy 12 art vs the cartoony art of Cars/Disney/FinalFantasy3 with their bubble heads, lol

Halo3/ResidentEvil has realistic aliens/flood zombies vs. cartoony unrealistic the zombies in 'Ghoulds & Goblins' /Ghosts & Goblins

Think X-Men comics by Jim Lee vs Richie Rich/Archie cartoony unrealistic graphics

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
It's a very fun FPS, it has some really cool stuff (the cover system is fairly innovative)

It's more of a tactical FPS than games like Bioshock, the use of cover is pretty much required. Running and gunning doesn't work very well.

Graphics are amazing, though the scenery is repetative. It's all gray and depressing. If you remember how the Doom 3 enviroments were, it's kinda like that.

I'd recommend it, especially if you can get it for like 40 bucks.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Carmen813
It's a very fun FPS, it has some really cool stuff (the cover system is fairly innovative)

It's more of a tactical FPS than games like Bioshock, the use of cover is pretty much required. Running and gunning doesn't work very well.

Graphics are amazing, though the scenery is repetative. It's all gray and depressing. If you remember how the Doom 3 enviroments were, it's kinda like that.

I'd recommend it, especially if you can get it for like 40 bucks.

;)

Deinonych

Apr 26, 2003
Originally posted by: warcrow
It's interesting that alot of people do this--call it a FPS. The game is actually played from a 3rd person perspective.

Good point. Replace "FPS" with "shooter," then.

mc866

Golden Member
Dec 15, 2005
I'm saddened by the responses to this thread, I thought there would be more positive comments. Anyway here are my feelings on the game. When this was released for the 360 it had the best graphics to date and in my opinion looked excellent. I have no idea how the port will be so I can't speak to that but as mentioned before this is a 3rd person shooter and just because it is a port should not be compared to Halo, this game is nothing like the first person fast pace jump, run and gun action that is Halo. The thing that GOW did well is the cover system. This added a new twist to the 3rd person action and I think was the most unique aspect of this game. Also the active reload system. This mini game of sorts actually provided pay off if you could time this well because your shots were that much more effective. The active reload was a huge advantage in MP if you could hit it.

I felt the SP was good, the story and the voice acting was kind of cliche and corny but I think that's what they were going for. The story was good but nothing revolutionary. The fact that they are adding an additional act is very intriguing because I felt the downfall to the SP was how short it was.

I also really liked the MP of gears, there was something very satisfying about chainsawing someone from the opposing team. I spent many evenings playing MP though I never seemed to get good at it. The MP maps were good and there was actually strategy that could be applied so I found it fun when going team based 4 on 4.

Those are just my impressions on the 360 version. Does that mean the port will be great, no, Does that mean the controls will map well, no but I can't tell you how many times I played MP and said if I only had a keyboard/mouse this game would be sooooo much better. I just figured more people would be excited about this game for the PC. Anyway just my two cents.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001

To the OP: Your post is all about you, you, you, and since I am all about me, me , me, I couldn't care less if you get excited about Gears on PC. Don't buy it, be a good, loyal, PC gaming purist, and boycott "crappy console ports" I am most certain it will change the industry. ;)

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER

To the OP: Your post is all about you, you, you, and since I am all about me, me , me, I couldn't care less if you get excited about Gears on PC. Don't buy it, be a good, loyal, PC gaming purist, and boycott "crappy console ports" I am most certain it will change the industry. ;)

:D

KT

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
i got my 360 about a year or so after the GoW craze and i was always like blag blah blah another fps. but after getting my elite and borrowing the game I have to say i was sorely misunderstood.

Gears of War is an excellent game and heres why I think so

lets start with the obvious...Graphics
The graphics in this game are simply beautiful, the textures are great the buildings look old and worn down, the vegetation is sparse but realistic. the water effects in the rainy levels are astounding how they actually make everything LOOK wet and the rain falling coupled with the shadow and lighting effects. HOWEVER this game is very glitchy. lots of times effects will get stuck (like say a brdge thats supposed to collapse but chunks will hover) and clipping is a problem as well.

Controls...
Its a 3rd person shooter and theres a reason for it. The way they implement having to take cover and fight strategically would just not be possible in a 1st person environment. you have to duck and run and dive for cover all while shooting/fighting off enemies. the only problem I have found with the controls is that at odd times i will unstick from the cover im at. it doesnt happen alot but it seems to happen (at least to me lol) at the worst possible times. This would be my only worry as far as a port to pc. I dont see the controls working very well.

Sound....
Sound is great i dont see how there could be sound issues in games these days. the sound effects are realistic the music is subtle but sets the mood when its needed. the voice acting is very well done and made me smile a few times.

ahhh the AI...
the AI in this game is pretty good, depending on your difficulty level of course. On normal campaign the AI is enough to keep yuo sweating. The enemies will regularly take cover while pinning you down with fire so their buddies can flank you. They make good use of the environment and weapons to keep you on your toes. The only problem with the AI is not that its bad but when you up the difficulty level the computer doesnt get smarter they just get harder to kill, by which i mean it takes more ammo to kill them but you get killed just as fast. I would rather see the enemies out maneuver me then just be able to take a whole clip to kill.

Co-Op....
This game is made even better by the co-op mode. theres just something about flushing out enemies and flanking and strategically reining terror on the bad guys with a good friend. Nothing flawed about this. its the same as single player except your sharing it.

Overall a VERY good game. one of the few that has come out lately that not only grabbed my attention but held onto it. The multiplayer is pretty good with alot of variants and a slight twist in your usual fps type deathmatching. you cant just run and gun or you are gonna die.
As far as replay value goes, you may find yourself wanting to replay just because its a fun game but other than to collect dog tags there is no real incentive to do so which is a shame for such a short but good game.

Sorry to be so longwinded but I thought you might like a good review. Like I said I went into this game expecting to hate it or at least not be impressed but man was I wrong.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: MonKENy
i got my 360 about a year or so after the GoW craze and i was always like blag blah blah another fps. but after getting my elite and borrowing the game I have to say i was sorely misunderstood.

Gears of War is an excellent game and heres why I think so

lets start with the obvious...Graphics
The graphics in this game are simply beautiful, the textures are great the buildings look old and worn down, the vegetation is sparse but realistic. the water effects in the rainy levels are astounding how they actually make everything LOOK wet and the rain falling coupled with the shadow and lighting effects. HOWEVER this game is very glitchy. lots of times effects will get stuck (like say a brdge thats supposed to collapse but chunks will hover) and clipping is a problem as well.

Controls...
Its a 3rd person shooter and theres a reason for it. The way they implement having to take cover and fight strategically would just not be possible in a 1st person environment. you have to duck and run and dive for cover all while shooting/fighting off enemies. the only problem I have found with the controls is that at odd times i will unstick from the cover im at. it doesnt happen alot but it seems to happen (at least to me lol) at the worst possible times. This would be my only worry as far as a port to pc. I dont see the controls working very well.

Sound....
Sound is great i dont see how there could be sound issues in games these days. the sound effects are realistic the music is subtle but sets the mood when its needed. the voice acting is very well done and made me smile a few times.

ahhh the AI...
the AI in this game is pretty good, depending on your difficulty level of course. On normal campaign the AI is enough to keep yuo sweating. The enemies will regularly take cover while pinning you down with fire so their buddies can flank you. They make good use of the environment and weapons to keep you on your toes. The only problem with the AI is not that its bad but when you up the difficulty level the computer doesnt get smarter they just get harder to kill, by which i mean it takes more ammo to kill them but you get killed just as fast. I would rather see the enemies out maneuver me then just be able to take a whole clip to kill.

Co-Op....
This game is made even better by the co-op mode. theres just something about flushing out enemies and flanking and strategically reining terror on the bad guys with a good friend. Nothing flawed about this. its the same as single player except your sharing it.

Overall a VERY good game. one of the few that has come out lately that not only grabbed my attention but held onto it. The multiplayer is pretty good with alot of variants and a slight twist in your usual fps type deathmatching. you cant just run and gun or you are gonna die.
As far as replay value goes, you may find yourself wanting to replay just because its a fun game but other than to collect dog tags there is no real incentive to do so which is a shame for such a short but good game.

Sorry to be so longwinded but I thought you might like a good review. Like I said I went into this game expecting to hate it or at least not be impressed but man was I wrong.

Again.....I cannot pin it down as to why so many people do this.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
Originally posted by: KeithTalent Ahh ok. Hopefully it doesn't look all foggy like the UT3 demo. KT

Nope, the palate is far from dull I might add. sometimes it is but what the heck do you want when your around dusk in a war torn post apocalyptic city. Some levels are sunny and pretty bright. some are downright Dark (granted it is night time) but where aver you are its crisp to say the least except around dusk when it wouldnt be even in RL.

As far as everyone saying theres nothing unique about the game play..I thought that at first to....UNTIL i picked up any other shooter/fps and was wishing I had the GoW controls back. Once you play GoW and get used to Active reload and cover firing and run and ducking, you want to do that in every game. I HATED playing halo 3 after this because it seems so...lacking, i guess is the best way to put it. anyway hope these reviews helped anyone thinking about getting the game on any platform :)

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
Originally posted by: warcrow Again.....I cannot pin it down as to why so many people do this.

because I didnt know any better at the time. i was just lumping into a category. I had never played it until I borrowed it and that was like 1 1/2 yrs after it came out. Now I call it a 3rd person shooter or shooter.