Why is there so much hate for guns?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Oh and some of your "gun" rampagers only used melee weapons :hmm:

The list in my link doesn't cover a bunch of shootings either, like school massacres, workplace killings and has some other countries besides the US listed.
I assumed as you did, you could sort that out on your own

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
That is a stupid comparison

19 Muslims out of 1.6 billion Muslims committed an act that really did not involve Islam at all.

Compared to at least 100's of Americans out of 300 million Americans that have gone on shooting rampages

I don't even remember half of these cases happening.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers:_Americas

Why don't you include those that were directly involved in 9/11 such as OBL, KSM, couriers, financiers, .etc? Those that helped plan the event and had fore knowledge? What about those involved in other acts of terrorism? I think that is the point that pic is trying to make, that while both groups do horrible things, they are statistically insignificant enough that making sweeping policy changes based on them would not be wise.

We have seen what policy changes due to 9/11 have turned out like.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Why don't you include those that were directly involved in 9/11 such as OBL, KSM, couriers, financiers, .etc? Those that helped plan the event and had fore knowledge?

You figure if you include the people who helped, the numbers would come close to evening out?
no...

What about those involved in other acts of terrorism?
Lord..there's thousands of terrorist acts, and thousands of different reasons for them.
I did not detail them because your picture just mentioned 911

I think that is the point that pic is trying to make, that while both groups do horrible things, they are statistically insignificant enough that making sweeping policy changes based on them would not be wise.

We have seen what policy changes due to 9/11 have turned out like.

Statistically, gun violence in the US, is a far much larger problem then any terrorist threat.
That's why the picture is stupid..

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
You figure if you include the people who helped, the numbers would come close to evening out?
no...

Lord..there's thousands of terrorist acts, and thousands of different reasons for them.
I did not detail them because your picture just mentioned 911

Statistically, gun violence in the US, is a far much larger problem then any terrorist threat.
That's why the picture is stupid..
Statistically gun bans don't work, look at Chicago. ???

Now I'm not really a gangbanger, you might be but everyone who isn't a gangbanger or rich tries to move out of places like Chicago. If they did it to the whole country cause it worked so well the first time, where are people supposed to go?

People would literally be defenseless against burglary/rape/assault. The UK might have low gun violence but they have twice the rape. You some kinda pro-rape guy? (using liberal logic of blaming random people who have nothing to do with the problem, I mean I am a gun owner I must be a maniac, since you are anti-gun you must be pro-rape)

Last edited:

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
I don't hate guns. I love 'em. I do hate the fucking nitwit halfwit assholes that go out and kill a bunch of people because they're playing "god" in their minds...

I also detest that Gun-loons are so ready to foam at the mouth, trip over themselves when these sad tragedies occur....

'BAMMA'S GONNA TAKE MA GUNS!!!!!!!!GONNA TAKE MA FREEDUMS....!!!!!!#e@#$@#!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
You some kinda pro-rape guy? (using liberal logic of blaming random people who have nothing to do with the problem, I mean I am a gun owner I must be a maniac, since you are anti-gun you must be pro-rape)

It's must be horrible living in your little world

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
It's must be horrible living in your little world

Did you try to look up the statistics and drew dead huh?

Liberals try to shame people into falling in line with their ideas. Whats so bad with fighting fire with fire?

If you don't agree with gay marriage you must be a homophobe etc.

Last edited:

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Liberals try to shame people into falling in line with their ideas. Whats so bad with fighting fire with fire?

How you can feel shame for something you don't think are guilty of?
Maybe after you grow up some more, and get a real life of your own, what those people are making you feel ashamed about will stop

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
There isn't "hate" for guns. There is "hate" for no sensible regulation.
Put it this way... If there were no requirements for car insurance, and no requirement for anyone to observe traffic laws, and no requirement for a license, well after your brand new $30,000 car was broadsided a few hundred times by some kid on crack with no license and no license and NO accountability... well you would fall in that category of "hate" when it came to lack of sensible traffic laws.
Is the lace of sensible gun law really that hard to think thru???
I know one thing for damn fact. If Mr Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) had his kid gunned down at his school, Mr Marco would be singing a different tune big time.
And that puts Marco in the highly visible class of official asshole.

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
There isn't "hate" for guns. There is "hate" for no sensible regulation.
Put it this way... If there were no requirements for car insurance, and no requirement for anyone to observe traffic laws, and no requirement for a license, well after your brand new $30,000 car was broadsided a few hundred times by some kid on crack with no license and no license and NO accountability... well you would fall in that category of "hate" when it came to lack of sensible traffic laws.
Is the lace of sensible gun law really that hard to think thru???
I know one thing for damn fact. If Mr Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) had his kid gunned down at his school, Mr Marco would be singing a different tune big time.
And that puts Marco in the highly visible class of official asshole.

we have plenty of people who drive without license or insurance as is and yet no one seems to have ruffled feathers over it.

what is "sensible"? you'll get different answers from different people, particularly those who are anti-gun vs those who are pro-gun and those who do understand firearms vs those who don't.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
That is a stupid comparison

19 Muslims out of 1.6 billion Muslims committed an act that really did not involve Islam at all.

Compared to at least 100's of Americans out of 300 million Americans that have gone on shooting rampages

I don't even remember half of these cases happening.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers:_Americas

Hundreds? You mean 119? That would be the "hundred". And the 19 involved with 9/11 are hardly the only radicals bent on jihad, that wouldn't be hundreds either, it would be tens of thousands.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Hundreds? You mean 119? That would be the "hundred".

Are you guys trying to say there is only 119 shooters in America you have to worry about?
WTF do you need to carry a gun around for?
Oh ya, this is when you argue its to defend against the gov

And the 19 involved with 9/11 are hardly the only radicals bent on jihad, that wouldn't be hundreds either, it would be tens of thousands.

I figured you were worried about what is going on in America.
If you are worried about the world pop of Jihadists, over the threat of your domestic problem, then really this discussion goes no where

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
A lot of people hate guns because they are ignorant, plain and simple. They don't know jack squat what they are talking about.

A gun is a tool. Its function is defense, not murder. I carry a gun to protect what I love, because I'll be damned if I stand idly by and let some piece of trash hurt me or my family.

My fists are tools too. They can do a lot of helpful things.

I can also kill people with them in a few different ways. Either clever punching certain areas hard enough. Or open them up and strangle them until they die from lack of air.

Where is the law to ban people for having hands?

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Are you guys trying to say there is only 119 shooters in America you have to worry about?
WTF do you need to carry a gun around for?
Oh ya, this is when you argue its to defend against the gov

Um, you posted the list.

I figured you were worried about what is going on in America.
If you are worried about the world pop of Jihadists, over the threat of your domestic problem, then really this discussion goes no where

I'm not worried about jihadist at all, nor am I worried about rampage shooters, I'm more likely to be hit by falling airplane parts than killed by either.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Um, you posted the list.

I'm not worried about jihadist at all, nor am I worried about rampage shooters, I'm more likely to be hit by falling airplane parts than killed by either.

I posted a list of gun rampages from 1986 to present
That list did not even begin to list all the gun related death in the US

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

And? I see hundreds and hundreds of people every day, and I can't remember the last time I saw someone randomly shooting people. I do remember seeing several car crashes.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
And? I see hundreds and hundreds of people every day, and I can't remember the last time I saw someone randomly shooting people. I do remember seeing several car crashes.

Ok.. you don't live in the same part of America that all this gun violence is happening in.
I often wonder why so many posters here chose to live in those places where they feel the need to be armed all the time

The thought of having to be armed to go outside just doesn't exist where I live.
It's a totally foreign concept to me that a lot of posters here have to deal with everyday

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

Yes, all the gun related death in the US. Largely confined to the inner-cities where no one wants to live and no sane person goes. We could probably fix that, but imposing gun bans the criminals are going to ignore anyway is just so much easier. :p

Foreigners seem to have this goofy idea that America is some lesser version of Somalia and that you have to "watch your back" at all times because of all the guns. I didn't carry a gun for most of my life and, outside of a few isolated incidents, felt perfectly safe. I still feel perfectly safe even when I don't carry.

The US has over 300 million people, close to 300 million guns, and only 9,000 murders with guns per year. Add the fact that a good chunk of those are regionally isolated to the inner-cities who'd be killing each other with knives if they didn't have guns, and we're doing extremely well.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Ok.. you don't live in the same part of America that all this gun violence is happening in.
I often wonder why so many posters here chose to live in those places where they feel the need to be armed all the time

The thought of having to be armed to go outside just doesn't exist where I live.
It's a totally foreign concept to me that a lot of posters here have to deal with everyday

having to be armed? i doubt anyone here thinks they absolutely *have* to be armed. they might like to be though.

and it is perfectly within their constitutional rights to do so.

the concept of guns is so foreign to people because they no longer exercise their right to bear arms.

at one point, marksmanship was taught in US high school and guns were regularly on campus.

May 16, 2000

I feel the same about fire extinguishers, first aid kits, smoke detectors, jumper cables, spare keys, etc...yet everywhere I go people have these things. Then I remember that it's a reasonably small cost and annoyance for some of those, and IF they're ever needed they're good to have, so I nod on go on about my day.

Firearms are essentially the same in many regards. We don't 'have to be armed to go outside'. We choose to be prepared in the event we ever need that particular tool.

For example, where I live the crime rate is fairly low (MUCH lower than say, the UK overall). I still carry absolutely every day, and doing so has saved me from crime/harm at least once, and been a reassurance a number of times. I therefore consider it worth the tradeoff to be prepared 'just in case'.

May 16, 2000
having to be armed? i doubt anyone here thinks they absolutely *have* to be armed. they might like to be though.

and it is perfectly within their constitutional rights to do so.

the concept of guns is so foreign to people because they no longer exercise their right to bear arms.

at one point, marksmanship was taught in US high school and guns were regularly on campus.

Just 30-40 years ago actually. My high school has a range in the basement. A couple years before I went there was still a hunting club, trap club, and shooting team. Lunches were spent cleaning and comparing weapons on campus with faculty. This is a town of ~25,000 (at the time) in SW Washington state btw, not exactly the deep south.