Why is conservative talk radio so popular?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shrumpage

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2004
Originally posted by: OrByte
Originally posted by: shrumpage
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
With freedom comes responsibility. Freedom of speech should not be given to corporations who advertise because they will always support those with the most gullible audiences. Left wing radio doesn't work very well because advertisers can't sell to liberals. They are too kool-aid immune. What commercial interests want is an audience of sheep and they find it among the ignorant and religiously pre-programmed.

What is sad is that when you empower and give ammunition to the backward they bring everybody down. It should not be legal for any program that used the people's airwaves, to present only one side of an issue. The ultimate effect will be a nation of fools and morons who vote for their own kind. All sides, all issues need to be held up to the light and examined from all sides. Only a broad spectrum of views and opinions keep the mind from fixation and fanaticism. This is why population density creates liberals. They discriminate and judge among massive amounts of life experiences and exposures, relatively speaking. The rural are feed through a conservative radio tube and are profoundly brainwashed and ignorant of what's really going on.

Ah yes, the we are liberal, we are informed, we are enlighten, we know better....

That is the kind of thinking that has screwed over my town economically, and needlessly endangered people's lives - all because 'the enlighten' know better. The enlighten ignored the rural local's opinion because they already know what is best. The enlighten pass the rules, even though the enlighten don't live under them.

As proven by this thread, the so called enlighten, aren't such - they isolate themselves more then those they accuse of the same thing. People and things they don't understand they call dumb, stupid, bigoted, hateful, etc - that is not enlightenment, it is ignorance laced with arrogance.

...what is the mantra you repeat so often? People hate what they they see in themselves? I often wonder if your dog catching career has never been so fulfilling.
You are referring to the radio shows in the bolded?

No just the comments here.

Conservative blow-hards need an echo chamber to escape the much-deserved onslaught their leadership receives from 95% of the media (at least during this election cycle, which seems to be a perfect storm against McCain).

It's a lot easier and more comforting to have your own, maybe ignorant views reinforced than to educate yourself to the issues. In fact, it's nearly impossible to truly educate yourself to the issues and the more you try, the more demoralizing it becomes.

Brain washing is a powerful drug.

Go after the Corporations, CEOs and Murdock of these Corporations doing the brain washing, putting Rush & Hannity et all in the face and brain of the weak uneducated feeble minds of the Red Mental Recessive former Americans and see if the country is savable or not.

two words:

mental masterbation

Because a fourth of the country is made up of cowards who love nothing but "staying the course", no matter how socially or economically retarded said path may be. A quarter of the US population literally cannot take in new information and modify their perception of reality accordingly, it's too upsetting to their world-view, probably because of some kind of mental disorder.

It's just a feedback loop, conservative radio regurgitates what their listeners want to hear.

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
The conservative/Republican as some sort of "underdog" is the most perpetuated myth I've ever run into.

One other thought - I frequently, and I mean frequently listen to conservative AM talk and expose myself to conservative opinion via Fox News and other right-leaning press. I do it because I like to hear both sides of the story. How many conservatives can say the same thing?

comon be honest you listen to it because its more interesting then lib radio at least thats what I have found.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
With freedom comes responsibility. Freedom of speech should not be given to corporations who advertise because they will always support those with the most gullible audiences. Left wing radio doesn't work very well because advertisers can't sell to liberals. They are too kool-aid immune. What commercial interests want is an audience of sheep and they find it among the ignorant and religiously pre-programmed.

What is sad is that when you empower and give ammunition to the backward they bring everybody down. It should not be legal for any program that used the people's airwaves, to present only one side of an issue. The ultimate effect will be a nation of fools and morons who vote for their own kind. All sides, all issues need to be held up to the light and examined from all sides. Only a broad spectrum of views and opinions keep the mind from fixation and fanaticism. This is why population density creates liberals. They discriminate and judge among massive amounts of life experiences and exposures, relatively speaking. The rural are feed through a conservative radio tube and are profoundly brainwashed and ignorant of what's really going on.

Ah yes, the we are liberal, we are informed, we are enlighten, we know better....

That is the kind of thinking that has screwed over my town economically, and needlessly endangered people's lives - all because 'the enlighten' know better. The enlighten ignored the rural local's opinion because they already know what is best. The enlighten pass the rules, even though the enlighten don't live under them.

As proven by this thread, the so called enlighten, aren't such - they isolate themselves more then those they accuse of the same thing. People and things they don't understand they call dumb, stupid, bigoted, hateful, etc - that is not enlightenment, it is ignorance laced with arrogance.

...what is the mantra you repeat so often? People hate what they they see in themselves? I often wonder if your dog catching career has never been so fulfilling.

I am a dog catcher and I had my birth and being among you hicks. All my sensibilities and instincts were formed there. I know what an ignorant putz you are because I know me.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: daniel49
The conservative/Republican as some sort of "underdog" is the most perpetuated myth I've ever run into.

One other thought - I frequently, and I mean frequently listen to conservative AM talk and expose myself to conservative opinion via Fox News and other right-leaning press. I do it because I like to hear both sides of the story. How many conservatives can say the same thing?

comon be honest you listen to it because its more interesting then lib radio at least thats what I have found.

No, I have no interest in hearing over and over what I already know.

shrumpage

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2004

I am a dog catcher and I had my birth and being among you hicks. All my sensibilities and instincts were formed there. I know what an ignorant putz you are because I know me.

You have know idea who i am. I am no hick that is for sure.

But i know the enlighten will ignore the people they should listen too, and then pat themselves on the back for the good job they did. Mean while the people they said they would help are struggling to survive as they watch their lively hood slip away.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

You have know idea who i am. I am no hick that is for sure.

But i know the enlighten will ignore the people they should listen too, and then pat themselves on the back for the good job they did. Mean while the people they said they would help are struggling to survive as they watch their lively hood slip away.

And you know this because you're "enlightened"?

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: Robor
The simple answer is ClearChannel.

I've scanned AM radio where I live (Tampa Bay area) and I haven't found a single host let alone channel that isn't far right.

One person that sees that MRR corporations own the airwaves this the brainwashing.

The rest join the circle jerk.

This is where you people are dead wrong.

If there was a liberal talk host who could pull in listeners, he would be on every market. Not because his politics are left leaning but the show is engaging and the host compelling.

Howard Stern would get most right wing conservatives all riled up - yet he had millions of listeners and in hundreds of markets.

I think part of the problem is conservative radio has been built up over decades. Hosts have slowly built up their audiences, perfecting their craft. Rush pioneered the format made it successful. Once something is proven to make money, more people will pursue it.

You can't throw some liberal on the air and expect millions of people to tune in instantly, its not going to happen. It is going to take a talented left leaning host years to built up an audience before he/she can spread to other markets and finally pave the way for a similar format.

Orrrrrr the right leaning radio stations aren't hiring liberals as hosts because they don't conform to the message they're trying to get across to the masses. You don't find it odd that an entire staff of hosts or syndicated shows are right leaning?

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

well I'm sorry you don't like it. I'm even more sorry that most of it is true.

Radio shows wouldnt be in business if they didn't give people exactly what they want to hear.

The same goes for all media out to make a buck.

I like how you dismiss those who hold opposing views by labeling it "enlightened"

like its a dirty word.

Judging upon the high horse you seem to be riding I would think your opinion qualifies as "enlightened" too. no? :)

shrumpage

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2004

Radio shows wouldnt be in business if they didn't give people exactly what they want to hear.

I like how you dismiss those who hold opposing views by labeling it "enlightened"

like its a dirty word.

Judging upon the high horse you seem to be riding I would think your opinion qualifies as "enlightened" too. no? :)

No it was the context in which moonbeam was using it. Some one who is self appointed and enlighten, there fore knows what is best for everyone. what is most annoying is i've seen first hand how this type of mentality can really screw communities over.

Particularly community.

shrumpage

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2004

I've scanned AM radio where I live (Tampa Bay area) and I haven't found a single host let alone channel that isn't far right.

One person that sees that MRR corporations own the airwaves this the brainwashing.

If there was a liberal talk host who could pull in listeners, he would be on every market. Not because his politics are left leaning but the show is engaging and the host compelling.

Howard Stern would get most right wing conservatives all riled up - yet he had millions of listeners and in hundreds of markets.

I think part of the problem is conservative radio has been built up over decades. Hosts have slowly built up their audiences, perfecting their craft. Rush pioneered the format made it successful. Once something is proven to make money, more people will pursue it.

You can't throw some liberal on the air and expect millions of people to tune in instantly, its not going to happen. It is going to take a talented left leaning host years to built up an audience before he/she can spread to other markets and finally pave the way for a similar format.

Orrrrrr the right leaning radio stations aren't hiring liberals as hosts because they don't conform to the message they're trying to get across to the masses. You don't find it odd that an entire staff of hosts or syndicated shows are right leaning?

Not really.

The format has been proven successful, therefore it is repeated.

As soon as someone comes up with a successful version with a liberal slant, the same thing will happen.

the one thing companies can't do is sit idle while a competitor comes up with something that makes money, and not get in on it.

Air America did not fail due to a right wing conspiracy, it failed because not enough people were listening.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

No it was the context in which moonbeam was using it. Some one who is self appointed and enlighten, there fore knows what is best for everyone. what is most annoying is i've seen first hand how this type of mentality can really screw communities over.

Particularly community.
Well there's your first mistake.

Taking moonbeam seriously. :p

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Not really.

The format has been proven successful, therefore it is repeated.

As soon as someone comes up with a successful version with a liberal slant, the same thing will happen.

the one thing companies can't do is sit idle while a competitor comes up with something that makes money, and not get in on it.

Air America did not fail due to a right wing conspiracy, it failed because not enough people were listening.

Maybe people weren't listening because they weren't aware? I listen to AM radio but pretty much sports talk only. I've tried to find a host that isn't a right leaning raving lunatic but so far found none. Anytime I turn on anything that involves news/politics the hosts do nothing but rail on the left in Fox News fashion. Of course, the local 970WFLA is Fox owned so no surprise but it's the same crap on 860WGUL - absolutely unlistenable. I don't even try anymore. If there was one I wouldn't know.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

like its a dirty word.

Particularly community.

Ah baloney. You've never seen anybody who's enlightened in your life.

shrumpage

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2004

like its a dirty word.

Particularly community.

Your right, that is because very few people are. Most of the time it is so self imposed feeling of rightousness that makes them justify their behavior.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

like its a dirty word.

Particularly community.

Your right, that is because very few people are. Most of the time it is so self imposed feeling of rightousness that makes them justify their behavior.

Right. You don't know anything about enlightened people but you know all about the phonies because you're well, just plain enlightened with your self imposed certainty you know who is who without knowing anything.

Now let's get serious. You just don't like what I say so you went of on a rant about something you know nothing about because you're angry. Why not just tell me what harm you have seen around you and how it came about and we can talk about something concrete and down to earth.

shrumpage

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2004

like its a dirty word.

Particularly community.

Right. You don't know anything about enlightened people but you know all about the phonies because you're well, just plain enlightened with your self imposed certainty you know who is who without knowing anything.

Now let's get serious. You just don't like what I say so you went of on a rant about something you know nothing about because you're angry. Why not just tell me what harm you have seen around you and how it came about and we can talk about something concrete and down to earth.

no...not really it was all pointed at this:

This is why population density creates liberals. They discriminate and judge among massive amounts of life experiences and exposures, relatively speaking.

Its just the same thing: people looking at what only they know - nothing outside that sphere.

no better, no worse then:

The rural are feed through a conservative radio tube and are profoundly brainwashed and ignorant of what's really going on.

Once again locked into their own sphere.

Your just assuming that the first is better, and better for everyone - even though they are just as segregated as everyone else.

Case in point - i'm sure you're a very fine dog catch, skilled at the art. Myself, i don't like dogs, nor i have I attempted to catch one - that doesn't invalidate my overall world experience. Though with capturing canines it would give less of an informed opinion on any related manor.

It must be hard to paint complete picture with such large brushes.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
I just want to point out that we now have the dueling banjo stylings of both Duewlon AND Butterbean in the SAME thread! :Q The entrepreneur in me wants to team them up for a hate radio show and then cash in on the product endorsements and advertisements for hair loss restoration, church-sponsored retreats to fix homosexuality, and John Deere tractors.

But I digress...

I also noticed that no one responded to my challenge of sorts - I admitted that I listen to Rush, Hannity, Larry Elder, etc. in order to get a good dose of the other side's point of view (and to get outraged by the outrage) - how many conservatives listen to Air America on occasion? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?
Air america sucks and is on hardly any stations. But I'd tap into it on occassion out of curiousity if it was available.

I listen to NPR daily. Does that count?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I didn't even know there was progressive talk radio (besides NPR of course). I thought Air America went off the air?

:eek:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
shrumpage: no...not really it was all pointed at this:

This is why population density creates liberals. They discriminate and judge among massive amounts of life experiences and exposures, relatively speaking.

Its just the same thing: people looking at what only they know - nothing outside that sphere.

M: This sphere business in not clear to me. One sphere may be large and another small.

s: no better, no worse then:

The rural are feed through a conservative radio tube and are profoundly brainwashed and ignorant of what's really going on.

Once again locked into their own sphere.

Your just assuming that the first is better, and better for everyone - even though they are just as segregated as everyone else.

M: Better? I don't know. More varied, more liberal, more egalitarian, more progressive, more from the future, yes. Cultural evolution is happening in cities all over the world and along coast lines. Maybe iodine is required.

s: Case in point - i'm sure you're a very fine dog catch, skilled at the art. Myself, i don't like dogs, nor i have I attempted to catch one - that doesn't invalidate my overall world experience. Though with capturing canines it would give less of an informed opinion on any related manor.

It must be hard to paint complete picture with such large brushes.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: alchemize
I just want to point out that we now have the dueling banjo stylings of both Duewlon AND Butterbean in the SAME thread! :Q The entrepreneur in me wants to team them up for a hate radio show and then cash in on the product endorsements and advertisements for hair loss restoration, church-sponsored retreats to fix homosexuality, and John Deere tractors.

But I digress...

I also noticed that no one responded to my challenge of sorts - I admitted that I listen to Rush, Hannity, Larry Elder, etc. in order to get a good dose of the other side's point of view (and to get outraged by the outrage) - how many conservatives listen to Air America on occasion? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?
Air america sucks and is on hardly any stations. But I'd tap into it on occassion out of curiousity if it was available.

I listen to NPR daily. Does that count?

Most people know nothing about real left radio. NPR is so centrist it isn't even funny in my opinion.

Here is what there is of the left:

Pacifica Radio Network
Station Dial Number Location
KPFA 94.1 FM Berkeley, California
KPFK 90.7 FM Los Angeles, California
KPFT 90.1 FM Houston, Texas
WBAI 99.5 FM New York City, New York
WPFW 89.3 FM Washington D.C.

shrumpage

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Vic
I didn't even know there was progressive talk radio (besides NPR of course). I thought Air America went off the air?

I wouldn't count NPR as progressive talk. Stations do vary in content depending on local shows and the station managers - most of the network wide stuff is just news. Not much in the way of political opinion pieces. At least no hosts I have heard along the lines of bill or rush.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

I wouldn't count NPR as progressive talk. Stations do vary in content depending on local shows and the station managers - most of the network wide stuff is just news. Not much in the way of political opinion pieces. At least no hosts I have heard along the lines of bill or rush.
My local NPR is very left leaning.

National NPR is populated by left leaning reporters, editors and writers who let it slip through on occassion obviously, and less obviously by the stories they decide are news. But I would consider it far from the fox news level of bias.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Mediamatters 2005:

NPR ombudsman denied tilt toward conservative think tanks -- then demonstrated the tilt
Summary: After claiming that National Public Radio (NPR) "does not lean on the so-called conservative think tanks as many in the audience seem to think," NPR ombudsman Jeffrey Dvorkin presented a tally of think tank experts featured in NPR stories that showed a sizable majority of experts quoted in the past year did, in fact, come from conservative institutions.

Responding in a December 14 column to listener comments on the issue, National Public Radio (NPR) ombudsman Jeffrey A. Dvorkin presented a list of the think tanks from which the radio network draws experts for comments and tallied the number of times experts from each think tank were interviewed in NPR stories. Before he presented the figures to his audience, Dvorkin asserted, "NPR does not lean on the so-called conservative think tanks as many in the audience seem to think." But those who read on would have learned that, in direct contradiction of Dvorkin's statement, the list demonstrates that NPR does in fact "lean on" conservative think tanks disproportionately.

Here is Dvorkin's list, which he described as "the tally sheet for the number of times think tank experts were interviewed to date on NPR in 2005," and his explanation:

American Enterprise -- 59

Brookings Institute [sic] -- 102

Cato Institute -- 29

Center for Strategic and Intl. Studies -- 39

Heritage Foundation -- 20

Hoover Institute -- 69

Lexington Institute -- 9

Manhattan Institute -- 53

There are of course, other think tanks, but these seem to be the ones whose experts are heard most often on NPR. Brookings and CSIS are seen by many in Washington, D.C., as being center to center-left. The others in the above list tend to lean to the right. So NPR has interviewed more think tankers on the right than on the left.

The score to date: Right 239, Left 141.

Yet contrary to his earlier denial, Dvorkin's "score to date" indicates that "NPR has interviewed more think tankers on the right than on the left."

One could argue whether centrist think tanks such as The Brookings Institution (which has been led in the past by Republicans, though its current president is a Democrat) and the Center for Strategic and International Studies (whose board of directors includes Henry Kissinger) provide "balance" to highly conservative institutions such as the American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research and The Heritage Foundation. But even accepting the classification Dvorkin uses, he has found that 63 percent of the think tank experts quoted in the past year came from conservative institutions, while only 37 percent came from liberal institutions -- a pronounced conservative tilt.

The group Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting (FAIR), using somewhat different criteria, has documented a similar preference for conservative think tanks in the American media more broadly over a number of years. FAIR's latest study is available here.

As Media Matters for America noted, on November 30, NPR's All Things Considered cited military analyst Daniel Gouré as "with the Lexington Institute, an Arlington, Virginia, think tank," but it failed to identify the Lexington Institute as a "limited government" proponent with Bush administration ties. Dvorkin noted that listeners had written to NPR regarding this omission.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Duwelon
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
Originally posted by: Duwelon
Let me guess, the best source of news is the Daily Show, amirite?
CNN, BBC, Fox News, CSPAN. I've seen the Daily Shoe only once. Funny not found.
Your bit on the deep intellectual and scholastic brilliance of Rush, Hannity, Ingraham, et al, however, is a real howler! I especially like how you render Rush's vapid Straw Man attacks as "letting the left show themselves for what they are"! That's like citing Mahmoud Ahmadinajad's deep and honest presentations on the nature of Judaism.
And you've probably listened to talk radio only once too. Try listening sometimes, you'll see quickly how much airtime someone like Obama or Biden or Hillary gets.
Fail again, Duwelon! I've listened to "Talk Radio" off and on since the late '80s. More recently, I listen to Mike Gallagher and El Rushbo once or twice a week, and I regularly listen to our local Talk Radio Talking Head on my drive home from work. I also watch O'Reilly and Hannity & Colmes two or three times a week.
Listening to Rush et al fortunately does not necessarily render one a "dittohead". I still retain my ability to reason, and can state with great assurance that Rush and Hannity are case studies in fallacious argument and reasoning.

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005

1090 am is liberal talk up here vic. Seattle