why is chinese so ANNOYING to my ears???

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gulzakar

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Spanish is not harsh, just annoying.

How so? It's all subjective. To say that something is wrong with my hearing is just plain stupid. I work around Hispanics all day long and get really tired of the tongue rolling and the "v's" as "b's"

I think the only thing that we can say for sure is that a German Opera is not a good idea.

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: EvilYoda
Damn cantos. ;)

I guess I don't really seem to dislike any language...I hear korean, viet, canto, mandarin often enough, and obviously none of the romance languages are too grating...German's okay, as my friend took German for a while in college. It's all good. :)

are you from socal? that is like the ONLY place i've ever heard anyone call people who speak cantonese "cantos"

"LOOK AT THE GRIP OF CANTOS!"

anyways, korean sounds calmer to me, but then i have a korean bf so :confused:

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Gulzakar
Spanish is not harsh, just annoying.

How so? It's all subjective. To say that something is wrong with my hearing is just plain stupid. I work around Hispanics all day long and get really tired of the tongue rolling and the "v's" as "b's"

I think the only thing that we can say for sure is that a German Opera is not a good idea.

good thought. i personally like italian and spanish. sounds very elegant and crisp to me. even though im chinese. mandarin sounds melodic, cantonese isnt BAD, but is just kind of rough and umpf sounding. of course, i know theres people who think the opposite. its just what you're accustomed to. im sure we can all agree that anyone speaking very loudly is annoying though, and its worse when its a foreign language.

and to that person who said all chinese ARE annoying, you are full of it.

d33pt

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2001
Originally posted by: kt
Chinese is a written language, not a spoken language. Mandarin is the spoken language. Which I don't think is the one you happen to overheard those two girls speaking. Sounds more like Cantonese which does sound harsh to the untrained ears.

what the hell are you talking about?

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Japanese, korean, and mandarin are pretty smooth and low key I find.

Cantonese is a bit harsh at times. And oh gawd, vietnamese is the worst. Seems like whenever vietnamese is spoken, every key and vowel is amplified 10x. eek!

ugh

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: spanky
Originally posted by: dighn
Originally posted by: spanky
Originally posted by: dighn
i'm chinese. japanese/korean sound harsh to me... cantonese sounds harsh to me as well.

oh yeah?

dew lay poke guy

(that means "i agree dude")

doesn't "poke guy" mean "fall on the street" or something like that - some kinda swear word? :p

no... of course not. just ask the waiter next time u go to a chinese restaurant.

Try using that everytime you see a Chinese on the street :)

BTW, Hakka (another Chinese dialect) is as bad as Hokkien...

Dec 28, 2001
I grew up watching all kinds of Chinese flicks and Anime cartoons, as well as study martial arts from from Korea/Japan/China, so they all sound uber-cool to me. BTW, I'm in Japanese 1 right now, and it's fun . . .. (I'm Korean . . ..) :D

Yeah, so I'm a dork. ;)

drewdogg808

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2000
Originally posted by: dquan97
Asian women usually are annoying, regardless of the language they speak ;)

i have to agree with this one. i'm half chinese/quarter viet.....but speak viet. it can be harsh sounding if its from the southern dialect. my dad speaks cantonese and mandarin, and most my relatives on his side speak cantonese....which again, can sound harsh. i've also dated korean in the past, and it sounds a little whiny to me. but i think all asian/orientals can sound harsh and obnoxious.

JonTheBaller

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2002
Why do Vietnamese people sound like they are talking chickens with socks shoved down their throats. And they are a very unattractive people at that, what's up with that and their crooked teeth?

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
my personal ranking from worst to best

vietnamese - omfg i need to st@b my ear drums!
filipino? tolgala or something?- pretty annoying
cambodia/thailand etc - languages of semi annoyance
korean - sorta annoying
cantonese - sorta annoying but lesso because i understand it:p also depends on regional accent, the range is pretty drastic.
manderin - sounds ok
japanese - sounds ok

metalmania

Platinum Member
May 7, 2002
I find Korean is so annoying to my ears even when I watch Korean movies. Signh...and so many family violence

bgeh

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Originally posted by: ManSnake
Originally posted by: slycat
Harshest chinese dialect: Hokkien/Fujian

Its like they are fighting/arguing all the time.

LOL, so true!!!

really?
i speak hokkien, am from hokkien/cantonese descent
doesn't sound too harsh

nativesunshine

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2003
i can't stand cantonese..it just sounds so harsh in my ears. but i speak mandarin and I think it's just a bit softer than canto. i dunno..maybe I'm just used to it.

Gulzakar

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
My personal favorite is Russian. Invigorating

I do like the sound of Japanese, another invigorating language.

I still have to learn my own language, Armenian, before I learn any others :) My granny would kill me if I came home speaking Farsi' before Armenian.

dexvx

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000
Cantonese is a derivative of Vietnamese. Thats why they sound similar. Anyone with a half-arse knowledge of Asian history would know that.

777php

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2001
Originally posted by: dexvx
Cantonese is a derivative of Vietnamese. Thats why they sound similar. Anyone with a half-arse knowledge of Asian history would know that.

Actually Vietnamese is derived from Mon-Khmer, Thai, and Chinese elements.

meksta

Jul 24, 2001
Umm I don't think Cantonese is a derivative of Vietnamese at all....you got that wrong.

I think Vietnamese is the "mutt" of all languages - chinese, french, dutch....whatever else.

dexvx

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000
Originally posted by: 777php
Originally posted by: dexvx

Actually Vietnamese is derived from Mon-Khmer, Thai, and Chinese elements.

Well yes, technically. AFAIK, all languages were derived *somewhere*. But it was only after China conquered Vietnam that developed the pseudo language of Cantonese, which spoke similar to Vietnam, but with a written language of Chinese.

777php

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2001
I think that Cantonese actually was born from the Qin dynasty when they took control of what is known now as the Guangdong and Fujian provinces. Political unrest and the physical distance was said to be responsible for trend to shy away from the northern languages. Thus the intermixing of the northern language and local southern dialects is where modern Cantonese has its origins.

However with no written evidence pretty much everything is speculative.

petery83

Mar 27, 2003
Cantonese and Vietnamese definitely sound harsher on my ears than say, Japanese or Korean

Crappopotamus

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2002
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
my personal ranking from worst to best
cantonese - sorta annoying but lesso because i understand it:p also depends on regional accent, the range is pretty drastic.

my regional accent - canadian. eh?!