Why is China engaging in zero tolerance covid restrictions?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
But it actually is MAGA for this younger generation. They oddly support the orange monkey. Like I get it, compared to China iron fist, the lure of “US freedom”. But what crappy news coverage do they get that paints the orange monkey in a good light that they’d support him?

Similar to all the migrants. I wonder if they could walk to Canada, would they still choose the US?

We have seen migrants die trying to cross from Canada into US in the winter by foot through the wilderness.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I could see leaving 'Murica for Canada but why would anyone with a functioning brain CHOOSE to do the reverse in 2022?

Most of the "freedom" in this country is pure lies designed to make "happy and ignorant" worker-bees of us.

:oops:

eikelbijter

Aug 27, 2009
Correction:
You do realize that CNN (Crank News Network) lies to you for a living and these people are privately laughing at how gullible you are, right?

Seriously - CNN (Crank News Network).. media has nothing but contempt for you. They think you are stupid. Are they right?
Not quite; the amount of BS coming from Fox is WAY bigger than from CNN, but as far as I can tell, those on the latter actually believe the nonsense they're spewing (eg "take the vaccine and you'll never get Covid").

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic and ch33zw1z

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Not quite; the amount of BS coming from Fox is WAY bigger than from CNN, but as far as I can tell, those on the latter actually believe the nonsense they're spewing (eg "take the vaccine and you'll never get Covid").
CNN is liberally biased, sure, but it's not divorced from reality.

and where has CNN said "if you get the vaccine you won't get covid"?

Reactions: hal2kilo

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

You're probably arguing with someone that doesn't understand the difference between infection w/SARS-CoV2 and COVID ... just FYI. Trying to explain sterilizing immunity is probably gonna be futile to someone that doesn't understand the difference.

eikelbijter

Aug 27, 2009
You're probably arguing with someone that doesn't understand the difference between infection w/SARS-CoV2 and COVID ... just FYI. Trying to explain sterilizing immunity is probably gonna be futile to someone that doesn't understand the difference.
Hilarious dude, I very much DO understand the difference. One of the first things I did when the pandemic hit, was go study the subject. MIT lectures on Immunology etc are freely available these days. I'm certainly not a doctor, but I am as well informed as most who don't do this for a living could be.

But thanks for trying to be helpful LOL

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic

eikelbijter

Aug 27, 2009

Even Biden said it! They also spread the falsehood that if only everyone would get vaccinated, transmission would end.

Listen guys, I believe in modern medicine and science, have defended it for YEARS against my idiotic friends and neighbors. I recommended to multiple friends that they should get the vaccine; I'm CERTAINLY not anti-vaccine so you can leave your PTSD trigger reactions at the door please.

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic and hal2kilo

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Even Biden said it! They also spread the falsehood that if only everyone would get vaccinated, transmission would end.

Listen guys, I believe in modern medicine and science, have defended it for YEARS against my idiotic friends and neighbors. I recommended to multiple friends that they should get the vaccine; I'm CERTAINLY not anti-vaccine so you can leave your PTSD trigger reactions at the door please.
please, provide the quote.

and if everyone got vaccinated and wore masks, transmission would have ended because the Ro value would have dropped like a rock. but, here we are.

eikelbijter

Aug 27, 2009
please, provide the quote.

and if everyone got vaccinated and wore masks, transmission would have ended because the Ro value would have dropped like a rock. but, here we are.

And sorry, but your belief is just false my friend. Look at what happened in Cali versus Florida:

It's hard to make the case that the ACTUAL masking that took place made any difference at all. If EVERYBODY wore only N95s and put them on and took them off with proper procedures at ALL times, they might have made some difference, but the reality is different.

See, you can believe whatever you want, but implied in your remarks is a resentment towards people who DON'T believe what you believe, and that's the problem.

• Haha

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Hilarious dude, I very much DO understand the difference. One of the first things I did when the pandemic hit, was go study the subject. MIT lectures on Immunology etc are freely available these days. I'm certainly not a doctor, but I am as well informed as most who don't do this for a living could be.

But thanks for trying to be helpful LOL

Ah, "I did my research". Got it. Think we're done here.

eikelbijter

Aug 27, 2009

I don't have hours to find old CNN footage, but I'll give you another example of CNN spreading misinformation:

Now mind you, I don't believe Ivermectin is a good answer to Covid, but the fact is, CNN was structurally disseminating the idea that it's horse medicine, when it's clearly been used in humans for a LONG time.

• Haha

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Very helpful post! And then you wonder why people don't trust the establishment anymore......

I mean this same argument has taken place many times on here before. And it always boils down to the person shouting "but they said you'll never get it" not understanding the basics coupled with some weird Mandela effect on how they think vaccines work. So it ends up being a waste of time to try and de-program that person.

• Love

eikelbijter

Aug 27, 2009
I mean this same argument has taken place many times on here before. And it always boils down to the person shouting "but they said you'll never get it" not understanding the basics coupled with some weird Mandela effect on how they think vaccines work. So it ends up being a waste of time to try and de-program that person.
You accused me of something COMPLETELY false, I explained to you that I do know, and instead of apologizing for your mistake insinuation, you make fun of me!

In reality, I spent hundreds, yes HUNDREDS of hours, studying the material; not fringe bullshit, actual MIT lectures, medical papers, and you are arrogant and foolish enough to just dismiss me! The sad part is, there are MANY like you, perhaps even more than those morons who believe all the ludicrous conspiracies surrounding this subject.

Bottom line is, it's fools like you that could make that Orange despicable disaster president again with your arrogance......

• Haha

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
You accused me of something COMPLETELY false, I explained to you that I do know, and instead of apologizing for your mistake insinuation, you make fun of me!

In reality, I spent hundreds, yes HUNDREDS of hours, studying the material; not fringe bullshit, actual MIT lectures, medical papers, and you are arrogant and foolish enough to just dismiss me! The sad part is, there are MANY like you, perhaps even more than those morons who believe all the ludicrous conspiracies surrounding this subject.

Bottom line is, it's fools like you that could make that Orange despicable disaster president again with your arrogance......

The point is/was that anyone who digested the amount of research you say you did, and actually understood it, would never make the argument you did in that original post. It would require you to believe that an almost impossible claim was being made instead of the more likely conflation of infection and disease (usually for simplicity sake) being made by the person making the statement. Someone with a passable grasp of the subject would obviously get the difference and know which of those were case.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

its people who vote for trump that will make him the president, not the “look what you made me do” garbage

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

And sorry, but your belief is just false my friend. Look at what happened in Cali versus Florida:

It's hard to make the case that the ACTUAL masking that took place made any difference at all. If EVERYBODY wore only N95s and put them on and took them off with proper procedures at ALL times, they might have made some difference, but the reality is different.

See, you can believe whatever you want, but implied in your remarks is a resentment towards people who DON'T believe what you believe, and that's the problem.
fair point that biden made an absolute statement, instead of a qualified one which the snopes link supports.
so getting the vaccine substantially reduces the risk of infection, and almost guarantees no risk of death as opposed to providing complete immunity from infection per Biden's quote. I'll take substantially reduced risk of infection, and virtually 0 risk of death any day.
Now if you compare it with other forms of misinformation...say, HCQ or ivermectin, neither of which have any proven clinical efficacy, you're talking the difference between inches and light years. Yes, Biden's statement is technically incorrect. But he's not far off the mark. Recommending HCQ or ivermectin is horseshitdewormer and has no business being brought up in at all, and yet it was parroted by conservative media and the goddamn POTUS.

which again, at the population level, would have kept us far and away from over 1,000,000 deaths. Dr. Birx was of the opinion that the first 100,000 deaths were unavoidable because of how unprepared we were. Let's even give her estimate a fairly wide margin of 500,000 deaths being unavoidable. That's still 500,000+ people that died because of willful mishandling from an administrative standpoint and widespread mis- and dis-information

and as for florida, DeSantis was all too happy with "we have treatment" as a response. you know what's more effective than treatment? prevention!
mRNA vaccines are a fucking shitton cheaper than any monoclonal antibody treatment by a longshot. orders of magnitude. (i take a -MAB drug and its cost is $130k for a 52 week supply)

Last edited:

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
FL vs CA for the results on how they handled COVID is another laugher. FL deaths per capita is like 50% higher than in CA. FL is also higher in that metric than even NY, which had the unfortunate circumstance of taking the brunt of the first wave in early 2020 before ANY treatment/vaccine was available.

BLUF: FL did a fucking terrible job, and they're strangely proud of it.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
FL vs CA for the results on how they handled COVID is another laugher. FL deaths per capita is like 50% higher than in CA. FL is also higher in that metric than even NY, which had the unfortunate circumstance of taking the brunt of the first wave in early 2020 before ANY treatment/vaccine was available.

FL: 386/100k
CA: 247/100k

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yep. Numbers don't lie.
The idea (as promoted by conservative activists) is if you adjust for age of the population Florida's numbers are a lot closer to California's. Of course the very clear problem there is that you're then putting your thumb on the scale to control for variables that are unfavorable for Florida (age) but not for variables that are unfavorable for California (crowding).

It may be true that once you engage in rigorous research Florida's performance looks less awful than the numbers suggest but:

1) I haven't seen it.
2) If you had a lot more old people that sounds like exactly the reason you would want more rigorous protections! It's basically saying DeSantis knew or should have known he had a bigger problem than other states and just let them die anyway.

EDIT: Oh and the reason they are proud of it is conservative elites want DeSantis to be their presidential nominee in 2024 so it's important not to admit any errors on his part. They will declare he did a great job forever.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
The idea (as promoted by conservative activists) is if you adjust for age of the population Florida's numbers are a lot closer to California's. Of course the very clear problem there is that you're then putting your thumb on the scale to control for variables that are unfavorable for Florida (age) but not for variables that are unfavorable for California (crowding).

It may be true that once you engage in rigorous research Florida's performance looks less awful than the numbers suggest but:

1) I haven't seen it.
2) If you had a lot more old people that sounds like exactly the reason you would want more rigorous protections! It's basically saying DeSantis knew or should have known he had a bigger problem than other states and just let them die anyway.

EDIT: Oh and the reason they are proud of it is conservative elites want DeSantis to be their presidential nominee in 2024 so it's important not to admit any errors on his part. They will declare he did a great job forever.

Yeah, you can't say "but if you ignore this huge demographic we did not as bad" and win that argument. You (DeSantis) knew you had an elderly population, and you knew they were susceptible, and you still did next to nothing about it. Those people are still dead because you did next to nothing.

And for the record, FL under 18 deaths were also higher than CA as well. Gee, I wonder why.

It's another set of just completely intellectually dishonest arguments.

Mar 11, 2004

And that's if you can even trust the Florida numbers as is, which I'd say probably shouldn't since they kept going out of their way to try to not report and/or manipulate them.

Mar 11, 2004
Ah, "I did my research". Got it. Think we're done here.

Oh yeah you should've known to ignore that poster. I think they have an alert set for any COVID related thread on here as they've tried to muddle up every single one with their nonsense.

Mar 11, 2004
But it actually is MAGA for this younger generation. They oddly support the orange monkey. Like I get it, compared to China iron fist, the lure of “US freedom”. But what crappy news coverage do they get that paints the orange monkey in a good light that they’d support him?

Similar to all the migrants. I wonder if they could walk to Canada, would they still choose the US?

Its because he talks like them. That's why they like him. Kids are fucking morons, and all they know is he talks like them and that pisses off adults.