why generation y yuppies are unhappy

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
I think there are a couple of problems with Gen-Y folks (I am one of them), but in my opinion this is the biggest. They have been told two things all of their life:

1.) You have to go to college to be successful
2.) Do something that makes you happy

From this, a couple of things usually happen.

Young people who have no business going to college end up doing so, and don't make much of it. They end up taking on large amounts of debt, and usually take a really long time to finish, if ever. Some of those that do finish end up majoring in the easiest subject thinking that just because they get that piece of paper it will lead them to success.

On the other hand, you have folks where college is the right choice, but they do not do any cost-benefit analysis when selecting a major. It's all about what they like to do and what makes them happy. I do not think there is anything wrong with that, but at some level you have to do a bit of research to see if what you are doing is marketable. There has to be a balance.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I think there are a couple of problems with Gen-Y folks (I am one of them), but in my opinion this is the biggest. They have been told two things all of their life:

Young people who have no business going to college end up doing so, and don't make much of it. They end up taking on large amounts of debt, and usually take a really long time to finish, if ever. Some of those that do finish end up majoring in the easiest subject thinking that just because they get that piece of paper it will lead them to success.

On the other hand, you have folks where college is the right choice, but they do not do any cost-benefit analysis when selecting a major. It's all about what they like to do and what makes them happy. I do not think there is anything wrong with that, but at some level you have to do a bit of research to see if what you are doing is marketable. There has to be a balance.

...and then the people who don't go to college think they're failures because that's what they were told they needed to do in life in order to succeed.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Every generation is complained about by the previous generations. We didn't like Generation X because they were depressed and surly. We don't like Generation Y because they want to be happy. I wasn't there, but I heard the Greatest Generation didn't hold the hippies in high regard.

The important thing is that we all agree things are getting worse and it's someone elses fault.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011

This is exactly, dead-on accurate.

Told to do what they love, well they don't love math and chemistry, so maybe they hate sociology less, so they get a degree in that. And now they are asking me if I want cream with my coffee because that degree is worth almost nothing.

The bullshit starts early, though. Kids are told to do what they love but the practicality of this statement is beaten out of them through year after year of school, having to spend time in many subjects they don't love and which, frankly, serve no purpose, either (I'm talking to you, second-language).

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
That was generation X who did that. The baby boomers paid their mortgages decades ago and generation Y is mostly saving up for a house (or planning on living with parents forever).

Umm no. The ones who stripped regulations that would have prevented it are the boomers. The ones that ran the banks, whose JOB IT IS to vet who to give loans to, is who did it.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
...and then the people who don't go to college think they're failures because that's what they were told they needed to do in life in order to succeed.

No, they think they are failures because you can't get a job without the new high school diploma that is college.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
The jobs that were expected to be available for Gen Y were all shipped overseas. They were sold out by the baby boomers in demand for higher returns on their retirement accounts.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Really? So Gen Y was going to college to become blue collar workers and those jobs were shipped overseas?

Yeah really. There are going to be blue collar workers every generation. Those jobs are gone. It was the boomers who care more about short term profits over their own people.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Yeah really. There are going to be blue collar workers every generation. Those jobs are gone. It was the boomers who care more about short term profits over their own people.

So please explain why it's so hard to find people willing to work in field service trades? Why do they work for a few weeks and quit even though the pay/benefits are good? The fact of the matter is Gen Y is predominately lazy and only want to work cushy office jobs.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
So please explain why it's so hard to find people willing to work in field service trades? Why do they work for a few weeks and quit even though the pay/benefits are good? The fact of the matter is Gen Y is predominately lazy and only want to work cushy office jobs.

Well no duh. Half of Gen Y workers are women now. Do you think feminists would have been able to push women into the workplace if they told women they would have to spend 10 years a day in a coal mine?:hmm:

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Well no duh. Half of Gen Y workers are women now. Do you think feminists would have been able to push women into the workplace if they told women they would have to spend 10 years a day in a coal mine?:hmm:

I can tell you that we have several women who work circles around their male counterparts with far less quality issues. Some of the best TIG and stick welders I've met were women.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004

Are you trying to use anecdotes as facts? Where are these jobs located? Bumfuck US?

More importantly, are you DENYING the massive outsourcing done by boomers?

Are you also trying to say that non blue collar jobs like IT have been outsourced?

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004

So, your definition of feminist is any non redneck who doesn't want to oppress women then? Just want to clarify that.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Are you trying to use anecdotes as facts? Where are these jobs located? Bumfuck US?

Are you also trying to say that non blue collar jobs like IT have been outsourced?

These jobs are coordinated out of the Houston area and the projects are located throughout the US in refineries, chemical plants, power plants, and papermills. Travel is required though in some cases the personnel can drive from home if the jobsite is close enough.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
These jobs are coordinated out of the Houston area and the projects are located throughout the US in refineries, chemical plants, power plants, and papermills. Travel is required though in some cases the personnel can drive from home if the jobsite is close enough.

So, you do want people to move to bumfuck US. Texas, the 49th in education in the country, with low/lax regulations(plants explode).... this is where you want people to go and WORK for those plants? Yeah, no thanks.

Convenient that you ignored all of the non blue collar jobs that have been outsourced like crazy, including IT, courtesy of the baby boomers!

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
So, you do want people to move to bumfuck US. Texas, the 49th in education in the country, with low/lax regulations(plants explode).... this is where you want people to go and WORK for those plants? Yeah, no thanks.

Convenient that you ignored all of the non blue collar jobs that have been outsourced like crazy, including IT, courtesy of the baby boomers!

LMAO!!!!! You really are dense. Did you not see "throughout the US"? We have personnel that live in all parts of the country. Texas is not the only state that has these plants I mentioned. There's quite a few in the Delaware river valley which includes the shithole of a state where you live.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
I notice around here you see a lot of women running heavy equipment for road repair
Pay is good, they tend to be reliable workers who party less in those small town bars they end up having to stay in. Seem to be better suited to fine motor control now that a lot modern equipment use joysticks and much more subtle switchgear to run the hydraulics

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Why do they work for a few weeks and quit even though the pay/benefits are good?

Because they do not want to work full time jobs.

While I was working for ohmstede in the late 1980s, sometimes we would hire construction hands. After about a month those people who were used to working construction would ask when do we get laid off?

I told them we do not get laid off around here.

Their usual reply was "I am used to working for a couple of month, then getting laid off for a couple of months." When they realized it was a full time job and they were not going to able to take off and draw unemployment for a couple of months, they would usually get their tools and walk out.

To hell with a full time job with benefits. they wanted to be able to take off 2 or 3 months during hunting season. And that is what they would tell me.

Baby boomers gave us free trade, gatt and nafta, I am not going to deny that.

As for jobs being in bumfuck US, where do you think your gasoline comes from? Someone has to go to where the oil and natural gas is at.

Last edited:

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
So, your definition of feminist is any non redneck who doesn't want to oppress women then? Just want to clarify that.

So your definition of "oppressing women" is not tricking them into doing things that make them unhappy?

Young professional women may not relate to the financial struggles their Millennial peers are protesting against during the Occupy New York movement. After all, these ambitious go-getters are working as doctors, lawyers, engineers, and advertising executives, blessed with great salaries, health benefits, and paid vacation.

But these women understand the protestors’ frustration and unhappiness over the fact that their lives aren’t supposed to turn out this way. This is why a growing number of young professional women who seem to “have it all” are burning out at work before they reach 30.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larissa...llennial-women-are-burning-out-at-work-by-30/

And those are the women who have the cushy office job. They were sold a fantasy that working would make them happy and fulfilled.

If someone had told women working in a coal mine for 10 hours a day would make them feel happy and fulfilled women would have laughed in their faces.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012

... According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the number of Texas jobs has grown 31.5 percent since 1995, compared with 12 percent nationwide. Following the financial crisis of 2009-2011 the job growth was only 2.4 percent…but this was still six times higher than the anemic 0.4 percent growth rate of the overall American economy.

... Despite an economic slowdown between 2002 and 2011, Texas trounced the national average in adding well-paying jobs. For industries paying more than 150 percent of the average American wage Texas added 216,000 jobs, compared with 495,000 for the entire rest of the country. In other words, the Lone Star State with 8 percent of the U.S. population added nearly one-third of the country’s highest-paying positions. In addition, Texas added 49,000 positions paying between 125 percent and 150 percent of the U.S. average, compared with the rest of the country which lost 174,000 jobs in that category.
From: Texas Doesn't Need To Secede; Tis Better For The Union To Join Texas And Succeed

Screw You, We're from Texas

Uno

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Lets just go ahead and face it, people no longer know what makes them happy.

If you listen to commercials, the only way to be happy is to be in massive debt - buy the new phone, buy the new TV, buy the new car,,,, buy, buy, buy until you are tapped out.

True happiness can not be based on physical items. Having something is not going to make you happy. People have to make a decision to be happy, nobody and nothing can can force you to be happy.

My exwife was very unhappy when we were married. When I tried to talk to her about her mental health, she would say "look at who I am married to." In other words, she blamed me for her being unhappy.

After I left and we divorced she still was not happy. A decade after we divorced and she is still angry and bitter at the world.

Happiness is a decision we make within ourself.

The problem with generation Y is they have been told so much garbage they do not know what they need to do to be happy.

A couple of months ago my wife and I planted a willow tree in the front yard. I have been watering the tree so much a frog has made the mulch around the tree its home. Its the little things that should bring us happiness. Such as seeing a tree grow, a frog, a squirrel playing in the trees, chickens scratching at the ground, wind blowing through the trees,,,, those are the things that should bring us happiness.
Well said. I'd add that it takes two people who are compatible though; if one person is happy watching chickens scratch and the other needs Broadway shows, they'll generally be happier apart.

Spot-on. That isn't just young people though; I had a neighbor who was almost sixty. She bought her house only a month after I bought mine, but she kept pulling out equity. After she got divorced she again pulled out all the equity, then when she lost her job (before the crash) she owed as much as the house was worth with no way to pay it. Come the crash, she owed more than the house was worth, refinanced into a government program which ostensibly was to lower her payments a few bucks a month but in reality was to put the taxpayer on the hook for the bank's losses, and was forced into a short sale. Usually we outgrow stupid, but some people embrace it as a lifestyle.

Still, your points are certainly valid. If you're going to major in psychology (other than as pre-med) or anthropology then you'd best be at the very top of the field or resign yourself to earning little. I'd also add that a lot of times I think students are taking not what makes them happy, but what is easy enough to not interfere with what makes them happy.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

If you need a job, and that is where you could actually get one... Yes! You are the shining example of the Y Generation attitude. Thank you for reinforcing the argument. That is also why they suck.