why generation y yuppies are unhappy

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
This is why some liberals are such dumbasses. They pick one small detail, regurgitate it without context, and use it to broadly denigrate. Intellectual dishonesty FTL.

Texas leads the way in high wage employment as well. Forbes has 7 Texas cities on their Top 10 list of best cities for job growth.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkotkin/2013/05/06/americas-best-cities-for-jobs-2013/

The big "liberal" conspiracy again... you guys really need to seek help.

Your Forbes link simply reinforces that they are leading in job growth..when it comes to minimum wage... and poaching jobs from other states is hardly overall job growth.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Back to subject
My parents got married in 61 on a weekend back to work Monday, zero honeymoon nor did they expect one. Mat leave back then was two weeks, no company sponsored year off. All the 20 yr olds where my wife works plan weddings more than a down payment on a house, that's some f-ed priorities, sorry princesses you cant afford it.

Every region has peaks and valleys , no area has hundreds of years of continual growth seems stupid to argue about it. A nation is strong because not everywhere is there strength or weakness and can ride out global fluctuations.

If only anecdotes are evidence. Btw, how many people over 60 are retired? I could have sworn a decent amount of them were still in the workforce because they have no savings, despite the easiest time in modern history...

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
wat?? all those tattoos / nose bolts / iCrap and they aren't happy??

Nov 30, 2006

Your Forbes link simply reinforces that they are leading in job growth..when it comes to minimum wage... and poaching jobs from other states is hardly overall job growth.
There's a ton of extremely positive facts about job growth in Texas as well which you intentionally ignored as they didn't support your anti-Texas agenda. But I understand where you're coming from and fully understand your wanting to focus on a such a tiny wart on such a big ass of progress since it's the only way you can spin your hopelessly twisted agenda. You're a mindless partisan hack and hacks do this....I get it.

Also, the reason for their tremendous growth is not due to their poaching jobs from others states...this is a lie. Please provide a link from a credible source or admit that you shamelessly make up shit as if it's fact because that's what hacks like you do.

BTW...here's an interesting sidenote from the article that you failed to mention for some odd reason, of all the large metro cities in the US...guess which one was at the bottom of the list...Newark-Union, N.J. If you're so eager to throw stones about job growth...perhaps you should start in your own backyard before making a complete idiot out of yourself.

Last edited:

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
I've posted lots of demographic information and links
Retirement is 65 because back when they set it up that's what the avg life expectancy was, it was never intended in this economy that anybody would retire. If you made it past avg congrats, now that avg is 80 people should work past 60 .

I'm 50 so I REMEMBER, I see the houses all my Aunts and Uncles used to live in, my cousins slept on a bench that folded down over the kitchen table
Party phones lines, reality, no indoor plumbing, reality, many many things today people take for granted, AC in a car! Caddilac

Last edited:

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
Retirement is 65 because back when they set it up that's what the avg life expectancy was, it was never intended in this economy that anybody would retire. If you made it past avg congrats, now that avg is 80 people should work past 60 .

I'm 50 so I REMEMBER, I see the houses all my Aunts and Uncles used to live in, my cousins slept on a bench that folded down over the kitchen table
Party phones lines, reality, no indoor plumbing, reality, many many things today people take for granted, AC in a car! Caddilac

The problem is that life expectancy has increased to 85-ish (can't remember the exact numbers and it's different for men and women anyway) but the healthy, capable life expectancy hasn't come as far. Neurodegenerative diseases as well as chronic cardiorespiratory conditions have meant that a lot of people become unsuitable for work as they get older, but medical science has improved to the point where they can live with this disability for significant periods of time.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002

I would take that any day over all this icrap in my parents ibasement.

Just kidding I refuse to move back in even though its probably necessary for me to save for a house. Many of my friends do however.

It has alot to do with social status. Gen Y will always be seen as kids, boomers will always get job preference over us until they "work till they drop" as most of them are planning.

"never trust anyone over 30" and social security brochures, remember those too? :awe:

The boomers turned the establishment on its head by sheer demographic size to gain their social status and political clout. Gen Y has none of those. Every other bill is raising student loan interest rates or docking healthy 26 yr olds for not having healthcare to pay into it for all the boomers depleting it. Ugh. As we compete for jobs the boomers shipped away. Hah... lol... alright. Companies are struggling to pay their pensions as promised in the private sector and squeeze (guess who) for extra productivity (hint Gen _).

Inheriting the national debt...And on and on and on, all I can do is laugh at the absurdity of it all I guess lol.

Last edited:

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
I agree quality of life at the end has probably changed but so has job profiles, they are a lot less labor intensive than they used to be which is why so many seniors ask if you want fries w that.
Medicine needs to be more preventative than reactive in this light, heart disease used to just kill people, now they survive on Warfarin, if they had lived a healthier lifestyle they'd be able to go the distance in less distress

Way back in the earlier posts I said don't blame gen Y's and its just a different reality for them as it was for me as it was for my parents and so on, the surprise by people my age is when did it switch from a job to a fulfilling career? The shock of the 4 yr BA degree graduates sense of entitlement is the underlying issue and yes the boom is/was responsible for raising their kids that way. I come from depression parents we was taught different

Last edited:

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
There's a ton of extremely positive facts about job growth in Texas as well which you intentionally ignored as they didn't support your anti-Texas agenda. But I understand where you're coming from and fully understand your wanting to focus on a such a tiny wart on such a big ass of progress since it's the only way you can spin your hopelessly twisted agenda. You're a mindless partisan hack and hacks do this....I get it.

Also, the reason for their tremendous growth is not due to their poaching jobs from others states...this is a lie. Please provide a link from a credible source or admit that you shamelessly make up shit as if it's fact because that's what hacks like you do.

BTW...here's an interesting sidenote from the article that you failed to mention for some odd reason, of all the large metro cities in the US...guess which one was at the bottom of the list...Newark-Union, N.J. If you're so eager to throw stones about job growth...perhaps you should start in your own backyard before making a complete idiot out of yourself.

Twister agenda and partisan hack? Who would I be hacking for? The middle/right democrats or the republicans? Isn't it funny that the guy with a conspiracy theory about "liberals", which don't exist in politics in this country, is calling someone else out: ).

Having a huge portion of your job growth being minimum wage and having a 30% rate of uninsured people, along with the 49th in education... Yeah, your link did nothing to change that!

Newark is a shithole, and anyone that has been to that airport knows about it. Are we going to go city by city now? Block by block?

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Way back in the earlier posts I said don't blame gen Y's and its just a different reality for them as it was for me as it was for my parents and so on, the surprise by people my age is when did it switch from a job to a fulfilling career? The shock of the 4 yr BA degree graduates sense of entitlement is the underlying issue and yes the boom is/was responsible for raising their kids that way. I come from depression parents we was taught different

Hmm yea I don't have many issues so long as people are reasonable. People lose the ability to remember that things change and are currently changing right now. Everything happening now was a long time in the making.

I really like the distinction "When did it go from a job to a fulfilling career" because so few Gen Y'ers have fulfilling careers. We'll always be out parents kids (And our parents are living to be 85+)

Nov 30, 2006
Twister agenda and partisan hack? Who would I be hacking for? The middle/right democrats or the republicans? Isn't it funny that the guy with a conspiracy theory about "liberals", which don't exist in politics in this country, is calling someone else out: ).

Having a huge portion of your job growth being minimum wage and having a 30% rate of uninsured people, along with the 49th in education... Yeah, your link did nothing to change that!

Newark is a shithole, and anyone that has been to that airport knows about it. Are we going to go city by city now? Block by block?
Blah, blah, blah...when all else fails, divert! Where's your link proving that Texas job growth was due to their poaching jobs from other states? This was your only real chance to prove that you might actually have a shred of intellectual/moral integrity. Being idiot is one thing...but being a willfully dishonest one is quite another.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Blah, blah, blah...when all else fails, divert! Where's your link proving that Texas job growth was due to their poaching jobs from other states? This was your only real chance to prove that you might actually have a shred of intellectual/moral integrity. Being idiot is one thing...but being a willfully dishonest one is quite another.

Huh? I never made that claim. It was just something additionally pathetic from texas. If they are successful, they aren't creating new jobs... just stealing from another state. Moving jobs around isn't job creation.

Could you tell me about your phantom liberal conspiracy theories?

Or would you care to address the multiple points about Texas that you conveniently ignored!

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Texas rocks New Jersey sucks get over it. I would move to Texas in a heartbeat whereas NJ is yet another liberal hellhole.

Nov 30, 2006
Huh? I never made that claim. It was just something additionally pathetic from texas. If they are successful, they aren't creating new jobs... just stealing from another state. Moving jobs around isn't job creation.

Could you tell me about your phantom liberal conspiracy theories?

Or would you care to address the multiple points about Texas that you conveniently ignored!

Yes, you did.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Meanwhile shadow9d9 is planning his move to Texas. Geesh, maybe reminding libs that their shitholes are eclipsed by Texas isn't such a good idea?

Next thing you know, Texas will be taken over by annoying Jersey morons and other than a booming market for way too much spray tan and hair gel, everything will go straight to shit.

Does anyone in TX really want an influx of this?:

slide_4127_57711_large.jpg

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Meanwhile shadow9d9 is planning his move to Texas. Geesh, maybe reminding libs that their shitholes are eclipsed by Texas isn't such a good idea?

Next thing you know, Texas will be taken over by annoying Jersey morons and other than a booming market for way too much spray tan and hair gel, everything will go straight to shit.

Median income and land values are much higher in New Jersey than in Texas, which implies that not only is there higher competition for land, but also higher competition for the workers.

If an area with that much demand is a 'shithole', what does that make Texas?

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Land more valuable in a state with ~1/35th the amount of land? Median income significantly higher in a state where the cost of living is significantly higher? I can't believe it!

Nov 30, 2006

I don't care who it's directed to....I personally don't appreciate cheap shots like this. I know we are loosely moderated, but this is very, very inappropriate my opinion.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Land more valuable in a state with ~1/35th the amount of land? Median income significantly higher in a state where the cost of living is significantly higher? I can't believe it!

The size of the state doesn't matter, it's how in-demand the land in that state is. You could take an exactly New Jersey shaped piece of Texas and it would be worth less.

Regardless, my point was that the median person in New Jersey has more money and lives in a more valuable spot than the median person in Texas. To be clear, this is not because I am actually trying to pump up New Jersey or denigrate Texas, I just wanted to show that idiot that he might want to be careful with what he labels as a shithole.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
If an area with that much demand is a 'shithole', what does that make Texas?
Demand for what?

New Jersey's unemployment rate is 8.5 (41st in the nation) Texas's is 6.4 (17th in the nation).

Texans enjoy more spending power, and as pointed out several times here, some of the current best job markets in the country.

The only good thing about the over-inflated price of real estate in New Jersey, is that if you can find someone dumb enough to buy your house, you can move the hell out (like more people are doing than are moving in) and buy a better house elsewhere for half the cost, and with far fewer taxes. (Jersey real estate taxes are ridiculous.)

Anyone who really thinks that more people are clamoring for a piece of land in Newark vs. Austin or Dallas, needs their head examined.

Once again, the only people that hate TX are dumb libs that hate the fact that TX is currently proving all their big government/high tax rates/punitive business climates is nothing but a load of horseshit.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
LMAO!!!! More hilarious statements from you. There may be a few democrats that are in the middle but they damn sure don't line up on the right.

Then surely you could post 5-10 "liberal" pieces of legislation! Feel free to explain following Bush's policies and how their signature legislation is lifted directly from the heritage foundation! I look forward to reading!

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Then surely you could post 5-10 "liberal" pieces of legislation! Feel free to explain following Bush's policies and how their signature legislation is lifted directly from the heritage foundation! I look forward to reading!

What does liberal legislation have to do with liberals being left of center? There's no such thing as a liberal that's to the right of center.....period.

You can repeat your BS as many times as you like but it will not make it become the truth.

Last edited: