Why don't they remake games like movies?

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I was thinking this - some games are screaming to be remade. Imagine the Baldur's Gate series using the Dragon Age engine, or Deus Ex using the Unreal 3 engine. I would have thought developers would be interested in doing this as the plot and gameplay has basically already been done for them, and all they need to do is create the game in a new engine.

They remake movies constantly and they are generally successful, so why not games? I'd buy Baldur's Gate in a heartbeat as would many new generation of gamers I suspect.

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
I agree with this. Wasn't the Riddick game remade? I never played either of them so I'm just going from something I read quite a while ago. But yes, I agree, great games from the past should be remade.

Kromis

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
Imagine if Fallout 1 and 2 was remade into something like Fallout 3! Heads will roll!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
IP. Too many issues. Easier to continue a franchise you already own, or make up a new one.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I think what you mean is why don't they remake "good" games. The reason is that it would take as much work as the original did in the first place. Everyone knows about the hated EA sports games and their annual remake.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Erm...

Anyone remember when Westwood remade Dune 2? Dune 2000 was an abomination of a game.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I would murder for a new release of FF7.

They kept teasing us with a PS3 remake but it never actually happened.

And I agree they should remake good games, even if its just to fix issues and get it working on more OS's and with more hardware. KOTOR 1 and 2 in particular.

Am happy with Serious Sam HD but that game was too simple and violent and fun to be in need of a remake. Baldurs Gate and such would be prime candidates. Supposedly most of the work on the series was in the quests and story. Just remaking things exactly as before but with better visuals and a more flexible engine wouldnt be too much work.

bullbert

May 24, 2004
Contract, copyright, red-tape-wise it might be harder to re-make a classic.

Thank your Friendly Neighborhood Lawyer-Man(tm).

Trademarked so you can't use that phrase, either. ;)

But yeah. Damn publishers, and those damn game designers who are stupid enough to get used by them.

WildW

Oct 3, 2008
evilpicard.com
I would love Microsoft to do a proper PC remake of Crimson Skies. The original was awesome - so much love clearly went into it.

I'm still waiting for Rare to do a modern take on Snake Rattle N Roll :p

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
System shock 1/2 remake would be awesome, i never played it and its too dated to get into now, when your used to running around the jungle slaughtering koreans with a nanosuit with crazy graphics its tough to play a 90's game.

@Fanatical Meat - What do you mean a proper TA remake? Wasent supcom meant to be that? I never played TA so supcoms the only experience ive had with that type of RTS.

Feb 4, 2009
Personally I enjoy sup com and I only played TA on a friends PC but I rememer it having more variation between the units but yes sup com is a good game in it's own way

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
System shock 1/2 remake would be awesome, i never played it and its too dated to get into now, when your used to running around the jungle slaughtering koreans with a nanosuit with crazy graphics its tough to play a 90's game.

@Fanatical Meat - What do you mean a proper TA remake? Wasent supcom meant to be that? I never played TA so supcoms the only experience ive had with that type of RTS.

You could still play SS2.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I would kill for a good number of remakes. SS1/2, BG1/2, PS:T, FO1/2, C&C, RA, etc. etc. etc.

bullbert

May 24, 2004
I agree crimson skies, a proper total anilation or xcom remake wold be great

I can still DosBox XCom1 and XCom3 (and actually did this past year), but yes, a graphics update and new-OS support would be great. One problems, though, would be: do they update graphics to "next-gen's" 4+ year old console graphics standards, or do they hit a moving target and try to get the best visuals possible as of this next spring? But other than a more modern user interface to XCom1, I am not really sure how you could improve either's gameplay though...

acabose44

Jan 9, 2010
I remember some remakes like The Secret of Monkey Island, Defender of the Crown, Sid Meier's Pirates! and Colonization. Sure i would be glad if they brought back to life some old jewels more often instead of making so many consolized crap.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
It's a dream for most gamers to see one or more of their old favorites being remade in recent or today's graphics/engines standards, but it happens very rarely, unfortunately.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
They remade some Sid meier Games; Pirates!, Colonization, RR Tycoon (Sid Meier's Railroads)

Risen is basically a Gothic remake.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
There is an open source remake of x-com that used a converted quake 2 engine. Its been awhile so who knows if they were still working on it, but I played awhile back.