Why does Pizza cost so much ?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
i really miss 10 cent wing nights. wings are ridiculously overpriced lately, theres no reason for them to be 9 bucks a dozen.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Originally posted by: Sea Moose
I have a far easier method.

Tell gf i want pizza for dinner.

She makes it or orders it

I eat pizza

profit

Easy as that may be, I enjoy cooking. My family enjoys my cooking. My wife prefers it when I cook (who's wife wouldn't?).

If I want to eat out, we go to the bedroom.

BAMM!

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

Originally posted by: akshatp
I can go to the local Grocery store and buy 2 large Digorno's for $5 each

So why didnt you? And then add $8 for the frozen wings. And then preheat your oven for 15 minutes. Then cook the pizza. Then turn on your deep fryer (if you have one). Then fry your wings.

Good luck getting that frozen sodium pie evenly heated, and better luck getting everything to the table warm... should only take a couple of hours and a bunch of cleanup after.

I really dont understand people that complain about food prices from restaurants. Yes, they charge more than what they pay for it. WOW they make a profit, shame on them for trying to stay in business!!!

Preheating is overrated. I have never preheated in my life.

And I don't think Pizza Hut fries their wings. The one time I had them they looked and tasted like frozen wings from the grocery store that had been heated in the oven.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005

I eat pizza

profit

Easy as that may be, I enjoy cooking. My family enjoys my cooking. My wife prefers it when I cook (who's wife wouldn't?).

you win this thread :beer:

Sea Moose

Diamond Member
May 12, 2009

I eat pizza

profit

My pizza has no crust or topping... I assume your older than me possibly with kids :evil:

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
I haven't made pizza at home in years. That crap was fun to do, and tasted pretty good. Never could get the crust, but that's just a handle anyways.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
LOL @ OP.

You did not use coupons or special prices/combo and then complained about the high prices?

So $30 for two large pizzas = $15 per pizza. If you used coupon, a large pizza would cost you around 12 or 13 bucks.

I can get a steak at home for 1/4 or better of the price of a similar steak at the steakhouse too, you know.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: evident

I eat pizza

profit

you win this thread :beer:

Pizza isn't the only type of pie to eat!

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Originally posted by: Staple68
Cheese is very expensive

Yeah, right! :laugh:

Last price I saw per pound for wholesale (the price that decent pizzarias should be paying) was well under $1.50 per pound for low moisture, part skim mozzarella cheese. A typical large 16" pizza contains about 1 pound of cheese, give or take depending on the restaurant. Sauce runs around $18 per case (6 large cans), and that goes a long ways. Pepperoni & other toppings are the most expensive on a per pound basis, but it certainly doesn't make up more than half the cost to make a pie.

at every chain 14" is considered 'large.' so there is even less cheese.

bobdole369

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2004
Cost of ingredients to make 1 lb of dough - about $0.30. Cost of ingredients to make sauce (spices, tomato sauces, sometimes fresh tomatoes, every place is different) - about $0.10. Cost of 1 lb cheese for a pie - even wholesale - its about $2.25 for Grande, other brands are comparable. Cost of any ingredient is negligable. Pepperoni is about $1.30 a lb and you use 1/4 lb on a pie. Most expensive is fresh spinach, chicken, or tomatoes. Even those are less than a buck at pizza portions.

So your whole 16" pie costs roughly $4 in materials to make. Mom and pops gotta pay for the cook, ovens, electricity, rent, water, high school preppy chicks to take the order, and sometimes advertising and phones. Gotta pay for the computerized ordering system too. So thats why it costs $15.95 for a large cheese pie.

Dominoes is a rip. Cheap stale dough, substandard often old cheese, delivered by the scum of the earth in a toyota Tercel.

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000
Go to Wegman's or Whole Foods Pizza's are about $12 a piece and better than 90% of what you can get at any chain/costco/sam's

a good pizza IMO has

1). cheese that will string up 10" after you take a bite and pull it away from your face
2.) a thin but not crispy dough (ie foldable)
3.) a sauce that is not sweet, not bland, some tartness to it and an otherwise good flavor its hard to describe

No national chain even meets 1 let alone 2 and 3

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Homerboy
any of the chain places mentioned in this thread SUCK. I really dont get how people with a choice order and eat that crap. Local Ma and Pop places will bury ANY of them 100xs over.

are there any chain places for any type of food you do like?

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002

I eat pizza

profit

Cornhole Salad.

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002
Originally posted by: rh71
Originally posted by: Homerboy
any of the chain places mentioned in this thread SUCK. I really dont get how people with a choice order and eat that crap. Local Ma and Pop places will bury ANY of them 100xs over.

are there any chain places for any type of food you do like?

probably IHOP/Junkerds Townhouse

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I just don't understand why people here always try to comapre little local places to national/international chains. They are very different. For an international chain, Pizza Hut is the best pizza.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
The mama mia pizzas from pizza hut are pretty good, and are $6 anytime for a medium which should be good for 2 meals. $3 a meal is pretty solid anywhere you go.

Lounatik

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Wolfgang Pucks frozen pizzas were good.

Put impossible to find and not cheap.

$5 for a little ass pizza

They were made by Schwans, the same folks who make Red Baron, Tony's and Freschetta. And they have been discontinued due to a lack of movement and Schwan's total inability to promote a good product. I know, I quit there and went to the Digiorno side of town.

Now I see that someone said that their Digiorno tasted like cardboard, I don't know if you got a pizza from a store that has a longer than normal defrost cycle, because that can definitely affect the taste of a pizza. I sell a whole lot of Digiorno, California Pizza kitchen and Tombstone in the area I service, so it can't taste that bad, can it? OTOH, I have not eaten a frozen pizza in about 3 years seeing I've been selling it for 15 years.

Peace

Lounatik

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

I eat pizza

profit

respect!

You should try it, she'll make a foot long for $5.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Candymancan21
Anyone else notice how much it costs to order Pizza from basicly anywhere. I was going to order from Pizza Hut and when i got the total (ordering online) i almost shit. I was going to order 2 Large Stuffed Crust Pizza's, and 20 Wings and they wanted $41 without the wings it was $30. I dont remember Pizza ever being this expensive last i remember it was like $20 or so for 2 pizza's. Domino's and all the local pizza places were about the same price

I can go to the local Grocery store and buy 2 large Digorno's for $5 each

its not the pizza thats expensive... its the employees + chain profits.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
chain stores aside, making a good pizza is a pretty expensive process. However most chains are using average cheese, vegetables that wouldn't look to good on a salad bar, and a basic sauce/toppings.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Pizza costs so much as pizza buyers have to cover the tax costs churches aren't paying.

Also pizza ingredients are very expensive if the pizza is made properly (cheeses, pepperoni, sausage).

Aquila76

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
www.facebook.com
Stop going to chains. Not only are their prices horrible, so is their food compared to a local Mom & Pop. $30 will get me 4 pizzas and a 2L soda from the shop down the street LINK. A combo like what you wanted is $23.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Aquila76
Stop going to chains. Not only are their prices horrible, so is their food compared to a local Mom & Pop. $30 will get me 4 pizzas and a 2L soda from the shop down the street LINK. A combo like what you wanted is $23.

Looks like it's actually $32 plus tax and tip for the special you mention :p
Better prices than any of my locals, though.